AMD Ryzen now accounts for over 25% of CPUs among Steam users

onetheycallEric

Staff
The big picture: Steam's Hardware Survey for September 2020 paints an interesting picture for AMD. The Red Team is pushing some of its most competitive CPUs in years, and while Zen was a slow burn with gamers early on, that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. Zen 2-based CPUs came a long way in closing the single-threaded performance gap against Intel's favored gaming chips. Zen 3 promises to ratchet that pressure up even further, and we're going to see even more gamers come aboard the good ship Ryzen.

Just ahead of AMD's Zen 3 reveal on October 8th, the latest Steam Hardware Survey has AMD laying claim to more than 25 percent of the CPU share among Steam's polled user base.

The September 2020 numbers come in at 25.75 percent for AMD, to be exact, marking a 0.84% improvement since August. Meanwhile, Intel still holds the lion's share at 74.24 percent, notching a 0.85% decline month-over-month. Still, AMD has seen continued growth among Steam's users for months -- a trend that's unlikely to wane with Zen 3 right around the corner.

Elsewhere within the survey, we can see that Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1060 remains the most popular GPU, despite its slipping grip on the top spot. The GeForce GTX 1650 saw the largest boost in overall growth, with a 0.24% improvement over last month, bringing the card to a 3.76 percent share.

AMD's GPUs aren't faring as well; in fact, the only AMD card to crack the top ten is the Radeon RX 580 at 2.22 percent. Interestingly, AMD's RX 5500 XT showed up for the first time, with a market share of 0.15%.

Quad-core CPUs still hold the majority of the market share on Steam at 45.69 percent. However, quad-cores have been steadily on the decline, giving away market share to hexa-core CPUs over the last several months, as 6-core CPUs now account for 26.39 percent of the CPUs installed among Steam users.

Rounding out the notables, Windows 10 64-bit continues to lead as the most popular OS, 16GB continues to be the sweet spot for system RAM, and 1920 x 1080 is the most common resolution among PC gamers.

Permalink to story.

*Led Zeppelin "Kashmir" playing*
*Intel-Godzilla is trapped on a sandy beach"
*Lots of AMD marked gunship helicopters flying around firing guns and missiles on Godzilla"
*Godzilla trying to catch the AMD helicopters but he is too slow"
*Godzilla roars in rage*

AMD has managed to wound the beast for real it seems.

And Steam users account for less than 0.01% of all PC users.

Hell of a news though, if you like to put a spin on a dime.

Last edited:
Still running a ryzen 1700 and feel no reason to upgrade. Maybe if I was a high FPS gamer, but I use a TV as a monitor. It accepts 120hz input and that's fantastic for the older games I play.

Cyberpunk 2077 might change that

99.99% of all statistics posted on the internet are made up on the spot.

It gives you a good picture of what the rest of the gamers are using including those not on steam. Its probably the best numbers we can find with the statistics they provide. It's not meant to be a percentage or combination of ALL pc users...stop being obtuse.

And Steam users account for less than 0.01% of all PC users.

Hell of a news though, if you like to put a spin on a dime.
That is factually incorrect. Steam has 90 million active monthly users. For that <0.01% number to be true, there would have to be over 9 billion total PC users on earth. I dont need to tell you why that is hilariously off base from your estimate. (here's a hint, windows makes up the vast majority of PC users and is estimated to have roughly 1.5 billion active users as of january 2020). Based on that number Steam makes up 0.06% of the market.

It's also spiritually incorrect. Steam is present on the vast majority of gaming PCs today, and is a decent representation of the PC gaming space, a small but very profitable niche of the PC space.

That is factually incorrect. Steam has 90 million active monthly users. For that <0.01% number to be true, there would have to be over 9 billion total PC users on earth. I dont need to tell you why that is hilariously off base from your estimate. (here's a hint, windows makes up the vast majority of PC users and is estimated to have roughly 1.5 billion active users as of january 2020). Based on that number Steam makes up 0.06% of the market.

It's also spiritually incorrect. Steam is present on the vast majority of gaming PCs today, and is a decent representation of the PC gaming space, a small but very profitable niche of the PC space.
I will reply with the same - "That is factually incorrect". That stat includes all users that may have used Steam just once, and then never used it again, leaving a dormant account behind. Number of recurrent users is a lot smaller. After all, the stat is provided by Steam itself, for self-promotion. And that's even without considering the huge number of ghost accounts on Steam, generated for nefarious activity by all kinds of dishonest users.

Last edited:
AMD has persevered over the years through their dogmatic approach for improvement. Certainly not always perfect but continuing to work towards this goal. I wish no ill to Intel because competition is always to the advantage of the consumer. My biggest wish is that both, as competitors, continue to improve the quality and performance of their representative products so we, the consumers, might benefit.

I will reply with the same - "That is factually incorrect". That stat includes all users that may have used Steam just once, and then never used it again, leaving a dormant account behind. Number of recurrent users is a lot smaller. After all, the stat is provided by Steam itself, for self-promotion. And that's even without considering the huge number of ghost accounts on Steam, generated for nefarious activity by all kinds of dishonest users.

It's better not to speak than seem a .....

Your initial statement didn't even survive a sniff test- I I could spout other speculation as well - steam users care about FPS so they buy Intel - so ergo this means is worse in general non-gaming pop.

Most readers know the Steam survey has collecting flaws - but the basic premise is easily pass the gold std of 7 std deviations of a TREND towards AMD . Why are you so concerned to spout & defend ridiculously stats.

So you went from Steam is just a tiny percntage of pc's to now it has ghost accounts and nerfarious unexplained reasons for the survey. That is some serious doubling down on Steam bashing LOL.

I should really sell my 3700x n pick up a 10600k oced or 9700k while they are sub $300 n get that 10% or so fps boost. For free. Buttttttt, next gen zen inc. If the leaks are true it at least matches the 10900k. And packing shipping, remounting my custom loop etc I need more motivation. Plus the extra heat, it's still 100f+ outside.

As far as steam... pretty sure nearly every PC gamer has it installed. Unless you just play league of legend or strictly blizzard. Even then you have probably at least tried a game on steam.

I should really sell my 3700x n pick up a 10600k oced or 9700k while they are sub $300 n get that 10% or so fps boost. For free. Buttttttt, next gen zen inc. If the leaks are true it at least matches the 10900k. And packing shipping, remounting my custom loop etc I need more motivation. Plus the extra heat, it's still 100f+ outside.

As far as steam... pretty sure nearly every PC gamer has it installed. Unless you just play league of legend or strictly blizzard. Even then you have probably at least tried a game on steam.
Id warn you to stay away from the 9700Ks. So many reporting issues either because of no hyperthreading or games simply not optimizing for them, likely due to no HT. So let the 9th gen die as it should. They arent worth the headaches, maybe the i9 but it too has had its issues.

I got mine installed

Go tenth generation.

Imagine if this stat was reported by % of total cores...

As to the 0.01% BS, it's even worse than what Theinsanegamer said: 0.01% is 1/10,000, meaning that there would need to be 900 billion PCs for Steam's 90 million *active monthly* users to be only 0.01% of them. That'd be 115 PCs for every man, woman, and child on the planet.

btw it was actually 95 million active monthly in 2019, and they had 20.3 million *concurrent* (active simultaneously) in March 2020.

All that said I don't know how many of those users are included in the hardware survey report (not sure if its 100% or sampled, although it could be representative of their user base either way.)

So you went from Steam is just a tiny percntage of pc's to now it has ghost accounts and nerfarious unexplained reasons for the survey. That is some serious doubling down on Steam bashing LOL.
Actually, nobody uses Steam. It is all a giant conspiracy theory.

I love it when AMD is catching up, more competition is great, but Intel only improved a five years old architecture so far, so if another Core2duo moment arrives, don`t be surprised.

Back