Advice needed on CPU / gfx card / Mobo combination...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
I need to pick some brains with regards to me finally upgrading my P3 600 to something more this millenium.

I use my machine primarily for video editing, but with this upgrade am wanting to mainly use it for 3d (3ds max and maya).

After reading god-knows how many threads I've decided to go for a geForce 4200 / 128 MB (x8 AGP) card and an Athlon XP 2200 or 2400 (1.8ghz or 2.0 ghz - I think the bus speed is 266 or 333).

I need to know what motherboard to mount all this on that will have it all running smoothly together. Apparently the nForce Mobo is a good one (??) - but seeing as I've blown all my budget on the card / cpu I need a cheap option. Can you buy these items from places like Dabs or Scan already built onto the mobo?

Any advice / feedback would be greatly appreciated!
:D

options

if you want to stay cheap...........stay behind the curve with current amd processing (the better number crunching processor) and some nforce board with a 128 meg card ddr.....but, we are soon going to see the HAMMER...........this architecture may well leave everything else in the dust and fast.......if it is all they say it is.......the videocards are going to race to support it............doom 3 @ movin' FPS...........so, it's your call.....have fun

I'd get the 2100 ($70) and your GF4 128MB card ($130). Thats not too much, $200. Plus a mobo, say a Asus A7V8x, your running ~$300. Thats not too bad.

Originally posted by StormBringer
I'd recommend the 2400 and an Asus A7N8X.

Agreed, ASUS is a reputable mobo manufacturer. Why not Radeon 9500 (128mb version)? They can be obtained at a price range of arond $160 to $200.

the Leadtek K7NCR18D nForce2 motherboard is only $80 with shipping, unless you're out of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back