AMD Zen 4 roadmap confirms Phoenix and powerful Dragon Range APUs

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: AMD has updated its Zen 4 roadmap to show what will be replacing its current Ryzen 6000 (Rembrandt) series of mobile chips. The very D&D-sounding Dragon Range and Phoenix APUs will be part of the Ryzen 7000 line and, like their desktop siblings, will come with PCIe 5.0 support.

AMD, which this week posted record quarterly revenue, is pushing Dragon Range's gaming laptop credentials in the slide. In addition to the Zen 4 architecture, it will also have the highest ever core/thread count and cache for a mobile gaming CPU. No specifics on exactly how many Zen 4 cores it will boast, but there have been rumors that it could reach as high as 16.

Additionally, Dragon Range will support full DDR5 memory as opposed to being limited to LPDDR5, as is the case with the Phoenix APUs. It also has a TDP of 55W and higher, but there's no confirmation of its graphics specs or what manufacturing node it uses.

While Dragon Range is designed for the beefier gaming laptops, Phoenix APUs are set to power the thin and light models—thinner than 20mm, according to AMD. These APUs have a TDP that lands in the 35W to 45W range and lack full-fat DDR5 support.

AMD's roadmap also shows that the Zen 4 Raphael Ryzen 7000 desktop chips will arrive in the second half of the year with PCIe 5.0 support and a TDP of 65W and higher. They also support DDR5, though a recent report suggests the processors might only support the latest memory modules and not offer an option to use DDR4, as Intel does with Alder Lake.

Permalink to story.

Dragon Range sounds a lot like a modified desktop Zen 4, perhaps with a different IOD.

AMD can launch all they want, but they need to get their stuff on shelves and keep them stocked. So many things people liked turned to vapor, were/are in short supply or took forever to come out like, Ryzen 6000+, 3300X, some 4000 and 5000 mobile chips, 1600AF, 5800X3D?, <$300 CPU's and GPUs. The list goes on and on.

This is why I don't get as excited as the rest when AMD announces something. Their consistency is pure trash. If RDNA3 isn't a complete beast, I think AMD should drop graphics and focus on CPU only. Maybe keep semi-custom if that's even possible and profitable. They still don't have an IGP in their mainstream desktop CPU yet! They bought ATi for this (Fusion)! So many lost sales, because they just can't get their act together. It's a mess in my opinion.

AMD can launch all they want, but they need to get their stuff on shelves and keep them stocked. So many things people liked turned to vapor, were/are in short supply or took forever to come out like, Ryzen 6000+, 3300X, some 4000 and 5000 mobile chips, 1600AF, 5800X3D?, <$300 CPU's and GPUs. The list goes on and on.

This is why I don't get as excited as the rest when AMD announces something. Their consistency is pure trash. If RDNA3 isn't a complete beast, I think AMD should drop graphics and focus on CPU only. Maybe keep semi-custom if that's even possible and profitable. They still don't have an IGP in their mainstream desktop CPU yet! They bought ATi for this (Fusion)! So many lost sales, because they just can't get their act together. It's a mess in my opinion.

yeah...
In the meantime, AMD had record revenue:
https://www.techspot.com/news/94457-amd-posts-record-59-billion-first-quarter-revenue.html
but sure, you are entitled to your opinion.

I am looking forward to doing at least one new build with AM5, and maybe two. I just hope that prices for other components keep trending downward and that I can actually get AM5 CPUs and the other components for a build at a reasonable, to me anyway, price.

yeah...
In the meantime, AMD had record revenue:
https://www.techspot.com/news/94457-amd-posts-record-59-billion-first-quarter-revenue.html
but sure, you are entitled to your opinion.
You don't think Intel has record quarters consistently???
Records are easy when you come from nothing like AMD. 52% IPC going from Bulldozer to Zen for example. Big woop. Still lost to quad cores in games. Getting 0-10% of a market is easy to do. 10%-20%+ is where you really gotta work for what you want. AMD still hovering around 20% of dGPU market they had back in 2014 for example.

They also lost half their stock price in the last year, and desktop and mobile market share has been steadily dropping for months. But yea, RECORD REVENUE!!! Just pray they don't suffer more supply issues at TSMC.

Last edited:

None the less AMD is doing better than ever, they are now the company's that is making the worlds most powerful x86 CPU's, and they are in extremely high demand, they are selling everything they can make. Their stock has been one of the best tech stocks for half a decade, even with the overall market drop in tech lately, AMD is still over 800% share price increase over 5 years, not bad!

If you wanna talk about massive fck up's and delays intel has been performing much much worse. The plethora of delays ranging from node fck ups, to delayed supercomputer contracts, saphire rapids, arc, etc etc. With that said, delays in this industry is very common and can often not be blamed on one company alone. The whole chip shortage thing is not something you can blame neither AMD or intel for really, its a whole slew of various unfortunate incidences happening in a short time frame.

You might not be impressed with AMD, none the less they are now the leader performance wise. Intel has the market share, AMD has the product and they are gaining share.

I doubt it. IO die is very bad for power consumption. There are reasons why every Ryzen mobile APU is monolithic.
These are higher power models - even current Zen 3 desktop CPU with their 12nm (or is it still 14nm) do pretty well at low power.

Add a special 6nm IO die that‘s as small as needed to a 5nm CPU and it should do pretty well. For the low power models there‘s still the monolithic die.

The root problem for AMD is the yield efficiency. They need to have bigger chips but they afraid to design big chips because they don’t have enough money reserves to withstand the danger from the yield efficiency.

So they have to set as top priority to solve that problem with the yield efficiency. This new paper proposes a promising solution to that problem https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/03/220316132653.htm but they have to think and other ways.

These are higher power models - even current Zen 3 desktop CPU with their 12nm (or is it still 14nm) do pretty well at low power.

Add a special 6nm IO die that‘s as small as needed to a 5nm CPU and it should do pretty well. For the low power models there‘s still the monolithic die.
While it may do pretty well, power issues almost always restrict mobile APU performance. Less wasted power also means more performance on same power budget. Also I doubt AMD wants to make too many different IO dies. Desktop one probably has weak GPU while laptop models need better. I except there to be just two IO dies: one for server and another for desktop.

Back