Amazon wants to give away its smartphone free of charge

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Amazon’s oft rumored smartphone could eventually arrive as a freebie. That’s right, Amazon is reportedly considering giving their smartphone away free of charge according to unnamed sources as reported by former Wall Street Journal reporters Amir Efrati and Jessica E....

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/53923-amazon-wants-to-give-away-its-smartphone-free-of-charge.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

ikesmasher

Well im a happy prime suscriber, so if it had something to do with that id be awesome.
At the same time I feel bad giving amazon business, as they are still knocking over competition (geeks.com :( )

G

They must be making big $$ on Kindle fire and have found selling hardware at cost or below means profits after sale. Give away the phone and make $$ afterward.

MrAnderson

I'm interested to see what they do in the market?
Will the phones be unlocked?
Will the lock screen display ads on free phones?
Will the phone have a version of Kindle Fire instead of regular Android etc?

Oh and will they do a watch?! :p (okay I'm 1/4th joking on that one)

Khanonate

Well im a happy prime suscriber, so if it had something to do with that id be awesome.
At the same time I feel bad giving amazon business, as they are still knocking over competition (geeks.com :( )
I just went to geeks.com. I didn't know they've closed their online stores...

Reactions: ikesmasher

Jad Chaar

The smartphone cost is not the issue for many. It is the cost of data and cellular service.

danhodge

Maybe they will sell it at breakeven like the Kindle, but not free, no way. I can't see them doing that at all.

tipstir

Yeah, but what's the catch? Read the fine print. Always a catch with these companies. I am about to drop my Amazon Prime, the service is not 100% more like 75% and I don't own a Kindle just over 45 Android Tablets and Smartphone This is my online business programming in Android since 2010.

I see there is a limit to the number of open/read kindle books on Android devices I own. If I pay for the kindle books I should be able to access them on all devices. I gives failed to download messages. Reason I have exceeded my book views.

Skidmarksdeluxe

The smartphone cost is not the issue for many. It is the cost of data and cellular service.
And the smarter the phone, the more the data & cellular service costs.
We, as the consumer, are not supposed to win, that belongs to to company & shareholders.
Ever tried your luck in Vegas?