Amazon adds a new Prime perk for bookworms

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Amazon on Wednesday added yet another perk to its Prime subscription service with the introduction of Prime Reading.

With Prime Reading, members have access to a rotating selection of more than 1,000 books, magazines, comics, short works, children’s books and more at no additional cost.

Examples of books that are available include The Hobbit, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, The Man In the High Castle and The Millionaire Next Door (a great read, I’ve heard) as well as magazines like Popular Mechanics, National Geographic, People and Sports Illustrated.

Amazon already offers a book service, the Kindle Lending Library, which lets Prime members digitally check out a book each month to consume on their Kindle or Fire device. Content from Prime Reading, however, differs in that it’s available via Amazon’s hardware devices and through the free Kindle app for Android and iOS devices.

Amazon last month further bolstered its Prime offering by granting members free access to select Audible content. What’s more, Amazon Prime members also get Twitch Prime which affords discounts on new and pre-release games as well as a rotating selection of free games to play. Members also get the equivalent of Twitch Turbo, a premium offering that includes ad-free viewing, special badges and a free Twitch channel subscription each month.

All of this is in addition to mainstay Prime benefits such as free two-day shipping, access to Prime Video, Prime Music and Prime Photos, just to name a few. At $99 per month, Prime is a tough deal to beat, especially if you frequently shop Amazon.

Permalink to story.

You mean $99 per year not $99 per month.

LOL. Good catch. Prime is a good deal, but it would be an absolute ripoff if it cost $99 a month. This is a nice extra perk for Prime members. I might have a look at what books they have to offer.

Not a giant selection (took me 10 minutes to go through every one) but some good reading there. Plus I assume the titles change every now and then. All in all I'll take a free perk :)

Back