AMD announces Threadripper 3990X: 64 cores / 128 threads for $3,990

mongeese

Staff
Highly anticipated: AMD has unveiled the world’s most powerful workstation processor, the Threadripper 3990X. It has 64 cores, 128 threads and boosts to 4.3 GHz on a single core up from a base clock of 2.9 GHz. It will be available starting February 7 for $3,990.

The 3990X is insane in literally every way and that leaves Intel with nothing that can competes with AMD’s new professional flagship. AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su compared the 3990X to Intel’s flagship server processor, the $10,009 Xeon Platinum 8280, but that has only 28 cores. The Xeon 8280’s 38.5 MB L3 cache is also only slightly larger than the 3990X’s 32 MB L2 cache – while the 3990X has 256 MB of L3 cache!

Even two 8280s running together in a dual-socket configuration can’t do much against the 3990X. During the presentation, AMD demonstrated a V-Ray workload from the recent Terminator: Dark Fate film, which the 3990X took one hour and three minutes to complete while the pair of Xeons took one hour and thirty minutes. They also quadruple the Threadripper in price.

Model Cores/
Threads
Base Clock Boost Clock L3 Cache TDP MSRP
Threadripper 3990X 64/128 2.9 GHz 4.3 GHz 256 MB 280W $3990
Threadripper 3970X 32/64 3.7 GHz 4.5 GHz 128 MB 280W $1999
Threadripper 3960X 24/48 3.8 GHz 4.5 GHz 128 MB 280W $1399
Ryzen 9 3950X 16/32 3.5 GHz 4.7 GHz 64 MB 105W $749

Dr. Lisa Su made it clear that the 3990X wasn’t just a marketing stunt, but a product designed for a very specific niche between professional and server hardware. When companies require high core counts but don’t want to pay for enterprise features like dual-socket compatibility or 4TB of RAM, the 3990X is the only option.

“We will take every core you give us, thank you very much!”

AMD also provided a Cinebench R20 score during their presentation, which we’ve combined with TechSpot data in the following graph. It scores 49% higher than the 32-core Threadripper 3970X.

At an MSRP of almost $4,000 the Threadripper 3990X is the most expensive non-enterprise processor AMD, or even Intel, has ever released and it’s not exactly great value. But it is goddamn awesome.

Permalink to story.

Intel has too much money and Market share for these Premature R.I.P

It will take more than a few successful quarters from AMD to get anything close to that.

Lets keep it real people.

The competition is only now getting started after a 10 year struggle from AMD.

The Core Wars continues...

Intel has too much money and Market share for these Premature R.I.P

It will take more than a few successful quarters from AMD to get anything close to that.

Lets keep it real people.

The competition is only now getting started after a 10 year struggle from AMD.

The Core Wars continues...

Intel continues to dominate gaming while AMD continues to churn out CPU that seem better for workstations while being competent at gaming - but often behind Intel in every category besides price-for-performance.

Thing is, people dropping top dollar for RGB and water pipes aren't thinking logically so there is no shortage of sales of Intel CPU.

Meh gaming ain't nothing either.

And I wouldn't call games running at low resolutions with 10-15 extra fps on intel dominating. Once you actually get to resolution people actually game on were talking about tiny differences. Not a game going from playable to unplayable.

Victory will be decided in the Server and Data center market that is where the real money is at.

Alot of euthastic think having the gaming crown is so super special.... Intel would never willingly give up the two above markets just for a gaming crown if push came to shove.

People seem to forget to focus on the big picture and tend to have tunnel vision.

Last edited:
Pretty cool. I'm feeling jealous of the people who have workloads that can take advantage of this, and pretty sorry for people who just dropped top bucks on a Mac Pro with a lot fewer cores.

Meanwhile for me, while my 6 core 5.0 Ghz Intel now seems pretty lackluster on paper, in truth I don't think I'd see any actual difference from more cores for what I do.

Pretty cool. I'm feeling jealous of the people who have workloads that can take advantage of this, and pretty sorry for people who just dropped top bucks on a Mac Pro with a lot fewer cores.

Meanwhile for me, while my 6 core 5.0 Ghz Intel now seems pretty lackluster on paper, in truth I don't think I'd see any actual difference from more cores for what I do.

if that is the i7-8086K you are fine for now unless you have a workflow that will require more cores.

Let's see, I think there is a meme for this.

Attachments

• 75397783_3070114033017206_5580731129296046773_n.jpg
    75397783_3070114033017206_5580731129296046773_n.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 4
Meh gaming ain't nothing either.

And I wouldn't call games running at low resolutions with 10-15 extra fps on intel dominating. Once you actually get to resolution people actually game on were talking about tiny differences. Not a game going from playable to unplayable.

Victory will be decided in the Server and Data center market that is where the real money is at.

Alot of euthastic think having the gaming crown is so super special.... Intel would never willingly give up the two above markets just for a gaming crown if push came to shove.

People seem to forget to focus on the big picture and tend to have tunnel vision.

Cool story.
AMD is a component company. Nothing more.
Intel dominates all markets as well as having a hand in AI, dGPU's, storage and HPC. That's all before you get to their software. They also have their own fabs.

AMD has a loooong way to go. What AMD does now that their core counts have been exhausted will determine how far AMD goes from here.

Intel continues to dominate gaming while AMD continues to churn out CPU that seem better for workstations while being competent at gaming - but often behind Intel in every category besides price-for-performance.

Thing is, people dropping top dollar for RGB and water pipes aren't thinking logically so there is no shortage of sales of Intel CPU.

Come on man you're smarter than that. I read your comments on here most of the time. INTEL beats AMD at 720p, who games at 720 with a high end GPU? Face it buddy, INTEL's time has passed. Karma.

Intel does not continue to dominate AMD. AMDs market share is growing rapidly in the gaming, server and even the professional market. And it is not happening slowly, either. At first ryzen beat Intel in very specific areas but now it's the other way around with the 4000 series solidifying this dominance.

Realistically, Intel is only better in high FPS gaming.

The only market AMD isn't dominating in terms of sales is the prebuilt system market. Once that happens the only option Intel will have will be to compete on the price/performance level. Intel's return of hyperthreading to their lower end products is evidence of this.

AMDs chiplet design gave it a chance to be competitive again by increasing manufacturing yields, but they've been improving their fabrication methods to the point the can create massive dies, like Intel.

AMDs biggest performance impact was from cores on different chiplets using cache that was in another. They will be eliminating that in their gaming parts in the 4000 series.

Last edited:
That's the best comment I've read in forever, I might quote you in my next article

Are you the person responsible for tagging this article with "goddamn" in bright orange on the front page? Appreciate to remove it please, that was uncalled for.

sadly yes I wish I bought in 5 years ago.

I bought when $5 in summer 2016 (wished I got in at sub $2 in 2015) and kept adding at $7, $12, $24, $31, $34.

not a stock guy but I keep follow PC tech and I believe AMD is worth $80/share. so even at $49 (All Time High) based on my projections, it isn't too late.

Intel dominates all markets as well as having a hand in AI, dGPU's, storage and HPC. That's all before you get to their software. They also have their own fabs.
What are you, Intel PR? Nothing outstanding in AI, not a single dGPU launched. They have their own fabs and they're going the AMD fabs route: they have nothing against TSMC and they don't rely on a single-source of demand to be profitable.
Mark my words: if Intel doesn't meet their nodes' roadmap, in less than 5 years they will have to either manufacture for others or have others manufacturing their chips, just to make a profit under 14nm processes.

What are you, Intel PR? Nothing outstanding in AI, not a single dGPU launched. They have their own fabs and they're going the AMD fabs route: they have nothing against TSMC and they don't rely on a single-source of demand to be profitable.
Mark my words: if Intel doesn't meet their nodes' roadmap, in less than 5 years they will have to either manufacture for others or have others manufacturing their chips, just to make a profit under 14nm processes.

Ahem...
q3-2019-earnings-infographic.jpg

"Welp. Let's ride, boys" - young_guns

HrpDFIZ.jpg

Back