AGP Aperture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panic_MD

Hello. Can someone tell me what's the proper setting for your agp aperture size or it does not make a difference. i'm running a bfg 6800 gt oc,256 mb at 4X. ta.

As far as I`m aware you should set your AGP aperture to the same size as your graphics card. I.E in your case to 256mb.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Panic_MD said:
.......i'm running a bfg 6800 gt oc,256 mb at 4X.
I'm running the exact same setup, as far as the video card. BFG recommends the AGP Aperture be set the same as the memory on your card, same as Howard said, but I don't find that much defference at any setting. So, from the research I've done on this, I find that it's recommended, the higher amount of memory you have, the smaller the aperture size should be. I have mine set at 64, works just fine, at least for me. The quote below is from here.

Please note that the AGP aperture is merely address space, not actual physical memory in use. Although it is very common to hear people recommending that the AGP aperture size should be half the size of system memory, that is wrong!

The requirement for AGP memory space shrinks as the graphics card's local memory increases in size. This is because the graphics card will have more local memory to dedicate to texture storage. So, if you upgrade to a graphics card with more memory, you shouldn't be "deceived" into thinking that you will need even more AGP memory! On the contrary, a smaller AGP memory space will be required.

It is recommended that you keep the AGP aperture around 64MB to 128MB in size, even if your graphics card has a lot of onboard memory. This allows flexibility in the event that you actually need extra memory for texture storage. It will also keep the GART (Graphics Address Relocation Table) within a reasonable size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back