Amazon diversity report reveals a mostly white male workforce

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amazon releases diversity numbers time amazon diversity report

Amazon has published its first-ever diversity report and despite the image its landing page attempts to paint, the online retailer’s workforce is largely comprised of white males – mirroring the landscape of its tech industry peers.

On a global scale, 63 percent of Amazon’s workforce is male while 75 percent of global managers are also male.

In the US, 60 percent of employees are white, 15 percent are black, 13 percent are Asian and nine percent are Hispanic (the remaining three percent is listed as “other”). As for managerial positions in the US, 71 percent are held by whites and 18 percent are Asian. Hispanics, blacks and “other” collectively account for just 11 percent.

amazon releases diversity numbers time amazon diversity report

Interestingly enough, Amazon didn’t disclose the breakdown of technical versus non-technical roles as other tech companies have done.

Amazon’s workforce, consisting of more than 88,400 people around the globe, is a bit more diverse than some other companies. The reason for this, as USA Today correctly points out, is because most Amazon employees work in distribution centers. It’s a similar situation to Apple’s workforce as many on its payroll work in the company’s retail stores.

Amazon outlined some of the steps they’ve been taking to help shape their work environment including affinity groups and attempting to get middle and high school kids interested in technology and engineering at an earlier age.

Amazon joins a growing list of tech giants that have published diversity reports in this year including Apple, eBay, Facebook, Microsoft, Pinterest and Twitter, just to name a few.

Permalink to story.

These numbers seem to be in line, and higher for minorities, than population statistics. So why is this news?

The presidential chair is mostly black, but in the past it has been mostly white. Who fills the chair next is anybodies guess. How on earth will you ever do a diversity report on the presidential chair?

Amazon has published its first-ever diversity report and despite the image its landing page attempts to paint, the online retailer's workforce is largely comprised of white males - mirroring the landscape of its tech industry peers....[ ].....
Well that's discouraging isn't it? Especially in light of the fact that everyone clearly knows that God is a black woman, and she sent her only daughter, "Oprah", to Earth to absolve us of the 8th deadly sin, and that would be the need for watching television in the afternoon.. :rolleyes:

The USA is the most diverse nation in the history of man. At last count that I heard was some 300 different races,ethnic groups,and sub groups of those. We not only have immigrants from every country on Earth we have illegal immigrants from every country on Earth. Instead of celebrating that which divides us when can we start celebrating that which unites us? There is no such thing as purity of "race",or"genetic purity". Why not celebrate the end of the word "race". I love my country. I love the end of the word "race".

The presidential chair is mostly black, but in the past it has been mostly white. Who fills the chair next is anybodies guess. How on earth will you ever do a diversity report on the presidential chair?

And now we have a new and improved definition of "racism" as being anyone of any color who disagrees with the black guy in the White House. Come to think of it isn't"White House"racist.

And now we have a new and improved definition of "racism" as being anyone of any color who disagrees with the black guy in the White House. Come to think of it isn't"White House"racist.
Lets be clear, I don't disagree with him for his color. I disagree with him for what he has done. But that is irrelevant, you are the one making my comment a racist comment. You made it racist when you stated "disagrees with the black guy". My jab was against the diversity report, when there can only be one race in the chair at a time. That would be 100% one race or another.

I wasn't poking jabs at anyone race. It sickens me that you thought I was, just as much as the idea that someone feels the need to do these diversity reports. You should go find someone of a different race, shake their hand, kiss them on the forehead, and apologize for your racism.

My jab was against the diversity report, when there can only be one race in the chair at a time. That would be 100% one race or another.
Completely untrue. Our current president is of mixed ancestry. Thus, more than one ethnicity is guiding the ship of state.

I know this because they ran campaign ads showing then senator Obama, happily basking in the company of his Caucasian mother and family.

I think they were pandering to the white vote, but you know how negative I am.

I wasn't poking jabs at anyone race. It sickens me that you thought I was, just as much as the idea that someone feels the need to do these diversity reports. You should go find someone of a different race, shake their hand, kiss them on the forehead, and apologize for your racism.
I fail to see where this would serve a useful purpose. Kissing someone on the forehead, who is patently expecting to be kissed on the a**, is the proverbial, "handshake instead of a kiss".

No. The building is actually painted white.

These articles are really getting annoying.

Mention white people in an article an all the closet racists come out

The topic of diversity can only be written by racist. And those of us who are not racist object to people being categorized by race.
Although, legend has it that the first sign of anything is denying it.......:D

In example, "I'm not rude or cranky, just misunderstood".:p

Although, legend has it that the first sign of anything is denying it.
You know captain, you are right. I am racist against my own race. I hate all white people (maybe I should confine that to US residence) and don't have an opinion for any other race. But then the same race hatred wasn't the conversation, was it? So am I really in denial? I don't see where I am denying anything.

If that mostly white male work force, is because a person wanted to hire said people for skills abilities or general attitude towards work and the job they applied for then so what.
Diversity reports just make people think "YOU MUST" have, not just a token immigrant or illegal but a healthy percentage so that you don't look like a racist white power business. But what about indian or black run businesses. What about gangs... do you know I applied to several gangs, including The Krops and The Blids.... wore several gang colors trying to fit in, and deal some potent chemicals for high end cash to support my gold digging wifes bling fetish, but, because I was white...
And I tried to play the diversity card, but they wouldn't have it, so how come Whitey has to feel white guilt still in this day and age. Racism can't die if you don't let it. Clearly some people don't want it to.

What about gangs... do you know I applied to several gangs, including The Krops and The Blids.... wore several gang colors trying to fit in, and deal some potent chemicals for high end cash to support my gold digging wifes bling fetish, but, because I was white...
Want to join a gang and deal potent chemicals for high end cash but are held back because you're white? Might I suggest you aim higher...like Bayer AG
de_executive_council.jpg

Note the Savile Row gang "cut" - expensive, but offset by the money you'll save by not having to shell out for face, neck, and hand tattoos.

You know captain, you are right. I am racist against my own race. I hate all white people (maybe I should confine that to US residence) and don't have an opinion for any other race. But then the same race hatred wasn't the conversation, was it? So am I really in denial? I don't see where I am denying anything.
Well, in my, (admittedly amateur), "analysis" of the subtext in many of your posts, you feel wronged by the establishment. You perceive the establishment as being "Lilly white" and you hate it for that. IMO, that's the issue with you, not "same race racism".

I think you could use some counseling, if only for someone to act as a sounding board for your greivances I'm fairly certain you'll deny that, so yeah, I believe you are in denial.

I'm honestly not posting this as trash talk, I'm suggesting a way to get your issues cleared up a bit.

Well, when one of those places is ownership of an NFL team, and said owner starts suing Native Americans for the right to continue using a racially pejorative term because "Redskin" was an acceptable term to use in 1933, it does tend to bolster that argument to an unwanted degree.
Well, if "Redskin" wasn't a pejorative term in 1933, why is it now? Maybe because the politically correct tail is wagging the politically incorrect dog these days?

Quite bluntly, I've always thought "Redskin", was a term of tribute, signifying hard fighting, capable, tenacious, and courageous warriors. Some fat, lonely, 1/16 Native American woman with her own personal problems and a tomahawk to grind, isn't about to change my mind about it.

Back