Anti-piracy coalition helped dismantle Evo piracy group

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
In brief: Also known as EVOLUTiON, EVO was a prominent release group in the P2P piracy scene. The "crew" stopped releasing new content at the end of 2022, and the reason has now become clear: Portuguese authorities have arrested the group "leaders."

Working with Portuguese authorities in an investigation that is still ongoing, the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE) has seemingly brought the leaders of EVOLUTiON to justice. The group known as "EVO" was one of the most active "releasers" within the P2P scene, and it was likely targeted by the movie industry for its remarkable ability to leak "screeners" and original Blu-ray copies to internet pirates worldwide.

As revealed by TorrentFreak, EVO stopped providing new content at the end of the past year. Until November 2022, the group was uploading a dozen new titles every week. EVO is (or likely was) a high-profile crew active in the P2P market, which is the "lesser" provider of pirated contents within the articulate piracy business.

The main driver for the aforementioned piracy business is the "Scene," TorrentFreak explains, which is a bunch of secretive groups working to release their exclusive content on highly performing topsites to impress and compete against each other. The so-called "P2P groups" work below the Scene, providing some of the Scene contents to the general public while trying to stay safe from law enforcement agencies and anti-piracy groups.

Before being essentially dismantled, EVO was a king among P2P releasers. The group's track record includes the release of an early Blu-Ray copy of "Spider-Man: No Way Home" in 2022, and a high-quality copy of "Dune" remake in 2021 ahead of its official premiere. EVO was likely considered a major threat to Hollywood's interests, and anti-piracy agencies were working hard to put an end to the group's funny business.

According to ACE boss Jan van Voorn, the anti-piracy coalition worked with Portuguese authorities to identify the leaders of EVO. Voorn confirmed that "several arrests have been made" against what was likely a Portugal-based piracy group, even though he can't confirm any further details about the ongoing operation.

Voorn remarked how EVO was "one of the most prolific release groups out there," and that arresting its leaders put a very noticeable end to screener leaks within the P2P and Torrent scene for the past few months. Other prominent P2P groups like iFT went silent when EVO stopped its activities in November, though ACE couldn't confirm if iFT was linked to EVO's investigation or they just got scared and decided to avoid public exposure for a while.

Permalink to story.

They arrested people who were pirating movies (making the poor movie producing multi-billionaires losing money), right? But after years of operation, they still can't catch the group which is extorting money from the poor, by sending them the "FBI" virus?

Because I guess the "FBI" virus may actually be collecting money for the real FBI (or whichever government organization) while those Portugese pirates were actually independent. So, if youre an "indie pirate" you'll get caught, but if you work for shady organizations, then no problems, you can freely extort money from the poor till the end of time.

I'm really glad they addressing piracy issues, this should not have a place.
But, if they are on it already, they should as well ensure the content is available everywhere in market - adjusted prices, so people can enjoy it without a need for piracy and without stretching their budget. Otherwise it is clear abuse of power.

Ah, and I hope the sentence for those guys will be based on what they actually earned. So any donations, ad revenue, patreon and so on, not on random number 'there is x minutes of movies downloaded so we lost y billiards monies' crap.

I'm really glad they addressing piracy issues, this should not have a place.
But, if they are on it already, they should as well ensure the content is available everywhere in market - adjusted prices, so people can enjoy it without a need for piracy and without stretching their budget. Otherwise it is clear abuse of power.

Ah, and I hope the sentence for those guys will be based on what they actually earned. So any donations, ad revenue, patreon and so on, not on random number 'there is x minutes of movies downloaded so we lost y billiards monies' crap.

Do people make money from torrent sites or piracy?
Server cost support funds maybe for their websites, but lets say thats not actually piracy, thats just a website.
Q: Did Hollywood lose any money?
A: From the piracy, probably not.
- From spending a fortune on Ambulance chasing lawers.... probably a lot yes.

See, Netflix, Amazon, and other streaming sites charge, and we pay.
Some people wait, some people slyly watch from a torrent or something like popcorn.
These people were never going to pay to see it, unless on their favorite streaming platform like Netflix.
So the argument is so Chicken and the egg.

Honestly, this is one of the biggest waste of resources and money ever. Make your crappy remake Hollywood, and stfu.

Dopey studios arent losing any money.

the average person isn't savvy enough to pirate a flick, the word piracy itself is enough of a deterrent.

if I pirated the movie I wasnt planning on going to see it/buy it/rent it anyway...I can snatch it, you were never getting my money.

lastly, alot of the "pirates" probably make the studios money, if it was a decent movie it'll get recommended to friends n such, and those normies will go buy a ticket/buy it or rent it, youre welcome hollywood.

Do people make money from torrent sites or piracy?
Server cost support funds maybe for their websites, but lets say thats not actually piracy, thats just a website.
Q: Did Hollywood lose any money?
A: From the piracy, probably not.
- From spending a fortune on Ambulance chasing lawers.... probably a lot yes.

See, Netflix, Amazon, and other streaming sites charge, and we pay.
Some people wait, some people slyly watch from a torrent or something like popcorn.
These people were never going to pay to see it, unless on their favorite streaming platform like Netflix.
So the argument is so Chicken and the egg.

Honestly, this is one of the biggest waste of resources and money ever. Make your crappy remake Hollywood, and stfu.
Yes, piracy is huge business and generates a lot of money. There are piracy vod services where you pay monthly subscription. Income is often crazy, just don't know if this fits were deep in vod.

Now, we have number of vod and people pay for all of them. And that's could be fine, but... Living in ireland I have no access to many series or movies in there. Even if id like to pay I simply can't get the access. If I really wanted to watch one of those titles, my options are either piracy or proxies - both illegal. And that's the problem: some people are left without access to popular media. That is not fine at all.
And that is one of reasons people paying for pirated vod - there is often no other way to access some media, and having then all in one place available on demand is huge stuff

Yes, piracy is huge business and generates a lot of money. There are piracy vod services where you pay monthly subscription. Income is often crazy, just don't know if this fits were deep in vod.

Now, we have number of vod and people pay for all of them. And that's could be fine, but... Living in ireland I have no access to many series or movies in there. Even if id like to pay I simply can't get the access. If I really wanted to watch one of those titles, my options are either piracy or proxies - both illegal. And that's the problem: some people are left without access to popular media. That is not fine at all.
And that is one of reasons people paying for pirated vod - there is often no other way to access some media, and having then all in one place available on demand is huge stuff
I don't believe you.
I just don't believe that because you and some Irish peoples don't pay for a few films that its a travesty for Hollywood.
And how do you not have access to Netflix or Amazon, or any other legal means to watch? If you have a PC or phone to connect here, you have access to legal means.
You also have access to other sites.
Which means if you are paying for a VoD service, you must be Irish....
See what I did there?

Criminals should not be able to benefit in this day and age, no more Chinese fellas in the pub selling dvds of screeners, or some other shonky copy.
I feel like you are saying people need educating that there are ways.

I don't believe you.
I just don't believe that because you and some Irish peoples don't pay for a few films that its a travesty for Hollywood.
And how do you not have access to Netflix or Amazon, or any other legal means to watch? If you have a PC or phone to connect here, you have access to legal means.
You also have access to other sites.
Which means if you are paying for a VoD service, you must be Irish....
See what I did there?

Criminals should not be able to benefit in this day and age, no more Chinese fellas in the pub selling dvds of screeners, or some other shonky copy.
I feel like you are saying people need educating that there are ways.
Tell me you dont know about per country licensing without telling me you know about per country licensing. Have you traveled anywhere outside the US.

At last, those rebel scum are behind bars, where they belong. Why, I used to lay awake at night, thinking of the danger, just KNOWING that someone, somewhere, SOMEHOW, was getting to watch a movie for free. Not only that, but in HIGH-DEFINITION!! Nooo! My ulcer!
But then, Jan Van Voorn was put on the case. Jan Van Voorn would stop them. Yes, with a name sounding like some comic-book villain (Villain? Nay, a RULER!) - Van Voorn could be counted on to protect us all from the deadly threat of unpaid-for entertainment. And indeed he has, with nary a Voornbot required. I can now sleep soundly, and we can all rest easy, knowing that Van Voorn is ever-vigilant, protecting us all. Especially the profits of his corporate masters.

Back