AMD reveals its 32-core Threadripper 2 CPU

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Intel wowed crowds at Computex yesterday with the announcement of a 28-core single-socket processor, but AMD has just topped that by revealing a chip with 32 cores and 64 threads: Threadripper 2.

Not only is AMD crushing Intel when it comes to core and thread counts with Threadripper 2, but it’s also beating the company to market. While its rival’s 28-core chip is set to arrive in late 2018, the second generation Threadripper will be here sometime during the third quarter of this year.

Threadripper 2 doubles the original chip’s 16 cores and 32 threads and is based on the same 12nm ZEN+ architecture as AMD's latest Ryzen desktop CPUs. It runs in the same TR4 socket as its predecessor, will be air-cooled and have an estimated 250W TDP rating. There will also be other versions of Threadripper 2, including one with 24 cores.

"The flagship processor—the 32 core—will have four Ryzen die inside the package. Those are tied together with AMD's Infinity fabric that allows those four die to act like one monster processor working altogether," said AMD senior vice president and general manager of computing and graphics, Jim Anderson.

Some current X399 motherboards could struggle with Threadripper 2 when it comes to power delivery, though this might only mean more restrictive overclocking. However, we’ve seen refreshed X399 boards at Computex with improved power delivery capabilities (19-phase VRM) designed with Threadripper 2 and its many cores in mind.

In addition to Threadripper 2, AMD said a Radeon RX Vega 56 “nano” graphics card designed for Mini-ITX systems is now shipping. It also announced a new generation of Vega GPUs for workstations and datacenters based on the 7nm process and featuring four stacks of high-bandwidth memory (HBM2) totalling 32GB. It added that people should “stay tuned” for the 7nm consumer GPUs.

Lisa Su, president and CEO of AMD, said more than 400 million PCs and console gamers use machines that run on Radeon graphics. She also announced 7-nanometer Epyc processors for enterprise and data centers, which are set to launch in 2019.

Permalink to story.

I'd be surprised (but happy) if it runs at 4.0 in Turbo. My 1950X gets pretty hot when it sits at 4.0 for any period of time.

Most likely it will be about 3.0Hz base frequency, and 4.0Hz in Turbo mode. The cost of trying to fit 32 cores into a 250TDP, which is already monstrous.
Sounds about right to me... I'm assuming Threadripper will be superior to the insane Intel 28 core in productivity, probably slightly inferior in games, but use WAY less power, and cost half as much... or less....

Sooooo hot.. want to touch the hiney.

Can't wait for the end of this year. CPU warns! GO AMD! I haven't owned an AMD CPU since my Phenom II 940BE (7 years). I look forward to my next purchase. :)

Most likely it will be about 3.0Hz base frequency, and 4.0Hz in Turbo mode. The cost of trying to fit 32 cores into a 250TDP, which is already monstrous.
Sounds about right to me... I'm assuming Threadripper will be superior to the insane Intel 28 core in productivity, probably slightly inferior in games, but use WAY less power, and cost half as much... or less....

You forgot the mention the phase change cooler intel has to use to cool that beast while AMD's was air cooled.

I'd be surprised (but happy) if it runs at 4.0 in Turbo. My 1950X gets pretty hot when it sits at 4.0 for any period of time.

Ryzen+ can sustain higher clocks at a much lower voltage. For example, A Ryzen 2700X only needs 1.21v on average to hit 4 GHz while a 1800X needs 1.4 - 1.5v. It's a decent improvement.

Hopefully AMD can continue this and gain a bigger percentage of the server market. Since Intel makes a ton of money here with cpu's that are practically identical to each other but with just different parts turned off.

You forgot the mention the phase change cooler intel has to use to cool that beast while AMD's was air cooled.

I missed a lot of the release but just read about the cooler required by the Intel CPU...... not sure if I want it more because of the crazy cooler

Please don't accuse me of being a fanboy, but couldn't Intel get at least that many cores in one of their CPUs, if the simply made it four times the size, the same way AMD has?

Let's be realistic, the 4,000 pin socket that beast needs, is pushing up against 4 X 1151 sockets.

If you'll indulge me in a bit of nostalgia, 4000 divided by 775 equals 5.16, (and change).

Please don't accuse me of being a fanboy, but couldn't Intel get at least that many cores in one of their CPUs, if the simply made it four times the size, the same way AMD has?

Let's be realistic, the 4,000 pin socket that beast needs, is pushing up against 4 X 1151 sockets.

If you'll indulge me in a bit of nostalgia, 4000 divided by 775 equals 5.16, (and change).

Yeah they could but they didn't.

TLDR is Intel thought they could maintain the lead on superior fab and AMD knew they could never win that battle in the short term so they decided to change the rules. A result of the new rule book was Infinity Fabric so they could "glue" CPUs together as no one really minds having a big socket but having to have a phase change cooler (> $1000) does put people off.

Intel do have their version of "glue" but it is a little way off for this kind of scale.......

AMD first to market on a new tech and it actually paid off........ doesn't happen very often for them.

But then they would be hypocrites, they would be using Glue - and I can imagine that they will stomp all over AMD for using even more glue. :)

Yeah they could but they didn't.

TLDR is Intel thought they could maintain the lead on superior fab and AMD knew they could never win that battle in the short term so they decided to change the rules. A result of the new rule book was Infinity Fabric so they could "glue" CPUs together as no one really minds having a big socket but having to have a phase change cooler (> $1000) does put people off.

Intel do have their version of "glue" but it is a little way off for this kind of scale.......

AMD first to market on a new tech and it actually paid off........ doesn't happen very often for them.
In defense of AMD, they have only recently put someone in charge who has any clue as to the technology behind the products they make. Rory Reed was a complete joke. Lisa Su has more technical brain cells than Reed could ever hope to have, and I suspect that is at least part of the reason why AMD is giving Intel a run for the money these days. As I see it, if AMD ever names another technically clueless CEO like Rory Reed, the board should be committed to an insane asylum.

Last edited:
I've always kinda thought that if AMD can get their lineup at least a gen ahead in terms of features and functionality, even if single core performance can't match Intel's top end chips, they can forever change their position in the industry.

Back