Amazon Games boss Mike Frazzini steps down to focus on family

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Amazon Games boss Mike Frazzini is stepping away from the division he helped create at the e-commerce giant. Frazzini told Amazon last Friday that he was leaving to focus on his family. In a statement to Bloomberg, Amazon spokesperson Ryan Jones said Frazzini's leadership and perseverance helped build their games business from the ground up and highlighted recent successes with games like New World and Lost Ark.

"We are very grateful for all his contributions, and wish Mike the very best," Jones added.

Amazon Games launched its first mobile game, Air Patriots, in 2012. Several more games would follow across a variety of platforms, but none of them really gained much traction. In fact, the business up until recently was more known for its shortcomings and cancellations than its hits.

Crucible, for example, debuted in May 2020 but ran into problems out of the game. It was "un-released" shortly after. A few months later, Amazon canceled the project entirely.

New World has already seen player counts dip significantly since launching last September. Only 25,370 people are playing the game right now according to SteamDB. Lost Ark peaked at more than 1.3 million concurrent players following its February 2022 North American debut but is down to just 367,832 players as of this writing.

Frazzini's leadership was called into question over the years. In short, some employees felt he went too far off script. Another told Bloomberg that Frazzini's lack of experience in gaming was a challenge, and that others believed he underestimated the complexities of the industry.

Image credit Jin Lee, Bloomberg

Permalink to story.

I gave New World a try - had some dollars saved up on my gift card balance for Amazon from doing surveys and Bing/MS Rewards, so it wasn't any real money out of my pocket.

Thankfully I didn't spend my own money on the game, it was pretty bland. I gave it a good try - put a good 50+ hours into it, joined groups when I could, had a couple of friends that played it as well and we'd group up when we were all on. The game was just boring as hell; a super grind-world where you had to work at grinding to be able to build/create anything more useful than basic items. By level 30 I had so much gold and nothing to spend it on it was just stupid, the economy wasn't worth your time to work on crafting high end items to sell because there was nothing in return you needed to buy.

I'd rather go back to playing Aion and I hated the direction the game took after it went F2P, which is when I stopped playing it.

Amazon may be a big company with very deep pockets, but that doesn't mean they can just buy up people and put out good games. Clearly that's been proven since they started getting into the game business.

I gave New World a try - had some dollars saved up on my gift card balance for Amazon from doing surveys and Bing/MS Rewards, so it wasn't any real money out of my pocket.

Thankfully I didn't spend my own money on the game, it was pretty bland. I gave it a good try - put a good 50+ hours into it, joined groups when I could, had a couple of friends that played it as well and we'd group up when we were all on. The game was just boring as hell; a super grind-world where you had to work at grinding to be able to build/create anything more useful than basic items. By level 30 I had so much gold and nothing to spend it on it was just stupid, the economy wasn't worth your time to work on crafting high end items to sell because there was nothing in return you needed to buy.

I'd rather go back to playing Aion and I hated the direction the game took after it went F2P, which is when I stopped playing it.

Amazon may be a big company with very deep pockets, but that doesn't mean they can just buy up people and put out good games. Clearly that's been proven since they started getting into the game business.
Same I capped out lvl, got my Elite PVP gear and did all dungeons. Game is blah and constant repeat. .

Same I capped out lvl, got my Elite PVP gear and did all dungeons. Game is blah and constant repeat. .
It is to a degree. However, it looks like they are updating it and trying to get it together. I like the game but it's one of those I don't play constantly. Kind of a more relaxed thing.
Like ESO thought it could turn out to be a great game in a year or two. ESO was considered hot trash by the majority when it launched.

Back