Status
Not open for further replies.

PRELUDiCON

CPU: 2.6c
MOBO: ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
HDD1: MAXTOR 120GB w/8MB Cache @ 7200RPM
HDD2: MAXTOR 300GB w/16MB Cache @ 7200RPM

Question:

In my BIOS setup, when I choose any of the above Hard Drives... I get taken to another page full of options... all are selected as AUTO... except the last one "32-Bit File Transfers" is set to DISABLED... with the only other option being ENABLED...

What does this mean?
What would ENABLING it do in terms of performance?

The ATA interface transfers data 16 bits at a time (we had 16-bit PCs when the standard came out). Since modern PCs are 32-bit then it is more worthwhile to take two of those 16-bit chunks and transfer them to the CPU or memory together.

It will give you a small performance boost if you enable that option.

Nodsu said:
The ATA interface transfers data 16 bits at a time (we had 16-bit PCs when the standard came out). Since modern PCs are 32-bit then it is more worthwhile to take two of those 16-bit chunks and transfer them to the CPU or memory together.

It will give you a small performance boost if you enable that option.

Thanks for reply.

Forgot to mention [doubt it changes anything] that the drives are S-ATA.

If it will give me a 'small' perfomance boost to enable this option... just curious as to why it is disabled by default?? :suspiciou

No idea.. Maybe just a precaution to make sure everything works - SATA is a relatively new technology and may have glitches.

It will not be two times faster or anything close. You will probably not even notice the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back