Am I upgrading the wrong thing first?

Do i need to upgrade my CPU first

• Yes, you need to upgrade your CPU

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, Your CPU is fine

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
I think I might be upgrading the wrong components first? I am thinking about upgrading my GPU to a one more suited to gaming, but I feel my CPU might bottle neck my GPU? My current CPU is a Intel core i5 650 it clocks at 3.20GHz and I have 8 gigs of ddr4 ram. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 1050ti 4gb, are my concerns valid? if they are, any recommendations for a good CPU?

Well since your coming from the LGA 1156 socket line up.
That would be a good starting point, your only deal is can past generation of lga 1156 cpu's handle games of 2018-2019 ?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100007671 600005864&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-750-vs-Intel-Core-i5-650/2773vsm340

Heres something to look at if you were to upgrade it would perform a little bit better.
Question is though how good will it stay like that before you lag again in the near future ?

Go window shopping at the LGA 1150 or recent LGA 1151 line up and make a budget price and decision.

Your i5650 will be fine with a1050ti, But I would not go with anything more powerful. It should not be a bottleneck.
Upgrading your GPU is by far the best way to improve gaming performance and I reckon you will get decent 50 fps at medium/high presets in most modern games at 1080p.

I'm going to suggest you at least compare specs of the GTX-1050ti and price with the GTX-1060 series.

The 1060s seem to be the point which "serious gamers" consider to be a minimum.

But hell yeah, one of the top tier 1050 ti cards should be more than adequate. EVGA's "FTW" (for the win) model, does have a 6 pin external plug, which isn't totally necessary, but it takes some of the load off the motherboard.They only draw 75 watts, so whatever PSI you have in the machine now, should likely be fine

You didn't really say what you were using as the C:/ (system drive), if it's not an SSD, it has to go.

As a general matter of fact, in comparison with an SSD and a better video card, bumping up the CPU to the next higher clock in the same series, will give you the least performance boost

Last edited:
I'd say it's time for a CPU upgrade, I'd even say stick with the 1050Ti for now till Nvidia releases the 1650 and then decide if it's worth the upgrade.

I'd say it's time for a CPU upgrade, I'd even say stick with the 1050Ti for now till Nvidia releases the 1650 and then decide if it's worth the upgrade.
I'm not certain you read the OP correctly. He doesn't have the 1050 ti yet. Anything he's got now, has to be unsuitable, since the 1050 cards just make it @ 1920 x 1080.

So, the graphics card has to go before the CPU. And FWIW, if his C:/ drive is a spinner, that has to go before the CPU as well.

His CPU is the Clarkdale series. It clocks @3.20, has turbo boost to 3.46 GHz. The very top of that line is only 3.6 GHz and AFAIK, the 1156 socket doesn't go past Clarkdale.

IMO, CPU replacement, particularly going from quad to quad, would yield the least tangible result.

Although, FWIW Maiku Tech's link has used and "refurbished" higher number i5-6xx CPUs for about 50 bucks.

This entire discussion would be much clearer if our TS had included what his current rig has in the way of a video card & C:/ drive.

There are some of the new 1660 cards on the street, but AFAIK, not the 1650s. (Might want to fact check that). The 1660s are running around $300.00

Last edited:
Back