71% of students own or would prefer a Mac, claims survey

midian182

Staff member
Bottom line: It’s a question that has been asked in the tech world for decades: PC or Mac? While there have been plenty of debates over this conundrum—it usually depends on the needs and wants of the user—it appears many higher education students prefer the Cupertino company’s machines.

According to Apple device management company Jamf, 71 percent of college students own or prefer the Mac. The results come from a survey carried out on behalf of the organization by research firm Vanson Bourne, which interviewed 2,244 current college and university students across five countries about what computers they use and which they prefer.

Forty percent of the participants said they use a Mac, meaning 60 percent of the students are on the PC. However, 31 percent of those PC users said they actually prefer Apple’s laptops, which means the total percentage of those using or favoring Macs is 71 percent. Just 29 percent of those surveyed said they use and prefer the PC, though there was no option for “Use Mac but prefer PC.”

Not too surprisingly, one element that is putting students off moving from PC to Mac is the latter’s high prices—51 percent of the PC owners would prefer to use a Mac if the cost was not a consideration.

Interestingly, the main reason participants prefer the Mac isn’t to do with its specs or software; 64 percent just like the brand. The second most-popular reason (60 percent) is their style and design, while 59 percent like their ease of use.

Other key findings include 83 percent of students with Macs wanting to continue using the machines once they enter the workforce, though 78 percent of participants believe it's important for an employer to offer employee choice.

It’s worth remembering that 2,224 participants are only a tiny fraction of the world’s students, and that the survey was commissioned by a company involved with Apple products, though the results do illustrate the power of Apple’s brand, especially among younger people.

Permalink to story.

Smartest thing Jobs did 20+ years ago..."giveaway" Mac's to schools (tax write off of course).
Got them indoctrinated into the Apple ecosystem. When they got older, they migrated to what they
were familiar with. iPods, iPhones, iWatches, macs.

I for one would like some reputable news organization to do a study on how much student loan money has been used on Apple and Google/Android products...

I refuse to believe that these kids standing on line for annual releases are legitimately earning this much money.

I remember back in 1999 how my best friend used his Pell/Seek money to buy a Compac 1GHz desktop which easily set him back $2000.

...and COOGI clothes.

...and Air Jordans.

Probably has something to do with the reason I actually graduated and he didn't.

Last edited:
Macs are the thinnest, lightest, most well built and most powerful laptops on the market. - despite that keyboard issue - and that's why the free market continues to choose them over the competition.

They don't need the highest end Intel CPU or GPU simply because they run more efficiently.

My Alienware 17" and 15" both weight far more than the equivalent Mac does.

Macs are the thinnest, lightest, most well built and most powerful laptops on the market. - despite that keyboard issue - and that's why the free market continues to choose them over the competition.

They don't need the highest end Intel CPU or GPU simply because they run more efficiently.

This is quite wrong on few levels. Macs also throttle very, VERY badly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtHhvcdjNWw

Still, I would opt-in for a Macbook as a student solely based on the tools you get. Alternatively a Thinkpad or Chromebook on budget.

This is quite wrong on few levels. Macs also throttle very, VERY badly.

Still, I would opt-in for a Macbook as a student solely based on the tools you get. Alternatively a Thinkpad or Chromebook on budget.

I'm sure the average mac user is sitting in the airport right now with their lightweight mac and totally upset by how much throttling it's doing....:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Where is the rolls eyes symbol?

These expensive Macs are nothing more than status symbols just like their iPhone counterparts. That's the only reason people want them. They look sleek and the dock has fancy icon animations when you mouse over them. Anyone with a brain would overlook one of these devices and buy a much cheaper computer with Windows.

I'll agree with p51d007, it's probably tied into how many school systems rely on Macs & the Apple ecosystem. First computer I ever used were the Apple II+/e models our elementary & middle school back in the 80s...& when they came out with the first Macs in high school, Apple also ran a promotion where you could bring in box tops & can labels to get a free Mac for the school. I ended up being surprised when I went to college & discovered other PCs that weren't Apple products. And ooh, boy, once I discovered the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter DOS-based games for Windows, there was no looking back.

They want them cause they don't have them and you know grass is always greener on the other side.

Why does Apple related stories (almost) always garner the most comments on this site?
Why the hostility? If Apple makes crap, why are other tech companies and enthusiasts always looking at what they're doing and trying to emulate their success?
Let people buy what they want, that's called freedom of choice.

This study reflects the ineptitude of todays kids and shows why many studies of this type hold very little useful information. Kids today are touchy and easily offended, right down to mods on forums, cough...cough.
No, 2/3 adults do not play video games.
No, 70% of students don't want an Apple, they are voicing their displeasure by saying that in a survey.
Apple is popular and fun to use, but Microsoft gets the job done, and owns the business side of the IT spectrum in most - all facets.
Sorry kids but going to work, having a job, signing into the company's domain with your user ID and punching data into Excel charts isn't as fun as painting a blue horse on your Apple.
Awww poor entitled babies, my heart is sore for your splash of cold reality, how I loath thee.

Other key findings include 83 percent of students with Macs wanting to continue using the machines once they enter the workforce, though 78 percent of participants believe it's important for an employer to offer employee choice.
Good luck with that.

Poll results aside, I use Jamf on a corporate level to manage our "Fleet" of ipads, and I do enjoy how easy it is to do so.

Why does Apple related stories (almost) always garner the most comments on this site?
Why the hostility? If Apple makes crap, why are other tech companies and enthusiasts always looking at what they're doing and trying to emulate their success?

People posting at TechSpot are gamers and/or at least moderately interested in the tech side of computers. Neither of these categories overlap well with most Mac users.

Mac users want a good computer and a good looking computer and that's what Apple delivers. Let's be honest, most PCs look like ****, and the ones that don't look a lot like Macs. Note that I haven't said anything about cost and I said Macs are good, not great. Macs are wayyy BFing overpriced but those people mentioned above seem happy enough to carry around a 3lb thin machine as opposed to a 4lb fugly machine.

I don't see Apple getting any undeserved criticism. Go look at the Microsoft articles here as well, they get just as much flak for the BS they pull.

Keep in mind also that the company that was commissioned to do this has a serious vested interest in making Apple products look good.

Back