2K is skipping WWE wrestling sim after last year's disaster, working on arcade-style game...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? 2K on Monday confirmed that it will not be releasing a WWE 2K wresting style simulation game in 2020 but will instead launch an arcade-style WWE game with “over-the-top” designs, moves and environments.

WWE 2K Battlegrounds is being developed by Saber Interactive, the studio behind NBA 2K Playgrounds. In fact, it looks a lot like the basketball game, with cartoony avatars and theatrical performances. It’s scheduled to launch this fall; no word yet on which platforms it’ll be available for.

As for the simulation series, the publisher said it appreciates the feedback it has received regarding WWE 2K20. Launched last October, the game was heavily criticized for its multitude of glitches and other issues, resulting in a Metacritic store of just 43 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

That said, 2K is foregoing a WWE 2K simulation game this year and will focus on what comes next. The publisher has recruited Patrick Gilmore to lead the effort as executive producer at Visual Concepts. Gilmore has more than 25 years of industry experience and has worked on hits including Aladdin, Killer Instinct and Medal of Honor, just to name a few.

In the interim, 2K will also keep the WWE 2K19 servers up and running for those still playing that title.

Permalink to story.

Isn't WWE arcade anyway? Rehearsed maneuvers, elastic floor, weak punches and a bunch of name calling? When I was 10 I thought it was real, but I was 10...

Isn't WWE arcade anyway? Rehearsed maneuvers, elastic floor, weak punches and a bunch of name calling? When I was 10 I thought it was real, but I was 10...

Tell that to the wrestlers familys left behind from early heart attacks, suicides and a murder suicide....

The on screen antics are theatrical and overly dramatized, but their work outs and travel schedule is grueling not to mention HGH or other supplements or steroid use.

Im sure its also much darker behind the scenes than it seems knowing all this.

So instead of fixing issues or not wanting to, you skip a game that typically mimics whats seen on tv for a cartoony wrestling game that no one asked for? Yep that's a publisher for you.

While the show is scripted, injuries do happen. There is also a toll on your body from the training which leads to injuries not to mention the emotional and stress that's put on the wrestlers.
Wrestling itself is just like any other entertainment but ppl still want a real to life like game, arcade wrestling style came and went in the 80's and 90's. Its been done.

I know that WWE is physically demanding, but it's not an actual fight, was my point. The winner(s) is known in advance and more or less everything is roughly scripted. If anyone has any doubt, well, there is a good documentary on Andre The Giant. It pretty much covers whole WWE while actually telling us the story of Andre.

PS. How many loose screws people have in their heads is beside the point. People commit suicides in all walks of life, people get injured at work, or at home...all of that is "life".

Last edited:
Back