AMD is showing off more of its own Radeon RX 6000 benchmarks, edging out the GeForce competition

mongeese

Staff
Cutting corners: AMD claims that their upcoming Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs are, on average, faster than their Nvidia counterparts, and they’re willing to back that up with raw data... of their own. That means AMD may be painting the RX 6000 GPUs on their best possible light, picking popular games that are likely already optimized at the driver level, and benchmarking using Ryzen 5000 series processors, which are said to give them an extra boost by enabling Smart Access Memory.

In case you’ve been living under a rock: the Radeon RX 6000 series is AMD’s response to Nvidia’s RTX 3000 graphics processors. Namely, the RX 6900 XT ($999) targets the RTX 3090 ($1,500), the RX 6800 XT ($650) targets the RTX 3080 ($700), and the RX 6800 ($580) targets the RTX 3070 ($500).

In addition to the benchmarks AMD showed during the cards' launch, AMD has posted new more detailed benchmarks they ran in-house using the following games: Battlefield V, Borderlands 3, CoD: Modern Warfare, The Division 2, Doom Eternal, Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Resident Evil 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and Wolfenstein Youngblood. Ten games in total running at 1440p and 2160p at the highest quality presets. They included the RTX 3090, RTX 3080, and RTX 2080 Ti for comparison and all those results are posted on AMD's website.

We're due to testing Ryzen 5000 CPUs next week, as well as the new Radeons when they become available later in November and December. Meanwhile, AMD's test bench used the yet unreleased Ryzen 9 5900X and 16 GB of 3200 MHz memory. The processor’s unique Smart Access Memory feature was enabled, which reportedly boosts the system’s overall performance by sharing resources between the processor and graphics card.

Average Framerates

RX 6900 XT RX 6800 XT RX 6800 RTX 3090 RTX 3080 RTX 2080 Ti
1440p (2K) 188 178 154 175 163 129
2160p (4K) 112 103 88 109 99 76

Onto the data itself. These are bold claims from AMD, though once again, they are using a specific test bench that may favor their GPUs which may lack balance but that doesn't make the testing or results inaccurate.

At 1440p, on average, the RX 6900 XT seems to beat the RTX 3090 by 7%. The RX 6800 XT is 9% faster than the RTX 3080 and the RX 6800 outdoes the RTX 2080 Ti (an near equivalent to the RTX 3070) by 19%.

In 4K benchmarks the margins tighten a little. The RX 6900 XT beats the RTX 3090 by 3%, the RX 6800 XT is only 4% faster than the RTX 3080 and the RX 6800 can handily beat the RTX 2080 Ti by 15%.

There are a few other interesting results that the averages don’t reveal:

• Although the RX 6900 XT is the fastest card on average, it only beats the RTX 3090 in half the games.
  • Forza Horizon 4 and Battlefield V favor AMD cards in a more overwhelming manner. In both titles, at 1440p, AMD’s cards came first, second, and third.
  • The only time the RTX 3080 was able to beat the RX 6900 XT was in The Division 2 at 4K.
  • The RTX 2080 Ti came last in every benchmark. This GPU's performance is close to the new $500 RTX 3070.

Although conclusions can’t be properly drawn until the reviews are in, it looks like choosing the best graphics card will come down to what games you play and whether you place some value on ray tracing (AMD has not said much about ray traced performance), DLSS or features like Smart Access Memory.

Overall, AMD’s Big Navi GPUs look impressive on paper and we can only rejoice about having them compete hand to hand against Nvidia's best once again.

Permalink to story.

On an AMD x370 chipset motherboard with PCIe 3.0 slots, would it be pointless to install a PCIe 4.0 generation video card?

It will be interesting to see how AMD drivers hold up with this new release. At this stage in GPU performance I would consider paying the premium simply to be on nvidia's driver platform and software suite though admittedly it's been a few years since I threw in the towel with AMD.

And I bet what happens when you put a nvidia card in with a AMD processor or Intel with a Radeon card things will look more the same. So basically if you want the best overall system/performance AMD says go with us. At least thats the case for now.

It will be interesting to see how AMD drivers hold up with this new release. At this stage in GPU performance I would consider paying the premium simply to be on nvidia's driver platform and software suite though admittedly it's been a few years since I threw in the towel with AMD.

GamersNexus contacted AMD in regards to launch drivers and according to AMD, they have been pouring a lot of resources into their driver team over the last year.

Guess we'll see when the cards launch but there has certainly been an effort on AMD's side to improve their drivers and expand the team.

If RT sucks for AMD cards that will leave a big question mark despite their (at this time alleged) top performance. Being quiet about it is not a good sign. We`ll see.

If RT sucks for AMD cards that will leave a big question mark despite their (at this time alleged) top performance. Being quiet about it is not a good sign. We`ll see.
RT drags even Nvidia's own cards down so hard, that the tech remains a question mark itself on how to progress. Even Nvidia itself might need a few more generations to polish up it's own introduction to play at a respectable framerate without lowering the resolution or details.

I wouldn't call RT is the thing to look for until quite some time to come, IF it ever takes off.

Like VR, it remains a niche area.

I'm leaning towards not worrying about RT. To the extent devs spend time on it at all, their first focus is likely to be the consoles. And if they make it work there, it will be on an AMD architecture with less raw power than the 6800XT. So even assuming Nvidia brings more raw power to the table, whatever actual good gaming experience exists to be had with it, will probably be available to AMD too. I'm more skeptical as to whether it will make any material difference to my enjoyment of any title in this generation either way.

It's going to be tougher to make a good decision this generation. Performance seems balanced enough that other factors will have more weight than they did in the past. The full data of what it's like to be an owner of either family over say the next year won't be in for a long time, and a full scope review won't be able to focus on just FPS numbers (although it's probably what we'll get, given both inertia and it's the closest to being an objective vs subjective measurement.)

That said it may all be moot anyway, with the only relevant factor for the average consumer being which unit they were lucky enough to find in stock.

Congrads to AMD being able to buy the Nvidia GPUs - or did they pay the scalpers

What kind of seems implicit is Nvidia most have spies or good intel -as they priced their GPUs lower and dropped the RTX 3070 the day before . I am going to go out on a limb and say NVidia would of had much higher prices to say "we are the best so we can " - if AMD was likely to be weak. Nvidia would of maxed their high end and thrown out a good value 3060 like they always do.

Last edited:
GamersNexus contacted AMD in regards to launch drivers and according to AMD, they have been pouring a lot of resources into their driver team over the last year.

Guess we'll see when the cards launch but there has certainly been an effort on AMD's side to improve their drivers and expand the team.

Hope so. I want AMD to knock it out of the park so I can cancel my 3090 preorder.

Benchmarks produced by the GPU designer themselves are always very sketchy, we shall see if the real world benchmarks bare out the same numbers.

You're probably the only person that gives the slightest **** about that game.
I played what amounted to the very first iteration of FS on a Radio Shack TRS-80.The whole planning the flight thing was cool along with the relief of landing and completing the flight. It was boring and interesting at the same time. I never took the time time to pick it up since. Not like I wasn't interested. Just distracted by other things.

You're probably the only person that gives the slightest **** about that game.
Maybe in this forum but the game is a highly popular game for ppl and anyone into sims especially flight sims. So lets not say something about a game that you clearly know nothing about just cause you dont like the poster.

You cant even find a new flight stick for the game. Plenty of used ones for the same as new.
*please anyone dont try and say you see new ones from like joes crabshack or something. Reputable places.

Maybe in this forum but the game is a highly popular game for ppl and anyone into sims especially flight sims. So lets not say something about a game that you clearly know nothing about just cause you dont like the poster.

You cant even find a new flight stick for the game. Plenty of used ones for the same as new.
*please anyone dont try and say you see new ones from like joes crabshack or something. Reputable places.
It is popular among people into flight sims, meaning it's not popular at all. I have nothing against the poster, don't know where you got that from.

I have a “vintage” RTX-3090 that I will be selling on EBay if anyone would like to buy it.
No chance. I think unless someone needs the 24GB of data for some particular workload I know nothing of, then there's almost no reason to buy it. For games with Ray tracing etc the 3080 is close enough at half the price, or now there's the 6900 for pure raw performance at 2/3rds the price. I really think AMD should have priced the 6900 at a maximum of 899 to have really rubbed egg in Nvidia's face. They're not gonna sell that many of them compared to the two models below so the economic hit would be slight compared to the positive news coverage.

Back