A man is running for governor of California to run false ads on Facebook

nanoguy

Staff member
A hot potato: A California man has decided to call out Facebook for its broken ad policies by engaging in the gubernatorial race and asking for donations, so that he can run false ads. While his plan is mostly a form of protest, he suggested this could easily become a fully fledged campaign.

When Senator Warren tested Facebook's ad policies by intentionally lying in a political ad, the company did nothing but repeat their line that it wouldn't be the arbiter of truth when it comes to political ads posted on its platform.

Adriel Hampton, a political activist from California decided to take things further, so he registered as a candidate in the 2022 gubernatorial election with the specific goal to run false ads on Facebook on his own. He wants to test the limits of how much misinformation he can spread on President Trump, executives like Mark Zuckerberg, and other high profile personalities before Facebook will decide fact-checking should also be applied to what politicians post on the platform.

Hampton says he also plans to target Twitter executives, as the company has a similarly lax policy that it applies on tweets from politicians. It's worth noting that unlike Facebook, Twitter is looking for ways to distinguish political discourse that breaks its community rules by using special labels. Whether that has anything to do with its financial situation is anyone's guess, but its willingness to find solutions is better than Facebook's hard stance on an arguably broken policy.

To put things in context, Hampton is known for his Pac, the Really Online Lefty League, which recently ran an intentionally false ad that showed South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham as an ardent supporter of the Green New Deal. Facebook did eventually flag and remove the content, but that's only because the page isn't run by a politician.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg defended his company's policy as a protection of freedom of speech, but earlier this week hundreds of employees sent him a letter asking him to make significant changes to the rules. With political ad spending estimated at $10 billion for 2020, some may argue the chances of persuading him are small, but we'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, a survey of over 1,600 U.S. adults conducted by CivicScience has revealed that almost three out of four people want Facebook to take responsibility in fact-checking all political ads.

Permalink to story.

Anyone else remember the "alternative facts" talking point in the last election. Frankly, without everyone being properly educated in science, economics and history most people won't be able to determine for themselves what's true and what are lies.

Both parties lie but both parties also tell it like it is in many respects. However, it is only through education that we, the electorate, can tell what is BS and what is true. Facebook and Twitter could use their own set of "alternative facts" to support their political agenda. Heck, manipulating people's news feed is probably WAY cheaper than paying lobbyists for these companies

Anyone else remember the "alternative facts" talking point in the last election. Frankly, without everyone being properly educated in science, economics and history most people won't be able to determine for themselves what's true and what are lies.

Both parties lie but both parties also tell it like it is in many respects. However, it is only through education that we, the electorate, can tell what is BS and what is true. Facebook and Twitter could use their own set of "alternative facts" to support their political agenda. Heck, manipulating people's news feed is probably WAY cheaper than paying lobbyists for these companies
Honestly, I think calling fakebook and tweeter news sites is a very large stretch, and anyone who thinks they are news sites is definitely in need of an education.

Facebook doesn't care what your political orientation you are, they'll take your ad money. Even if the ad is harmful to the American public or turns Americans against Americans.

"When Senator Warren tested Facebook's ad policies by intentionally lying in a political ad."

Lol. That's not unusual. Not sure if she was really trying any harder than before,
Besides, Facebook is a debate in search of an argument.

I wish that politicians and their 'advertising' could all carry appropriate warning labels. A good one might be, "REGISTERED POLITICIAN: bald faced lies may be hazardous to your freedoms.", "PAC Advertising: Emphasis on half truths at best.", "Political Advertising: Maintain Perspective.".

Others?

I wish that politicians and their 'advertising' could all carry appropriate warning labels. A good one might be, "REGISTERED POLITICIAN: bald faced lies may be hazardous to your freedoms.", "PAC Advertising: Emphasis on half truths at best.", "Political Advertising: Maintain Perspective.".

Others?
Danger: Toxic Waste Dump

It's been the name of the game for thousands of years, really. Only "Americans" aren't real and "people" are.
And perhaps this is something that we agree on. Humanity shares traits with primates especially this. The ape that makes the most noise wins - most of the time. However, chimpanzees have been known to rebel against bullies.

IMO, humanity works best when it works together. As long as there are those out there that want everything for themselves, humanity will never find its true greatness.

Would any of this fall under false advertising laws? They are basically selling their service to you in exchange for votes.

As much as I hate social media companies like Facebook, I think they're making the right call here. They absolutely should not be acting as arbiters of truth when it comes to issues like politics.

As much as I hate social media companies like Facebook, I think they're making the right call here. They absolutely should not be acting as arbiters of truth when it comes to issues like politics.
IMO, the better path is the path that Twitter has announced - just don't accept political ads.
That is why we need Andrew Yang - only candidate trying to find a common ground, instead of running to the outskirts of the political spectrum.
I looked at some of his stances on the various issues and he does look very interesting to me.

As I see it, we definitely need a real leader to lead us out of this us vs them mentality. As Abraham Lincoln once said "A house divided against itself cannot stand." http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/house.htm

For that to mean anything, both sides would have to accept that kind of leadership. Perhaps the current administration is pushing the populous in that direction. We will see.

Back in the early days of television, there was an advertising code of ethics(?huh?) which false claims would get the ad canceled. Today there's no ethics at all and the medical ads on tv are an inverse stimulus -- if it's on tv I don't want anything to do with it.

Lincoln was one smart "leader" (we have neither today IMO)

(Matthew 12:25) Knowing their thoughts, he said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself comes to ruin, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand.

it's really quite simple:
(Matthew 5:37) Just let your word ‘Yes’ mean yes, your ‘No,’ no. . .​

Wisdom is where you find it, not at all an issue of who, what or which politic

Back