21 Programs to Analyze and Benchmark Your Hardware

I'm getting too old for this sh*t.

I usually go like:

1. Do I really need the upgrade? No.
2. Do I want the upgrade? Yes.
3. Seriously, I won't get any benefit at all in the games I play, still want it? Yes.

Then I install whatever I bought and enjoy the glorious new hardware. Just like that.

You forgot to mention Corona raytracing test (which is actually a CPU test, not Nvidia RTX test). I know that name "Corona" may have a bad reputation lately, but on the other hand... that's exactly what makes it popular, isn't it? :)

And it's a pretty good multi-core multi-thread CPU test.

I can think of many things that would be more fun the bench marking. Does it play the game I want and does it render in a manner that does not make me snooze. Beyond that...

AIDA64 Can help you stress test your entire pc and find out if you have a failing piece of hardware. With the free trial no cc needed.

Thank you for the list and comparison.

I know that displays are not hardware usually tested and stressed, Tim has covered the part for the different type of displays and how they works. He missed to mention what soft/hardware he used to make his conclusions.

So, here I am, asking for software (I now for hw Scorpion5, etc) - is it avail, or its only with hardware possible?

Thanks! :)

I'm getting too old for this sh*t.

I usually go like:

1. Do I really need the upgrade? No.
2. Do I want the upgrade? Yes.
3. Seriously, I won't get any benefit at all in the games I play, still want it? Yes.

Then I install whatever I bought and enjoy the glorious new hardware. Just like that.

It is plainly clear this article is not for you. You are not an enthusiast nor an overclocker.

For those who do research and build their own rigs, usually you don't need to upgrade. That being said:

It is easy to see how you can take what hardware you have and compare if you swapped out other hardware. Most people throw money at it and have no idea it's a waste. I found a couple excellent resources you can compare against a single upgrade versus a whole new rig:

userbenchmark.com
gpucheck.com

So, here I am, asking for software (I now for hw Scorpion5, etc) - is it avail, or its only with hardware possible?
That's a good question and apologies for not including monitors - I'll have a nosey around.

Where's Prime95?
Although the number 20 was picked arbitrarily, I did want to stick to that limit and it meant dropping some obvious choices: Prime95 being one of them. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's great for grinding your CPU to a smoking pile of dust :)

userbenchmark.com
Now that's a proper 'controversial' choice :p

Please explain. The benchmarks I ran against my systems appear to be accurate when swapping out certain components such as cpu and ram.

it appears to be pretty biased against AMD. but don't take a possible "AMD shill's word"... r/hardware and r/intel are even banning it, with a soft ban on r/AMD at the moment

If not a recommendation, what is?

that's the big question. Phoronix and Peuget Systems (commercial software required for the latter) aren't a bad starting point...

You guys forgot Blender Benchmark!

also, here's a pretty big but by no means conclusive graphical benchmark list by myself with some screenshots, too!

!

it appears to be pretty biased against AMD. but don't take a possible "AMD shill's word"
There doesn't seem to be a way of questioning Userbenchmark's summary of products without being accused in some way, shape, or form.

For example, the comparison of the Core i5-9400F and the Ryzen 5 3600 contradicts the results in the database:

It's also a rather different outcome to our testing:

But different testing methods and platforms can often yield disparate results, and this is a single selection. But if one selects the Ryzen 7 3700X, you'll find the allegation that it is no better than an Core i3-9100F (and this is also contradicts the database):

Which seems rather odd, given that we found the 9100F to be no better than the Ryzen 5 1600AF:

If one browses the Intel CPU summaries, there's little-to-nothing with regards any negative criticism, which can't be said the same commentary about Ryzen products. Both vendors have good and bad points, but to apparently ignore both sides of the coin is unfair to the consumer using the service.

Prime95 being one of them. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's great for grinding your CPU to a smoking pile of dust :)

That's exactly what I use it for lol. Stress test my cpu cooler and find fan noise levels for setting fan profile.

Where's Prime95?
Actually, Prime95 seems like an unfinished app. I just downloaded it, unzipped it and after trying to run it..... guess what... it died immediately with an exception. Didn't see something like that in a long time.

It is plainly clear this article is not for you. You are not an enthusiast nor an overclocker.

For those who do research and build their own rigs, usually you don't need to upgrade. That being said:

It is easy to see how you can take what hardware you have and compare if you swapped out other hardware. Most people throw money at it and have no idea it's a waste. I found a couple excellent resources you can compare against a single upgrade versus a whole new rig:

userbenchmark.com
gpucheck.com

Look, I'm aware how to benchmark, compare and most importantly; have a critical approach in my everyday life, whether it's my job or computer parts. But thanks anyway. I think it's a great article.
I'm just saying that I'm long overdue with the endless benchmarks and comparisons like I used to do and I tried to be funny about it.

I've been building my own rigs for 22 years and It's honestly embarrassing how many benchmarks I did back then before I even started my games.
I had to run atleast 5 benchmark programs after each RAM tweak and 50 Mhz OC for that sweet 1 fps gain. I might be laying it on thick, but you know what I'm saying.

Nowadays I simply use sites like Techspot to compare my existing hardware with the hardware I want without fiddling with benchmarks myself. I still consider myself an enthusiast eventhough I really can't be bothered with trawling webshops for B-die kits, binned CPU's and whatnot. As you probably know, Shadow of the Tomb Raider benefits alot with RAM tweaking, but I don't care, I've never played the game and I don't plan to.

I don't render heavy threaded workloads nor do I care for synthetic numbers.
I simply like to game and my computer far exceeds any recommended specs for the games I play. But I still love building computers and get new hardware, just for the sake of having it.

AC: Origins is also a great way to test an overclock; I've seen overclocks survive all kinds of benchmarks and then BSOD on that game.

Installed Prime95, run it, crashed immediately. What kind of a benchmark is that. Never had any problems with Corona benchmark.

It's a stability test not a benchmark. probably means your system isn't stable

My system is turbo stable. All other apps work amazingly, can't remember that any other normal app has crashed. But Prime95 wouldn't even start.

All the other benchmarks that I've tried work flawlessly. 3D Mark, CPU-Z, Corona, CineBench, Unigine, no problems whatsoever. I even run 3D Mark 2001 (yes, from 2001) and it worked. It's a bench that doesn't work on most of computers with Windows 10 (and it actually wouldn't run on my previous computer). So it's not my system that doesn't work, it's Prime95. No problems with any other app whatsoever.

Back