7800 GS question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am currently new to the forum and thank whoever reads this post.

The notorious question of, why my graphics card is slow while playing BF2, but runs well with full graphics and full weather on Flight Sim 2004?

Current system specs:

MSI/SIS 645dx motherboard
Intel P4 2.6 gHz
1 gig RAM
BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC AGP
Soundblaster Audiolgy 2 LS
Plenty of HD space
300 watt power supply

All the drivers for the video card are up to date and work well. The only problem I see while playing BF2 is slow game play when building structures appear. I have read about the 7800 GS needing at least a 350 watt power supply, (Mine is 300 watts), could this be problem? Would a 500 watt power supply due the trick? After much reasearch I read many people with the same problems have resolved my similar issue with a higher power supply. Any help or second opinins would be greatly appreciated.

That is most likely the problem. If it is a generic psu..it probably is 70% effeciency..so that means your actually only getting about 220-250 W..I would say a 500-600 W. PSU would be good...and is future proof so you wont have to buy anothe one when you decide to upgrade your system in the future.

In general, a weak power is going to result in instability and such, not lowered performance. In your case though, you're really stretching it and *should*, by all means, get a new PSU. I just wouldn't do so with the expectation of it solving your performance problem.

Looking at your system specs, I can clearly see where you would have problems with BF2 though.. especially playing online.

BF2 is a memory hog and 1 gig isn't enough for online play with higher settings. 1.5gig to 2 gigs is preferred as you're likely swapping to pagefile like crazy.

Also, as it's a P4 system with SiS chipset, I'd be concerned with other performance factors- such as dual-channel memory, low memory latency and disk performance.

If everything else with your system is running correctly and tuned properly, going to 1.5 gig to 2 gigs will likely solve your problem alone.

Also, what kind of internet conncetion do you have? You may not have a high enough bandwith. Try playing BF2 offline, or in career mode (if their is one)..and see if its still slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back