AMD starts shipping 32nm 'Llano' APUs to OEM partners

Jos

Staff

AMD yesterday had some pleasant news to share with investors and customers: the first shipment of 32nm A-Series APUs just went out to OEM partners, with the first systems carrying them expected to arrive in mid-2011 as promised. The company’s interim CEO, Thomas Seifert, made the announcement during a conference call to discuss the recent change in its supply agreement with its manufacturing partner and spinoff GlobalFoundries.

AMD is already shipping C-Series (codenamed Ontario) and E-Series (codenamed Zacate) APUs as part of the new Fusion lineup, which brings multiple x86 cores and discrete-level DirectX 11 graphics onto the same piece of silicon. But these two are low-power parts designed for smaller netbooks, budget laptops and entry-level ultrathin notebooks.

The A-Series (codenamed Llano) on the other hand is targeted at mainstream laptops and desktops, and will be the first from AMD made using a 32-nanometer manufacturing process. It's not clear which products began shipping out specifically but if roadmap leaks and past demos are any indication we expect AMD to tackle the mobile segment first.

The desktop version of Llano could ship in the third and fourth quarters of 2011, with July 20 mentioned in the most recent leaked roadmaps as the release date for the first five chips. Later on the FX-Series (codenamed Zambezi) will come into play with four, six, and eight core variants aimed at Intel's fastest Core i5 and i7 processors.

Permalink to story.

It's SAD to see AMD trying to innovate. They should KNOW by now that they can't make money after spending billions in R&D, because INTEL has a secret monopolistic scheme to block AMD out of the worldwide PC market.

In antitrust litigation against Intel, subpoenaed Intel documents showed that Intel:

1. Secretly bribed Dell 6-BILLION dollars to not sell AMD products.

2. Secretly bribed and threatened HP to keep AMD's market share under 5%.

3. Secretly bribed and threatened IBM with over 100-MILLION dollars to not bring an AMD product line to market.

Intel is a very disturbing company. AMD is toast.

It's SAD to see AMD trying to innovate.

Actually, it would be sad to see AMD not try to innovate. Not likely that they are going to just roll over and play dead because of big bad Intel. The Fusion product is steadily gaining traction and may do much better than you might think. The ATI acquisition is looking better than many thought, now giving Nvidia some pretty stiff competition. If Bulldozer turns out to be truly competitive with the latest Intel processor offerings there are many that will then be willing to consider AMD once again.

I hope they keep plugging away.

Actually, it would be sad to see AMD not try to innovate. Not likely that they are going to just roll over and play dead because of big bad Intel. The Fusion product is steadily gaining traction and may do much better than you might think.

AMD is filled to the limit with such an intelligent staff. It would be truly awful *not* to see them using that potential to their advantage. AMD used to be the inventor of all kinds of stuff, yet now it seems that Intel is playing the dirty hand in order to get the final victory. Such a shame.

Thumbs up for the Fusion APU, AMD - hope it'll be worth something.

i must confess i used to be hardcore amd only, and then turned my back on them over daul core, now if bulldozer is good i will go out of my way to upgrade the whole pc to amd only like i have intel currently...

I just hope they can make it on time.....intel is already shipped thier latest and greatest xeon server parts including the upgraded attom and in a few months we got the ivy bridge 22nm comming...

If AMD fails this time god help them coz no one else can.....and i dont want to pay $1000 for a cpu, as the case with sandy 22nm (1000 min purchase) now that price will fall if AMD can answer back with something...

intel is just out there to rob people... every cpu is a minor upgrade e.g. size & small features which can be enabled in all intel cpu`s (fact)

Heck if all my products outperformed the competition by noticeable paces I'd charge you for w/e I could get too, AMD needs to step it up.

I dont See myself as a billionaire but i must admit i dont see amd competing in the pricetag/performance section im currently running which is the i7-970.
Amd just dont have the chip im looking for, and i also just build a low budget sandy bridge system for my friend, finding that amd wasnt cheaper nor showing the same performance in that prictag.

Sry but amd just dont cut it for me, i dont see myself as a fanboi but i used to build amd´s for the price/performance ratio, but it just isnt there anymore. Since sandy bridge is quite cheap when u leave the 2600k and the performance is excellent.

Hope bulldozer will show some good numbers so building lowbudget systems will be cheaper, for the midrange-highend it would reguire alot for me consider amd an option.

Back