Apparantly Microsoft "Needs My Help"

Status
Not open for further replies.

theH

Catchy title? I'll get to it. Its at the end of my autobiography below.

Recently, while playing Oblivion my pc has been displaying the blue-screen-of-death. Sadly, there is nothing written on the blue-screen-of-death. Its only an empty blue screen. It just turns blue after about 40 minutes of playing and I just restart my pc. It didn't always used to be like this though.

I used to play Oblivion a lot. 3-4 hours at a time. Until one day, after a couple of hours of playing, I got the BSoD. The first thing that came to mind were those hundreds of ffdshow audio icons that appear in the system tray when exiting Oblivion (if you've played oblivion and watched movies on the same pc you know what I'm talking about). So, following the advice of a FAQ on the offical Oblivion site, I configured ffdshow not to open with Oblivion.

Then it truly began. Everytime I would play Oblivion for more than half an hour, the audio would start messing up and then eventually I would get the BSoD. The first thing I did was re-install the audio drivers, graphics card drivers, and even ffdshow. No help.

I had already purchased a new 450 Watt PSU (for soon-to-come upgrades I hope) to replace my 350 Watt one. So I put that in (its in now), and: no help.

Upon restarting my computer after one of those BSoDs, Windows informed me (as it usually does afterwards) that it has recovered from a serious error. This time, I decided to submit the error report. Internet explorer opened and took me to a webpage informing me the Microsoft was aware of this error and they needed more people to give them full memory dumps to help them analyze it. However, they needed the full dumps and I only had minidumps so I couldn't help them out, at least until I reproduce the error and get a full dump.

Anyway, you now know the story of my life so can you help me out? I don't think my problem is on the top of Microsofts to-do list. You may wonder why I haven't posted this in some sort of Oblivion forum and I'll tell you 1) I got the BSoD _once_ while playing FEAR. I was playing many games to test out the new 450Watt PSU and I played Doom 3, Half-Life 2, FEAR, Quake 4, and the Chronicles of Riddick all day long. I got the BSoD when exiting FEAR. I haven't been able to reproduce the BSoD for FEAR since. For this reason I don't think this is strictly an Oblivion problem; and 2) this place is the most helpfull among the many forums I have seen (the Oblivion forum is full of annoyed and annoying people).

Here is the error I get upon restarting (if anyone can decipher it)

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : 00000054 BCP2 : 0000001C BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : 80501FF4 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

And here are my specs:
- Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
- 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
- 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
- 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
- Sound Blaster Audigy™2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394
- FSP PSU | AX450-PN 450W RT

Your problem IS with ffdshow.

ffdshow is much more than just a simple movie viewer... it also replaces several windows media format CODEC's with it's own versions of these.

Most games use several Win XP CODEC's, which in your case, have now been overwritten by beta, open source, untested or unsupported CODEC's. Oblivion, for example, uses the Windows CODEC For MPG2 video streams. Users of both ffdshow, DVD X-Copy Platinum and dozens of other 3rd party packages have been experiencing this problem as these packages replace the supported, tested Win XP CODEC's with their own.

My best advice to you would be to try removing all unneccessary 3rd party applications that have replace XP CODEC's, or try various 3rd party CODEC downloads with your fingers crossed one will yield the same compatibility as the stock Windows XP versions.

When uninstalling ffdshow, I get some sound glitching and "squeaking" while playing the game. I will test it out for a longer time to see if I get the BSoD again though.

Can a CODEC problem really cause a BSoD? I thought those were reserved for major unrecoverable hardware problems....

Well I've tried it for a while and.... now I'm just getting all sorts of funky errors. I've been trying to tax out my computer with other games and playing them for a long time and keeping the computer on for two days straight but nothing happens so I don't think anything is overheating... Oh well, I'll just wait for that patch they promised about a month ago...

Thanks anyway.

Do a file find/search on your entire system for the file:
mpeg2dmx.ax

If you find one, rename it to mpeg2.dmx.ax.old. There are various other CODEC's out there that can cause issues with Oblivion. I'd also say try using Creative's auto live-updater to see if there are any other drivers available for your Audigy2.

zip up 5-6 of your minidumps and post here.. someone will read them for you and tell you whats wrong.

go through some troubleshooting steps:
Recent changes- environment, software, hardware etc..
Hardware- temperatures, age, damage, dust
Maintainance- WinUpdates, Drivers update, chkdisk, defrag, scan ad/spy/malware and viruii, dust
Software- unnecesities, old and unused, crap/bloatware

Sharkfood:
- I could not find a file named "mpeg2dmx.ax".
- I have the latest drivers from Creative for the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (02.08.0004, released Jan. 24, 2006). I haven't actually experienced any sound problems in any other application (except a little in the old Half-Life 1).

N3501m:
- I've zipped and posted my minidumps with this attachment.
- As for changes in hardware, I did install a new power supply but its more powerful than my previous and I did in _after_ experiencing problems with oblivion.
- Other than the power supply, my PC is just as I got it from Dell about 7 months ago.
- I have an ATI X600, it doesn't have the capability for monitoring temperature.
- I updated windows, the graphics drivers, the sound drivers, removed and then later reinstalled K-Lite Codec Pack, defragmented with Perfect Disk 7.0, ran AdAware, and installed, updated and ran norton antivirus and then promptly removed it.

- On the SoundBlaster website, it says to keep the sound card as far away as possible from the hard-disks and graphics cards. Because of the design of my case I have a modem PCI card about an inch away, the graphics card about 6 inches away, and the SATA harddrive about 6 inches away as well. Do you think this could be a problem?

A rather crafty user has finally made a utility, specifically for Oblivion users, that will reset any crappy, aftermarket, unsupported codec's back to the original one's that Windows comes pre-installed with.

The utility can be found at:
http://nightmare2013.brashendeavors.net/directshowfiltersreset.v3.zip

The page of this user can be found at:
http://nightmare2013.brashendeavors.net/

EDIT- I had a look at your crash dumps.. both could very well be indicative of a CODEC problem. Both are driver failure/dumps, one definately in USB Audio device.. and the other a few kernel calls past the same driver.

Bad codec's have very commonly caused these kinds of failures. I'd try the link above with hopes it'll clear all the incompatible codecs you may have as well as be more compatible with your sound device.

I will install it and run it later today (when I get home). I'll also try not using USB headphones and use normal ones.

I played Oblivion today for about 4 hours without any problem. I just replaced the USB headphones with normal ones.

If anyone reading is interested Oblivion may have a problem with the USB Headphone drivers I was using:

C-Media CMl108 Version 5.12.01.0040.7 (39e).

Thanks Sharkfood for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back