AMD dominates Amazon's best-selling CPU chart, despite Intel's discounts

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: AMD is dominating Amazon’s best-selling CPU chart, despite Intel offering discounts on several of its chips and some of team red’s processors selling above MSRP. AMD has been eroding Intel’s share of the CPU market for years. The former’s chips are now found in 30% of Steam users’ PCs, while other reports have also shown team blue losing ground to its rival.

With Intel having the advantage of owning its fabs, the company has avoided many of the availability issues caused by the global chip shortage. It’s even reduced many of its top processors at a time when PC component prices are skyrocketing. So, one might imagine the Core range is taking up most of the slots on Amazon’s best-selling CPU list. But no—it’s AMD that dominates, holding seven of the top eight places.

In the number one position is the Ryzen 7 3700X. The Zen 2 processor launched in July 2019 with a MSRP of $329. It’s actually down to $308 on Amazon, though at the time of writing, there are only nine left in stock. Sitting behind this processor is the Ryzen 9 5900X. The Zen 3 chip is only available from third-party sellers starting at $800, which is quite a price bump over the $549 MSRP. Still, people are obviously buying it.

The highest Intel entry in the top ten is its Intel Core i7-10700K (sixth) that recently saw a price drop from $387 to $319. Chipzilla also has CPUs in ninth place (Core i5-10600K) and tenth (Core i5-9600K).

Despite only arriving last month, Intel has already reduced some of its 11th-gen Rocket Lake chips, possibly due in part to the mixed reviews several of the CPUs received. News that AMD remains more popular on the world’s largest online retail site might leave Intel wondering what else it can do to improve its standing.

Hat tip: TechnoSports

Permalink to story.

Zen is the great AMD comeback we've all been hoping for. Think we've all said it before but the competition is just so refreshing after AMD have been subpar for years and Intel resting on their laurels.

For 97% of people who are budget conscious when building a PC I always recommend AMD because the performance v price is just something Intel couldn't match.

You rich bastards can debate top Intel vs AMD. ;)

In the UK stock is fine for the Ryzen 5000 series, I always keep seeing offers for 5900X for £599 and 5800X for £340, the 5600X is the one that is usually out of stock.
I'm not buying ATM but keep an eye on it and was thinking the same - GPU's and Consoles are still gold dust but I always see a 5000 Series in stock on some sort all the time.

To me it just highlights that AMD stock issues are more demand driven than supply driven. Not denying the tight capacity for 7nm especially, but if AMD was really struggling to get enough stock (compared to previous generations) then Intel would be walking all over AMD in the sales charts. That they aren't tells me they are getting at least as much supply as previous generations, but that demand is much higher now, even at higher MSRP's. We'll know more on the 27th Apr when they announce Q1 earnings.

AMD dominating the likes of Amazon should not come as a surprise. For people who like to DIY, I believe they are doing it because it gives them the option to choose better parts. Not to say that Intel's chips are terrible, but given the amount of reviewers and influencers pouring cold water on Intel's latest and greatest, it will be hard for Intel to sell well with all the negativity. Having said that, I feel Intel's dominance in the OEM space is still very strong as compared to the likes of AMD since not many people are tech savvy and will go with a pre-assembled PC from big brands, which carries mostly Intel based system. The situation is improving, I.e. AMD hardware is gaining traction in this space, but it will take many years of continuous and intense competition before AMD will gain equal footing in terms of market share and acceptance in my opinion.

AMD dominating the likes of Amazon should not come as a surprise. For people who like to DIY, I believe they are doing it because it gives them the option to choose better parts. Not to say that Intel's chips are terrible, but given the amount of reviewers and influencers pouring cold water on Intel's latest and greatest, it will be hard for Intel to sell well with all the negativity. Having said that, I feel Intel's dominance in the OEM space is still very strong as compared to the likes of AMD since not many people are tech savvy and will go with a pre-assembled PC from big brands, which carries mostly Intel based system. The situation is improving, I.e. AMD hardware is gaining traction in this space, but it will take many years of continuous and intense competition before AMD will gain equal footing in terms of market share and acceptance in my opinion.
^This guy nailed it.

Last month (March 2021) at a nearby city in southern Philippines, Ryzen 2200G is very popular for entry level PCs since it is very affordable and readily available. Ryzen 3400G is an alternative at 'significant' price increase.
if someone likes intel, budget Pentium G series is also available.

I do not know when ryzen 5000 series arrives in the Philippines.

Stuck with AMD since the K6 days.
Glad to see them gaining market year over year aagin.
I have mostly done that myself except for a Sandy Bridge build in which I now have an Ivy Bridge CPU. I will not be choosing Intel anytime again soon, if ever.

b9ddaab13e3de6ee2b544607ad4d26b626ef2969af54086c44408b5fd4198105.gif

In the UK stock is fine for the Ryzen 5000 series, I always keep seeing offers for 5900X for £599 and 5800X for £340, the 5600X is the one that is usually out of stock.

Where did you see a 5800X for £340?

That being an understatement. We still cannot find 5900x or 5950x anywhere at reasonable prices. Those are 55% and 56% above MSRP currently.
Right now, all are available in Germany, prices are a bit of a mixed bag.
Mindfactory prices vs msrp
5600X - €325 / €299 + €26 (18,060 sold)
5800X - €425 / €449 - €24 (17,890 sold)
5900X - €649 / €549 + €100 ( 5,660 sold)
5950X - €899 / €799 + €100 (2,900 sold)

There‘s another thing to consider: Total system price. If you build a complete system, the price difference for a single component does not matter much, unless it‘s a significant difference and how significant depends on how close the competing choice is seen as being.

feel Intel's dominance in the OEM space is still very strong as compared to the likes of AMD since not many people are tech savvy and will go with a pre-assembled PC from big brands, which carries mostly Intel based system. The situation is improving, I.e. AMD hardware is gaining traction in this space, but it will take many years of continuous and intense competition before AMD will gain equal footing in terms of market share and acceptance in my opinion.
Agree and this is why imho in order to get to a truly competitive market, AMD needs to stay on top of the game for another couple of years. Otherwise, we may get back to the pre Ryzen days faster than we‘d like as consumers.

Looking at the decreasing margins that were disclosed at Intel‘s last earnings call we are slowly starting to get there but they still have and earn more than is good for the market.

Last edited:
UK hotdeals, if you're not signed up on the app you'll definitely miss the good deals about.

Thanks, I really wanted the 5900X when Zen 3 first came out but due to stock issues I ended up buying a 5800X for £419, I then sold it to buy a 10850K which I will now keep but the site might still come in handy : - )

I wish we had access to volume information, including how many units sold direct by Amazon at MSRP, vs. how many sold by scalpers just using Amazon as the listing platform.

My impression before this article was that Amazon was perpetually sold out, but maybe they really are moving a lot of volume in the tiny windows when they have stock (or maybe the scalpers are moving big volume all the time.)

Intel CPUs are way cheaper than AMD where I live but Intel motherboards are inexplicably WAY more expensive in general cutting into the savings. Does intel not make budget priced MBs anymore? May as well pay the small amount extra I suppose for the better overall CPU.

I've been out of this game for far too long and now I'm tryna get a new cpu. Do I wait for Alder lake or get something cheap rn? If AL is gonna shake things up, I'd wait for it, else, I'd get something cheap like under $150

I've been out of this game for far too long and now I'm tryna get a new cpu. Do I wait for Alder lake or get something cheap rn? If AL is gonna shake things up, I'd wait for it, else, I'd get something cheap like under $150

Alder lake has to first be released before it can have any hope of "shaking things up"

Right now, we're essentially in the month of may, and still no solid release date for Tiger Lake H!

Intel released the first official teaser benches this week, so we're still months away from them shipping.

Proof: Tiger Lake 4c leaked benches in June, and launched in September!

https://wccftech.com/intel-tiger-la...leak-out-core-i7-1165g7-vs-amd-ryzen-7-4800u/

Expect 3-4 months to finish Tiger Lake 8c (so July-Aug)...and if Intel finds doubling the core counts of Tiger Lake is so damn hard it's like going Supersonic., you should consider the complexity of Alder Lake as going into the stratosphere (8 big cores plus 8 little cores , and both architectures they are mixing are brand-new!)

Alder Lake is likely to ship sometime next year.

Last edited:
When I was buying components for my new PC in the last few months I didn't Intel CPU's being cheaper, still a rip-off for ancient tech. They only thing was they were more readily available than Zen 3, but I had no problems getting 3700X at less than RRP.

I wouldn't have bought Intel CPU unless it was almost free. I want Intel to hurt but I want them to eventually be ultra-competitive and keep AMD on their toes. I think Alder Lake will be a good product and maybe when it's successor Meteor Lake is out I'll see how it stacks up against Zen 5.

I want Intel to hurt but I want them to eventually be ultra-competitive and keep AMD on their toes.
Personally, I want intel to suffer for the next 15 years and then die.

they are simply too dirty to be forgiven this easily.

it will be apple, amd, nvidia (even though I hate the as much as intel, same reasons) and perhaps, qualcomm and samsung.

so yes, intel is irrelevant and needs to die.

Personally, I want intel to suffer for the next 15 years and then die.

they are simply too dirty to be forgiven this easily.

it will be apple, amd, nvidia (even though I hate the as much as intel, same reasons) and perhaps, qualcomm and samsung.

so yes, intel is irrelevant and needs to die.

As much as I dislike Intel, I believe that having only one supplier is not a good thing.

Sure, I want to see them suffer and I would actually get satisfaction out of seeing their CPU put in poorly configured crap boxes hidden very well on the OEMs‘ websites.

But go under ? No, if only to guarantee AMD stays focused and innovation does not stop.

Heck, it would be fun watching Intel reps trying to sell their products without MDF.

Intel CPUs are way cheaper than AMD where I live but Intel motherboards are inexplicably WAY more expensive in general cutting into the savings. Does intel not make budget priced MBs anymore? May as well pay the small amount extra I suppose for the better overall CPU.
Savvy buyers would prefer the AMD platform/ecosystem IMO... pcie 4, extra 4x pcie lanes, powerful IO of x570 chipset, tight integration w/ AMD GPUs, ...

Back