AMD will unveil the next Radeon RX 6000 card at March 3 event

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: AMD is unveiling a new addition to the Radeon RX 6000 series next week. The company tweeted that the graphics card, which will presumably be the Radeon RX 6700 XT, is being revealed in its third “Where Gaming Begins” event on March 3 at 8am PT / 11am EST.

AMD’s first Where Gaming Begins event in October pulled the curtain back on the Zen 3-based Ryzen 5000 CPUs, while part 2 focused on the first RDNA 2-powered Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards. Team Red tweeted that part 3 will reveal the "latest addition to the @AMD Radeon RX 6000 graphics family."

There’s no word on what this next card will be, but the Radeon RX 6700 XT is next in line for a release. The image AMD included looks like a smaller version of the RX 6800 and RX 6900, while the dual fan design and large “R” in the center match the render that JayzTwoCents revealed last year.

The image shows the card's three DisplayPort 1.4a outputs and a single HDMI 2.1 port. The USB Type-C port found in the other Radeon RX 6000 cards appears to have been removed, replaced with an extra DisplayPort, which will probably be welcomed by consumers.

AMD’s next card will be going up against the RTX 3060. The RX 6700 is said to feature 40 Compute Units, 2,304 Stream Processors, 36 Ray Accelerators, and 6GB of GDDR6, while the XT variant increases this to 2,560 Stream Processors, 40 Ray Accelerators, and 12GB of VRAM.

No word on price, but that might be irrelevant given the availability issues of so many products right now. It’s mostly due to the worldwide chip shortage predicted to last until 2022.

Permalink to story.

Nvidia cards for me have been between 2x to 4x MSRP price but are consistently restocked every other week or so. I have never seen a 6800 or 6800x available for purchase at ANY price whatsoever.

So this means that, outside of the US, AMD just has not even tried to bring any kind of volume to at least some of the rest of the markets around the world, price gauging or not.

So either the cards are not being made or AMD hasn't stopped AIB partners from just selling directly to miners without paying any distributor or store whatsoever. I highly suspect the later is the case.

Either way, I have 0% confidence this will be anything more than a paper launch. In fact without a catastrophic bitcoin/ethereum crash, I'd be amazed if any cards are sold at MSRP in 2021 this will be just a lost year for Radeon altogether when it come to gamers.

The cheapest 3070 I can find in stock is around 1350$ (tax included), most being above 1500$. The 3090 is selling for 3300$ in online stores O_o. The exact same goes for AMD cards... this is insane.

edit: the 1650 is 370-400$ ;(((

I can't wait for the mining boom to die down again so I can snatch a cheapo second hand card.

Last edited:
Nvidia cards for me have been between 2x to 4x MSRP price but are consistently restocked every other week or so. I have never seen a 6800 or 6800x available for purchase at ANY price whatsoever.

So this means that, outside of the US, AMD just has not even tried to bring any kind of volume to at least some of the rest of the markets around the world, price gauging or not.

So either the cards are not being made or AMD hasn't stopped AIB partners from just selling directly to miners without paying any distributor or store whatsoever. I highly suspect the later is the case.

Either way, I have 0% confidence this will be anything more than a paper launch. In fact without a catastrophic bitcoin/ethereum crash, I'd be amazed if any cards are sold at MSRP in 2021 this will be just a lost year for Radeon altogether when it come to gamers.

Must depend on the country. In Germany, RX 6000 series and RTX 3090 were available, but at ridiculous prices, so no thanks.
3080.... forget about it, 3070....forget about it....3060 Ti... Alternate has received a new shipment of Gainward Ghost 3060Ti....for €839.

If reviews are good I will try to get a reference model for MSRP on launch day, if that does not work I won‘t. Don‘t have high hopes this will go better than on the 3060Ti launch day.

Out Of Stock.

Edit: Advanced Mining Devices

I would kindly suggest to show pictures, links to articles showing mining farms filled with RX 6000 series cards, so put up or... well you know the drill.

This will most likely be a transition period for AMD just like the 2000 series was for Nvidia. If RDNA3 rumors are even half real then they have something interesting planned for 2022 alongside Zen4. I was wondering when AMD would bring multichip technology to the GPU and it seems that it will happen with the next generation (160 CUs vs the 80 they have now sounds insane).

TPU's story on the 6700XT says rumored price is $250 and the card is meant to compete with the 3060Ti.

The rumored price isn't for sure on the 6700XT, it's probably a very good chance the rumored $250 price is for the 6700 and I'd venture to guess you'd be looking around $350 for a 6700XT.

Then again, those would be MSRP prices and we'd probably see at least a 50% markup from there simply due to how everything else is going right now with GPU pricing.

Out Of Stock.

Edit: Advanced Mining Devices

I think cryptocurrency is a ponzi scheme and waste of time. I have no idea it will be around to threaten the availability of PC Hardware - or when the globalists will drop the hammer on miners as "wastes of energy causing global warming".

Unfortunately, you all will have to get your hands on a GPU as best you can.

Take your procurement out of the digital hands and go wait on line at Microcenter.

TPU's story on the 6700XT says rumored price is $250 and the card is meant to compete with the 3060Ti.

The rumored price isn't for sure on the 6700XT, it's probably a very good chance the rumored $250 price is for the 6700 and I'd venture to guess you'd be looking around $350 for a 6700XT.

Then again, those would be MSRP prices and we'd probably see at least a 50% markup from there simply due to how everything else is going right now with GPU pricing.
$350 for a 6700XT would be a great price if it performs like a 3060Ti.

Getting one....best bet would be trying to score a reference model on launch day.

I think cryptocurrency is a ponzi scheme and waste of time.
Yeah yeah... We heard that a gazillion times already. When are you going to post something new? Or heaven forbid, actually do some research before falsely repetitively calling something a Ponzi when it isn't?

I have no idea it will be around to threaten the availability of PC Hardware - or when the globalists will drop the hammer on miners as "wastes of energy causing global warming".
If you understood anything about crypto you would know that not only can it not be shut down, it's not even in the interest of countries to illegalize it. What will be your next excuse when the Proof of Stake coins, that don't use mining, take over, and it's no longer using a bunch of energy? Using too much bandwidth?

People complain about large corporations, but when there's a free resource out there to directly be part of something bigger, people fight against it. Mining is an opportunity for everyone that bought a graphics card to make the card pay back for itself. And it's sad that people go as far as wanting that ability removed from gamers, to try and artificially control a market that is bigger than Google...

I mean, think about that... We want companies that are not even half the size of Google combined, to limit a market that is bigger than Google... Let that sink in. Google is worth 1.4 Trillion, nVidia is worth 0.3 Trillion, AMD is worth 0.1 Trillion... And we want them to control a 1.6 Trillion crypto market? Let's be serious and real for at least a second.

Unfortunately, you all will have to get your hands on a GPU as best you can.

Take your procurement out of the digital hands and go wait on line at Microcenter.
The issue here is people having an obsession with new stuff. Do you know how many good games are out there that the majority of us can play with integrated graphics? Most of us have backlogs that we can play with our current hardware.
But noooo. We must have that latest new thing, otherwise gaming is impossible...

We live in a dopamine addicted society where we want immediate satisfaction, while there's a bunch of other options to achieve basically the same thing. If you play Cyberpunk 2077 today or in a year from now, it's the same game. In fact, it might even be a better game a year from now due to patches, and might even be cheaper to boot.

Seriously... I don't get it. Graphics card are not food. You're not going to die if you don't get one. The world would be a much better place if we fixed our addictions and looked at opportunities instead of limitations.

But what do I know...?

Last edited:

IF they are actually $250, and can offer +10-15% over a 5700xt, these cards will likely be a smash hit.

That is if AMD can make them. And I dont see how they could be faster, with the same coure count, a 64 bit smaller memory bus, and no infinity cahce? Card would be bandwidth starved at higher resolutions, and seems a pretty big jump from the 6800 in terms of performance.

Then again if sfhortages last until 2022 this entire generation is a total wash anyway.

This will most likely be a transition period for AMD just like the 2000 series was for Nvidia. If RDNA3 rumors are even half real then they have something interesting planned for 2022 alongside Zen4. I was wondering when AMD would bring multichip technology to the GPU and it seems that it will happen with the next generation (160 CUs vs the 80 they have now sounds insane).

I believe so, yes. However the issue is that both AMD and specially AMD fans lead everybody to believe RDNA2 *was THE turning point* and AMD being competitive on the high end again with Nvidia.

Which is only half true: Raw performance they're certainly there, not surpassing but competitive. But they still have two issues

1) Availability: Which as @Irata points out this varies country by country but I think it's not hard to establish Nvidia continues to have better availability even when prices for both are so extreme as to be all but irrelevant for gamers. I only bring this up because it was particularly infurating to see AMD mocking Nvidia for a poor 30X0 launch when they had a far worst launch themselves, at least on many markets (But qualified as maybe not all of them)

2) Feature set and Software: Which has been a constant torn on the side of anybody that's owned AMD cards before for decades now. Only now is compounding since we're finding out the feature set is becoming far more useful: Don't get me wrong I don't see a huge intrinsic value on Ray Tracing myself. But DLSS 2.0 as a way to overcome the massive performance penalty is extremely useful since now you can basically enable 4k gaming on 1080p level cards if they have at least a little bit of tenser cores and DLSS 2.0 enabled.

AMD is getting there soon, and that's good. But I don't really expect them to be as mature as DLSS 2.0 on their very first iteration.

At this point even though I would like to switch away from Nvidia's dirty and monopolistic practices, once prices normalize the 3060 (And possibly the 3050 if they decide to finally bring at least some tenser core support to the X050 level of cards which it should be more feasible now but no guarantees) means that I can get "good enough" 4k visuals out of DLSS upscaled 1080p at high settings without needing to put down money for a card that's double or triple the prices at the best of times but closer to 10x what the budget for an entry level card should be except now playing the premium resolution for example (Or high framerate if you upscale 720p or lower to 1080p it's still AFAIK technically feasible)

Microcenter has them for sale on launch day and lining up early gets you one usually.

They aren't ghost products. The Crypto miners buying them from scalpers know they are real.
In case you didn't notice, the world doesn't end in the US, so Microcenter is not a factor for many many customers...

I believe so, yes. However the issue is that both AMD and specially AMD fans lead everybody to believe RDNA2 *was THE turning point* and AMD being competitive on the high end again with Nvidia.

Which is only half true: Raw performance they're certainly there, not surpassing but competitive. But they still have two issues

1) Availability: Which as @Irata points out this varies country by country but I think it's not hard to establish Nvidia continues to have better availability even when prices for both are so extreme as to be all but irrelevant for gamers. I only bring this up because it was particularly infurating to see AMD mocking Nvidia for a poor 30X0 launch when they had a far worst launch themselves, at least on many markets (But qualified as maybe not all of them)

2) Feature set and Software: Which has been a constant torn on the side of anybody that's owned AMD cards before for decades now. Only now is compounding since we're finding out the feature set is becoming far more useful: Don't get me wrong I don't see a huge intrinsic value on Ray Tracing myself. But DLSS 2.0 as a way to overcome the massive performance penalty is extremely useful since now you can basically enable 4k gaming on 1080p level cards if they have at least a little bit of tenser cores and DLSS 2.0 enabled.

AMD is getting there soon, and that's good. But I don't really expect them to be as mature as DLSS 2.0 on their very first iteration.

At this point even though I would like to switch away from Nvidia's dirty and monopolistic practices, once prices normalize the 3060 (And possibly the 3050 if they decide to finally bring at least some tenser core support to the X050 level of cards which it should be more feasible now but no guarantees) means that I can get "good enough" 4k visuals out of DLSS upscaled 1080p at high settings without needing to put down money for a card that's double or triple the prices at the best of times but closer to 10x what the budget for an entry level card should be except now playing the premium resolution for example (Or high framerate if you upscale 720p or lower to 1080p it's still AFAIK technically feasible)
AMD cannot getting there soon, because they lack the hardware for DLSS (or for a real DLSS alternative).
AMD solution will be just upscaling, which is different from DLSS (far less refined).
RT could not be all, for sure, but it surely is a point, and AMD as usual is late to the party. They have great hardware, for sure, but on software support they are way behind.

IF they are actually $250, and can offer +10-15% over a 5700xt, these cards will likely be a smash hit.

That is if AMD can make them. And I dont see how they could be faster, with the same coure count, a 64 bit smaller memory bus, and no infinity cahce? Card would be bandwidth starved at higher resolutions, and seems a pretty big jump from the 6800 in terms of performance.

Then again if sfhortages last until 2022 this entire generation is a total wash anyway.

with a gigantic, big IF, I would add...
As of today if you can find a 5700XT for 500€ it would be a great deal.

Yeah yeah... We heard that a gazillion times already. When are you going to post something new? Or heaven forbid, actually do some research before falsely repetitively calling something a Ponzi when it isn't?

If you understood anything about crypto you would know that not only can it not be shut down, it's not even in the interest of countries to illegalize it. What will be your next excuse when the Proof of Stake coins, that don't use mining, take over, and it's no longer using a bunch of energy? Using too much bandwidth?

People complain about large corporations, but when there's a free resource out there to directly be part of something bigger, people fight against it. Mining is an opportunity for everyone that bought a graphics card to make the card pay back for itself. And it's sad that people go as far as wanting that ability removed from gamers, to try and artificially control a market that is bigger than Google...

I mean, think about that... We want companies that are not even half the size of Google combined, to limit a market that is bigger than Google... Let that sink in. Google is worth 1.4 Trillion, nVidia is worth 0.3 Trillion, AMD is worth 0.1 Trillion... And we want them to control a 1.6 Trillion crypto market? Let's be serious and real for at least a second.

The issue here is people having an obsession with new stuff. Do you know how many good games are out there that the majority of us can play with integrated graphics? Most of us have backlogs that we can play with our current hardware.
But noooo. We must have that latest new thing, otherwise gaming is impossible...

We live in a dopamine addicted society where we want immediate satisfaction, while there's a bunch of other options to achieve basically the same thing. If you play Cyberpunk 2077 today or in a year from now, it's the same game. In fact, it might even be a better game a year from now due to patches, and might even be cheaper to boot.

Seriously... I don't get it. Graphics card are not food. You're not going to die if you don't get one. The world would be a much better place if we fixed our addictions and looked at opportunities instead of limitations.

But what do I know...?
Do you know "the majority of us" don't even have an integrated GPU, since are using Ryzen (a quite popular solution in the last years) or F CPUs ?
And NO, I don't know of many good games that runs well on an iGPU.
Said that, I'd like the crypto market to disappear not only for energy waste reasons.

AMD cannot getting there soon, because they lack the hardware for DLSS (or for a real DLSS alternative).
That’s not entirely the case. While Radeon GPUs don’t have a separate collection of units for matrix operations, the CUs support all of the data types and math ops that Nvidia’s tensor cores do. The obvious drawback is if the CUs are doing tensor work, then they can’t do anything else. This is also the case with Nvidia’s Turing line, as the SMs can’t co-issue to the CUDA and tensor cores; this has been resolved for Ampere, but you’d still want to avoid it anyway, to reduce register pressure and cache bandwidth usage.

AMD solution will be just upscaling, which is different from DLSS (far less refined).
RT could not be all, for sure, but it surely is a point, and AMD as usual is late to the party. They have great hardware, for sure, but on software support they are way behind.
If done right, DirectML should give really good results. The best thing about it is that it will work on both AMD and Nvidia and it seems Xbox Series X just got an update for devs that enabled this feature.

Here's a demo from some time ago:

So, looking at the lackluster 3060 performance (between the 2070 and 5700XT in raster) coupled with high prices (starting price in the German stores I checked was €549), the bar for Navi 22 isn‘t really that high.

If 6700XT is available for a few minutes after launch I should be able to get one.

So, looking at the lackluster 3060 performance (between the 2070 and 5700XT in raster) coupled with high prices (starting price in the German stores I checked was €549), the bar for Navi 22 isn‘t really that high.

If 6700XT is available for a few minutes after launch I should be able to get one.

If you can grab one online for a reasonable price, great. Or even if you can go to a local store to get one.

The 3060 is not very good for the high price they're asking for. Micro Center had some inventory of 8 different models and only 1 of them was priced under $400. All other models were priced between $400-540. What gawd awful pricing for such a mediocre GPU.

RTX 3060 MSRP of $329, yet most of the cards are retailing for $400+ and sold out so fast that they've already been popping up on ebay and folks are asking $1000+ for them.

Something is very wrong with this whole situation with GPUs. I might just stick it out with my 980Ti until she dies and then throw in the towel for PC gaming. I'm not comfortable spending nearly a grand on a GPU. I have better things to put my money towards.

The obvious drawback is if the CUs are doing tensor work, then they can’t do anything else.

this is not a negligible drawback, but a showstopper.
RT is already an heavy duty... AMD can't do what Nvidia is doing, and that's a fact (you cannot do something you don't have the hardware to accelerate): just look at the transistor counting.

If done right, DirectML should give really good results. The best thing about it is that it will work on both AMD and Nvidia and it seems Xbox Series X just got an update for devs that enabled this feature.

Here's a demo from some time ago:

The good news about DirectML is the ability to work without a specific app optimization (in theory).
I'm very curious about that too.

3060 is a joke since the beginning.
It could be acceptable at 360€... nothing more

Back