98 explorer.exe fatal error on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I my friend has brought me her laptop with windows 98 on it. On bootup everytime explorer.exe has a fatal exception.

when I hit ctrl alt delete there are only two programs running Gbpoll (go back)and Ati2plab (monitor/videocard driver?) both which are okay files.

I really don't know where to go from there.

I have made a boot disk from another win98 computer. Thinking I can boot in Dos and check things out but not sure what to look for.

I have tried goback but it only goes back an hour or so. There are further dates back listed. :(

She does not have a disk for it but I have a windows 2000 disk(from classes I took) I could do a fresh install from but we tried that once before on this computer and it just froze. :(

Thanks for any ideas,

Gidge

Well I made a boot disk and I put it in and it goes to drive A just fine. Thing is I can not get it to change to c no matter what i do. i did fdisk and it says that the drive is such and such big, but it refuses to change to c.

i wanted to make sure I used the right thing to change.

i tried C: , cd c:, cdriv c: , cd c , c , cdriv c

nothing works.

it is acting as if the harddrive is not even there. is there a way for me to test to see if it is there?

thanks again,

Gidge :)

Well when you boot to the boot disk you need to keep an eye for where it tells you the files are loaded to. Like it is probably loaded to D or something. But to change drives you are correct by typing C: or D: or whatever.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back