AMD gains slightly as Intel market share dips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

We're all well aware of the beating AMD has taken in the past two years. Delays into the 45nm market, poor reception of the original Phenom CPUs, and other issues have all set them back. Intel's chips on the other hand have been coming out quickly and performing well, in numerous segments, taking the lion’s share of the market. Things might be looking up for AMD in 2009, however, as the company actually gained market share at Intel's expense the previous quarter.

Echoing somewhat similar findings from Mercury Research and IDC earlier this year, iSuppli reports that after losing share to Intel on a sequential basis last year, AMD has turned things around and is up significantly, taking 12.8% of the market. Those gains came almost exclusively at Intel's loss, which fell from 81.6% to 79.1%. It can't be said that the gains came due to any fault of Intel's, as their entire product line is being well-received currently.

On the contrary, it may mean that AMD’s latest endeavors, including their 45nm Phenom parts, may be doing well. I hope the company keeps that up while keeping the price pressure on Intel. Could this be a sign of an AMD resurgence, or perhaps it is just a temporary gain attributable to other factors?

Permalink to story.

I think AMD deserves another day in the sun. I just hope they can produce some more competitive products at a decent price. The pressure should, at the least, bring Intel's prices down... and this type of price battle is good for everyone.

Intel have been twats recently, price fixing and paying computer manfacturersd to only use Intel processors is Wrong. Yea that got fined but it has dented their reputation. I will stick with AMD for now.

I have been following AMD's fall as closely, as is possible from out here, and it is a text book illustration of how bad decision making at the top can bring a corporation to its knees. after AMD was on top with the introduction of the Athlon with the hyper-transport architecture that was faster than the intels at any frequency, they sat on their laurels and almost went the way of cyrix. they have always had a mentality of innovation, so hopefully they have the right guy at the top now. this is a good example of why the decision makers at the top (CEO's) get paid what they do. remember Lee Iacocca?

Both AMD and ATI have had some bizarre "mood swings" over the years due to bad (and arrogant) management decisions. I am glad to see them both being more aggressive and innovative against their Intel and nVidia competitors.

Only means better pricing and products for us consumers.

Agreed with TomSEA. I honestly want to see AMD come out and kick Intel butt. Not being an AMD supporter, but Intel themselves are being asses with their products at the moment, taking advantage of their somewhat monopoly of the market in terms of performance with ludicrous pricing.

AMD has had their share of bad rep from false reporting benchmarks if i remember in their press conferences... but i hope they manage to level the field

ARM has a better chance against Intel then AMD does at this point...

AMD walked across the battlefield victorious, only to still kill themselves in the end.

tengeta said:
ARM has a better chance against Intel then AMD does at this point...

AMD walked across the battlefield victorious, only to still kill themselves in the end.

Really good point, AMD pretty much gave Intel the crown back out of arrogant stupidity. But either way it's good for everyone when the market is competitive. The more the merrier.

AMD has been doing a great job of revising the company. Their market is improving, and their technology problems are mostly solved.
The fact that AMD is very cost-competitive with Intel, especially in a down economic time, bodes well for the company and for all of us.

AMD has been doing a great job of revising the company. Their market is improving, and their technology problems are mostly solved.
The fact that AMD is very cost-competitive with Intel, especially in a down economic time, bodes well for the company and for all of us.

I will second that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back