AMD boss Lisa Su tops highest-paid CEO list

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Since Lisa Su took over as boss of AMD in 2014, the company has gone from the brink of bankruptcy to having the top-performing stock over the last two years. With such success comes rewards: Su is now the highest-paid executive in the Associated Press' annual survey of CEO compensation, earning $58.5 million in 2019.

In the annual analysis of executives' pay at companies in the S&P 500, which is compiled by the AP and Equilar, Su became the first woman to top the list. Her $58.5 million was almost $13 million more than the $45.8 million earned by second-place David Zaslav, the CEO of Discovery Inc.

Su’s pay—four times more than what she earned the previous year—was performance-based. Her compensation included $53 million in stock awards and $3 million in stock options. She also earned $1 million in base pay and $1.2 million in bonuses.

In the five years that Su’s been at the helm, AMD’s stock has gone from $3 to around $55.

Having long stood in the shadow of Intel’s CPU dominance, AMD has become a serious challenger to Chipzilla since the arrival of its Zen architecture. Surveys, Amazon top-seller lists, and even Linus Torvalds have all shown that the tide has turned for AMD, whose chips dominate our Best CPUs feature.

There were just 20 women on the list, versus 309 men. Su’s pay package was more than double the next highest-paid woman: Marilyn Hewson of Lockheed Martin, who earned $24.4 million. Business Insider writes that the median pay for woman on the list was $13.9 million, versus $12.3 million for men.

It’s worth noting that the list only includes CEOs who have held the position for two full years so to avoid sign-on bonuses being counted. As such, there were a couple of CEOs who earned even more than Su in 2019.

Permalink to story.

"Tim Cook received $3 million in salary in 2019, the same as a year earlier, and a $7.67 million bonus, which was down from $12 million. His total compensation dropped from $136 million in 2018 to $125 million last year."

That was my first search. Nadella made $42.9m, also missing. Intel CEO Bob Swan made $66.9m. This is an odd list.

"Tim Cook received $3 million in salary in 2019, the same as a year earlier, and a $7.67 million bonus, which was down from $12 million. His total compensation dropped from $136 million in 2018 to $125 million last year."

That was my first search. Nadella made $42.9m, also missing. Intel CEO Bob Swan made $66.9m. This is an odd list.

Apple is in the NASDAQ not the S&P500. That's why.

Did you read the source article at all?
It says this: "Companies must have filed a proxy between January 1 and April 30, 2020 to be included in this study."

Did you read the source article at all?
It says this: "Companies must have filed a proxy between January 1 and April 30, 2020 to be included in this study."

No, I did not read it through. In this case the title is definitely misleading, as it's nothing more than a cherry-picked bunch of CEOs, where a woman happens to come out on top, but doesn't show the real state of affairs. I fail to see the point.

Doesn't matter, because the feminists will always whine about the gender pay gap...

Feminists are ultimately demanding that they get paid for not working.

They want paid sick leave.
They want paid maternity leave -for longer periods.

I used to work in a civil service sector job, directly along side women where the pay was equal, and based on service credits. I noticed I took far fewer days off then them for their "feminine issues" and even when I look back at my mom, she was mostly responsible for dealing with me when I was in school whether she was at work or not.

Women aren't demanding equal pay. They are demanding more pay for less work.

No, I did not read it through. In this case the title is definitely misleading, as it's nothing more than a cherry-picked bunch of CEOs, where a woman happens to come out on top, but doesn't show the real state of affairs. I fail to see the point.

Lisa Su tops the list, so the title is not misleading. The list is misleading, this article about the list is purely objective.

I used to work in a civil service sector job, directly along side women where the pay was equal, and based on service credits. I noticed I took far fewer days off then them for their "feminine issues" and even when I look back at my mom, she was mostly responsible for dealing with me when I was in school whether she was at work or not.

Can you take this to a forum that's about politics, rather than a tech website? Thanks.

She deserves it. I remember when AMD stock dropped below $2 in 2016 and I was like damn this company might actually get de-listed from the stock market! Enter Lisa Su. AMD stock is now $52. She literally turned it around 180, so she deserves to partake in its success!

Lisa Su tops the list, so the title is not misleading. The list is misleading, this article about the list is purely objective.

Can you take this to a forum that's about politics, rather than a tech website? Thanks.

If Techspot specifically features an article that directly invokes politics, then shouldn't you direct your criticism to Techspot's Editor?

She deserves it. I remember when AMD stock dropped below $2 in 2016 and I was like damn this company might actually get de-listed from the stock market! Enter Lisa Su. AMD stock is now $52. She literally turned it around 180, so she deserves to partake in its success!
Agreed - Lisa Su deserves it down to the last Penny. If AMD's board is smart, they keep her on as long as possible.

I have no issue with high CEO pay if they earn it like Lisa Su. I only find it irritating when it's pay and bonus Bonanza in spite of the company doing poorly.

I have read all comments posted so far on this subject and I just can't understand how some readers can say this article is political in any way, shape or form I just don't see it. I also don't see what this article has to do with being a feminist or not, it does not mention anything about Lisa Su whining, and last but definitely not lest this article IS TECH related it is in fact a Tech company (AMD) Electronics, very simple can't put it any planer then that. For all you knot heads out there, you know who you are stay on topic read the article thoroughly first and then write your comments accordingly, and each individual needs to remember what site they are posting on I guess it can get confusing at times with so many sites available for posting. Thanks for listening everyone have a safe day

If Techspot specifically features an article that directly invokes politics, then shouldn't you direct your criticism to Techspot's Editor?

So you think that from this article's
"Lisa Su is highest paid CEO on this list"
to your
"Feminists are ultimately demanding that they get paid for not working "
is a perfectly normal leap to make?

Ok mate. I pity people like you.

I see nothing high tech about this article. It needs to be dumped in the trash or redirected to some other site that deals with these issues. Please stick to the content the site prescribes to ......
I think you mean, Please stick to the content I think the site prescribes to ......

My prior post on this article dealt with how I felt about posted comments and in the heat of things
I totally forgot to jot down my comments about Lisa Su getting payed more, THAT'S GREAT this lady deserves every bit of it AMD was nothing before she took the helm it was taking a back seat to intel in almost everything they need to pay this lady more, and keep her on the payroll as CEO. And again have a great day

In an effort to, "reinstall the glass ceiling", as it were, I feel the time is right for one of her male staffers to stage a, "she sexually harassed me", coup attempt :eek: ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
QuantumPhysics seems to be getting a lot of heat on TS lately.
He replies to a single and highly-liked comment about feminism and the pay gap and suddenly he's the one blamed for "politics".
You guys are weird.

I don't agree with you generally, but in my personal experience I worked alongside a woman who had three children in five years and took the full maternity leave for each of them. Now I don't have a problem with this in principle, women are obviously biologically different from men and allowances need to be made to enable them to enjoy successful careers too, however this woman was generally really lazy and super entitled. I even had to cover her and was paid a third of the salaried rate she was receiving (presumably cos they couldn't afford to pay what was a very high rate twice). So I disagree with your overall stance, but on a personal level in this one instance I am livid.

"Su is now the highest-paid executive in the Associated Press' annual survey of CEO compensation"
How dare the Associated Press keep doing their annual survey!

grrrraaaah! lol Techspot commenters(or one sad person with multiple accounts) instill a flashback of that guy with the tiki torch. This one time in kindergarten a girl pulled my hair and .... the teacher gave her more cookies then me. I know because the tooth fairy told me. So now from that one experience I totally didn't make up... It's like watching a 10 year old. er 5 year old?

"In the five years that Su’s been at the helm, AMD’s stock has gone from $3 to around $55."
She sure did an amazing job at Computex last year. When I first saw this article I wanted to say, it's not like she made any breakthroughs. But that's not her job. Luckily she didn't have to try and spin something like RTX. (her poor bro) ^^

No individual deserves 60 mils a years for anything they do.

No individual deserves 60 mils a years for anything they do.
Relative to the value that she generated she is worth it. The qualifications would be ensuring that others who also contributed to this turnaround (their engineers for example) were also paid accordingly. Also, if you just generally think that there shouldn't be filthy rich people in society, then a taxation system that takes most of this money away from her (still allowing her to be richer than most) and uses it to benefit all would restore parity. Some would argue that she then wouldn't have worked as hard to turn the company around. I doubt that's true as I doubt she imagined she could get herself 55 mil when she set out.

Someone'll be along now to tell me to keep my filthy political opinions below the line on Democracy Now YouTube videos where they belong:)

Back