AMD taking sides with Microsoft!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

I find this rather interesting. I find Mr. Sanders to be quite the character...

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-883732.html
By Joe Wilcox
Special to ZDNet News
April 16, 2002, 7:15 AM PT

Sanders, in written testimony submitted before his scheduled appearance, said that the litigating states' proposed remedy of requiring Microsoft to sell a stripped-down version of Windows "would have harmful effects on AMD, the computer industry as whole, the U.S. economy and consumers worldwide."

Sanders said Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates asked him to testify and that he agreed out of concern over the remedy proposal. He faulted the remedy provision of the litigating states, which would compel Microsoft to release a second version of Windows without so-called middleware, such as browsing and media playback technologies.

The proposal, he argued, could lead to the fragmentation of Windows and "would set the computer industry back almost 20 years."

Sanders praised Microsoft for helping to bring standardization to the computer industry. "Standardized platforms promote competition," he asserted. The absence of this standardization "would diminish overall competition as many software and hardware vendors would have to decide which particular operating system(s) to target as a development platform."

Where there is smoke there is fire, and I smell smoke!!!

All I have to say is that Sanders quote on fragmenting Microsoft would set the computer industry back by 20 years is a complete joke. All their trying to do is to stop Microsoft from putting IE, Messenger, etc. in their OS. Hasn't he ever heard of AIM, ICQ, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, etc, etc. to use as alternates to Microsoft's products???

And hasn't he ever heard of a little OS called Linux...???

I think Microsoft and Mr. AMD are forming a nice little friendship.

The proposal, he argued, could lead to the fragmentation of Windows and "would set the computer industry back almost 20 years."
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:haha:
I wonder how he proves that :haha:

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
All I have to say is that Sanders quote on fragmenting Microsoft would set the computer industry back by 20 years is a complete joke. All their trying to do is to stop Microsoft from putting IE, Messenger, etc. in their OS. Hasn't he ever heard of AIM, ICQ, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, etc, etc. to use as alternates to Microsoft's products???

And hasn't he ever heard of a little OS called Linux...???

I think Microsoft and Mr. AMD are forming a nice little friendship.
Dunno, I don't think they are that far off really. Most people who buy PCs are *****s (In a nice way, heh). They do not know of alternatives anyway.
It's kinda a lose lose situation whatever Microsoft does. Look at the whole Java debacle. They (rightly) get sued over bundling their own semi-incompatible distribution. They remove it in XP & they get sued for being anti-competitive. There's no pleasing Sun.

Most *****s have problems with basic operation of Windows (I know at work someone who didn't even know how to remove the desktop wallpaper after adding it, heh). Linux is far from an alternative for most people. I know about 2 years or less ago I couldn't even get linux to install, despite the help files was just too alien.

Originally posted by 3DSThomas
Most people who buy PCs are *****s (In a nice way, heh).
I know about 2 years or less ago I couldn't even get linux to install, despite the help files was just too alien.

I hear ya. Linux has come along way in the past few years as far as user friendliness, but their still not up to Microsoft's level, or Apple's for that matter. I think if users opened their eyes to the possibilities that Linux contains they would see that taking a few days or weeks to learn it would be worth their while.

I work in a computer lab at my university and I've heard some of the most stupid questions you would ever think would be asked. And I quote, "How do I get on the Internet?!?" "How do I save my work?" "Why does my paper look like this?" How the hell am I supposed to know how you screwed your paper up? I'm not the answer to everything!!! :)

Anyway, there are plenty more great ones, but I'll decline to post them here anyway. Maybe I should make a thread on the most stupid computer questions ever...

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
I work in a computer lab at my university and I've heard some of the most stupid questions you would ever think would be asked. And I quote, "How do I get on the Internet?!?" "How do I save my work?" "Why does my paper look like this?" How the hell am I supposed to know how you screwed your paper up? I'm not the answer to everything!!! :)
Yeah I get stuff like this in email also. a few system specs & then "what would you recommend I change settings wise for...".
Though most funnily my cousin who was to be starting "Computer Applications" in college 2 weeks or so after I went down to his house. I was asked down to fix his printer. He had installed the thing (wrongly) about 20 times (According to the Printer folder in the Control Panel). Took like 2 minutes to do it again from disk & it worked.
Then he said something about his modem, which to him was the "case under the monitor". Which he completely believed despite me telling otherwise. Hmmmm.
Nor did he actually realise how to shut down a PC via the Start menu. Rather killing the power & wondering "Why does this (scandisk) always run after turning it on".

Needless to say he failed the college course ;) (About 6 final exams at that I think, heh)

The world is full of people like that. I have already told the story of the person at my work who waited for 4 hours wanting to use his machine because he needed me to power it back up again after an electrician had turned it off.....

Personally I am thankful for these people because their stupidity keeps me in a job, and I fear for the day where someone invents a computer that fixes itself and is one hundred percent intuitive and understandable.

As to this "back by 20 years stuff", I think that even if Microsoft went up in flames tomorrow the industry would not go back 20 years. Once something has been invented, it can't be "uninvented". There will still be the internet, tcp/ip, hard drives, hardware accelerated transform and lighting, broadband cable modem internet services, Oracle, SQL, etc, etc, etc....

I think that anyone who thinks of Microsoft as the be all and end all of computing is sadly flawed. They are just one manifestation of computing and all people would do well to fully realise that. They did not invent binary. They did not invent the internet. They did not invent the hard drive. I think mostly that even the complete destruction of Microsoft would merely mean some key retraining for IT workers here and there, and refresher courses for admin workers like secretaries, etc. The computing industry will never die and doesn't have Microsoft as its core axiom.

Microsoft's armageddon would undoubtedly mean a lot of inconvience and compatibility issues with whatever sprang up to take its place, but to think for one minute that we would all go back our 1K, single floppy, no hard drive boxes like the "good old days" of two decades ago is complete and utter poppycock.

Empires rise and fall.... Did the world stop turning when Athens fell to the power of Rome? Of course not. Nature abhorrs a vacuum and another monolithic corporate structure would merely take Microsoft's place and start to attempt to take everything over once again. That's not going to change just because Bill isn't at the helm of the Microsoft Corporate Machine any more....

Oh this just gets better and better.....

AMD's Sanders knows nothing about anything, claim States

By John Lettice
Posted: 04/18/2002 at 09:17 EST

The breadth of AMD chairman Jerry Sanders ignorance is quite staggering, if the Unsettling States are to be believed. Earlier this week lawyers for the States still pressing for tougher measures against Microsoft filed a motion in limine concerning Jerry's contributions to the Microsoft defence, and if we were Jerry we'd feel pretty hurt.

Let's hear it from the judge, as reported in the trial transcript for Tuesday morning: "Let me go through my comments relating to the plaintiffs' motion in limine relating to some of the written direct testimony of Mr. Sanders.

"The first area relates to lack of personal knowledge, rule 602. Plaintiffs have objected to a lack of personal knowledge in three categories."

These categories are, "One, the computer industry as a whole; two, the computer industry consumers; and three, software and/or hardware vendors." Well, that seems to cover it - what was it you said you did for a living again, Jerry? As usual, Judge Collar-Kottelly sort of allowed his testimony, but said she'd weight it, depending on whether she thought it was valid, admissible, whatever.

Subsequently, Jerry does not seem to have had a particularly good morning. Under cross-examination he conceded that he hadn't read the States' proposed remedies, and that he'd been called by His Billness asking for a personal favour on February 8th, which was the cut-off date for the trial witness list. He's only had about four personal calls from Bill in his life, and this was only the second one asking for a personal favour. Lamentably, the lawyer seems not to have asked him what the other was, so we remain unenlightened.

Having agreed to Bill's request that he testify in Microsoft's favour on the basis that Bill said the proposed remedies he hadn't read were "crazy," Jerry then observed that he'd been kind of hoping Bill was calling him about Hammer support instead. Much talking around the houses here, with Bill promising to talk to his people, but as of Tuesday 16th April, there's been no announcement of Hammer support by Microsoft: "And as you sit here today you're still waiting to see -- to have a public announcement if one will be made; correct?"

It is indeed correct, as Jerry conceded. One might also speculate that, given that the plaintiff States are trying to establish that Jerry testifying is a quid pro quo for a Microsoft Hammer announcement, it is now most unlikely that Microsoft will make such an announcement in the near future. Well done Jerry, good shooting.

Jerry does however appear to have been interrogated about something interesting later on. Unfortunately, after listening to the AMD lawyer's arguments, the judge decided "there is a basis in terms of protecting the competitive standing and that there will be a clearly defined and serious injury to AMD's business interests." The questioning was therefore conducted under seal in a closed courtroom.

Immediately prior to this, however, Jerry had an "oversight" pointed out to him. In his written deposition, it had been claimed he'd been named semiconductor CEO of the year for 1983, 1984 and 1985 by the Wall Street Journal. The publication in question turns out to have been the somewhat less famous Wall Street Transcript, "Oh, I think it meant that it was reported in the Wall Street Journal. I'm sorry. It's an oversight." Yeah, right, Jerry... ®

source: http://www.theregus.com/content/3/24681.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back