AMD reveals 7nm Navi GPU and Epyc Rome CPUs will launch next quarter

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: AMD has revealed that it will launch its next-gen 7nm Navi graphics architecture in the third quarter of this year. The 7nm Epyc Rome processors, meanwhile, will start shipping in the second quarter before also launching in Q3 2019, using the Zen 2 architecture with possibly up to 64 cores or more.

The news came during AMD’s quarterly earnings results. The tech giant slightly beat analysts’ expectations despite revenue falling 23 percent year-on-year to $1.27 billion, which it blames on lower client processor sales. The company’s net income was also down—it fell 80 percent YoY to $16 million—but AMD says it gained desktop PC market share for the sixth consecutive quarter.

Other than the Q3 launch period, few details were revealed about the first Navi card, but CEO Lisa Su did reveal that it would be priced lower than the $699 Radeon VII. This means that, unlike Nvidia’s launch strategy, we could see a more powerful (and expensive) Navi flagship arrive at a later date.

Su was also asked if Navi would feature the same type of ray tracing abilities as Nvidia’s RTX cards, but she declined to answer.

AMD’s second-generation Epyc processor, Rome, will also launch in Q3 after sampling this quarter. It is built on TSMC’s 7nm process and is the first product based on the Zen 2 architecture. We’ve already seen a sample of the chip in the wild that featured 64 cores and 128 threads, and it’s predicted that Rome will help force Intel’s server market share below 90 percent.

Due to falling console sales, AMD’s Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom segment revenue was down 17 percent YoY to $441 million. But Su believes this will improve next year, thanks to the PlayStation 5 using Zen 2 and Navi.

“We delivered solid first quarter results with significant gross margin expansion as Ryzen and Epyc processor and datacenter GPU revenue more than doubled year-over-year,” said Su. “We look forward to the upcoming launches of our next-generation 7-nanometer PC, gaming and data center products which we expect to drive further market share gains and financial growth.”

Permalink to story.

Its entertaining when people try to determine what kind of power Navi will be running at.
Its what ever they choose it to be.
It can be 75 watts to 450 watts its all down to them.

Here's to Navi actually giving Nvidia a run for its money and performing competitively. Though I still like Nvidia products better, competition never hurts when it comes to better prices for us customers!

Ah, the sweet smell of competition...
I wouldn't hold my breath, by the time Navi arrives it will probably not compete with RTX 2080 Ti due to the fact that it's still a GCN based arch. On top of that, Nvidia will be preparing its 7nm cards. AMD is in a bad spot in GPU business I'm afraid. At least on the consumer side.

I wouldn't hold my breath, by the time Navi arrives it will probably not compete with RTX 2080 Ti due to the fact that it's still a GCN based arch. On top of that, Nvidia will be preparing its 7nm cards. AMD is in a bad spot in GPU business I'm afraid. At least on the consumer side.

That's ok, so long as they bring prices down of all the other cards PC gamers will be happy.

No one cares about 2080ti. If amd can bring a cheaper alternative to gtx 1080 or rtx 2070, people will buy. Having the most powerful card never determined wich company is more sucessful. Is shocking to still pay 500€/600€ for that kind of performance

You think AMD needs to compete with a card that 0,03% of SteamStats users use? I don´t think so buddy. Look at the mid-end and a bit of high-end market (2070 at max, 1070ti etc)

I mentioned 2080 ti for comparison, to draw a picture of AMD's current capabilities. If they make top Navi a RTX 2060 (similar to GTX 1070/1080) equivalent, how are they going to compete with the 7nm Nvidia cards afterwards? AMD will be pushed to further decrease their profits. Besides, How long can AMD sustain being the cheaper alternative? Right now they are, but do they get profit from the RX 580s/570s they sell now? Vega 56 is not a bad offering but it's under cross-fire in between RTX 2060 and GTX 1660. Nvidia is pushing AMD at the lowest pricing segment just like Intel did.

I have no idea, I guess after 7nm it will be a battle of prices, as power consumption should be decent with Navi. To stay competitive ahead of future nvidia launches amd will have to drop prices as much as they can.

Vega and Faileon VII already did show that AMD would sell their less performing cards for nearly the same or even higher price than the competition /Nvidia/.

So really, please, stop with the tale how you will get 1080gtx/2070 rtx equivalents for 200, 250 USD respectively.

It didn't happen with Vega, it didn't happen with Faileon VII, it won't happen with Navi.

By the time these cards are released Nvidia will be about to launch their 7nm lineup and make all the amd cards obsolete.

People want AMD to be somehow competitive so they can buy Nvidia cards cheaper.

The market is flooded with cheap 1060, 1070, 1080, 1080ti gtx gpus so good luck to AMD with selling anything.

AMD should work more on drivers and on bribing the game developers, the way Nvidia does. Because in the end it turns out the problem was in drivers, and deliberately slowed-down games when they detect an AMD card.

Which is very evident from the benchmarks done a few years after an AMD card was launched, when it suddenly performs better than its Nvidia competitor (from the same period). You have to ask yourself, how can it be better now, when it was worse at the launch? Same hardware, several years old. Nobody touched it. And now it's faster. Of course, the problem were drivers AND game makers (for the games of that period) bribed by Nvidia.

So what AMD should do is to invest more in clandestine operations and better drivers. Because that's how Nvidia wins every time. By using dirty tricks. Not better hardware.

Back