Apple big App Store changes: third-party stores and cloud gaming now allowed, also full-blown...

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: Apple has finally yielded to European regulatory pressure and will begin opening its walled garden. Although the Cupertino giant's most significant app policy changes apply only to EU countries, other shifts concerning cloud gaming and in-app purchases are taking effect worldwide.

Apple has announced significant changes to its iOS app distribution, payment, and web browsing policies. Developers can now submit cloud gaming apps and offer a broader range of in-app downloads. Starting in March, European iPhone users can install third-party app stores and web browsers won't be forced to use Safari's WebKit engine.

The iOS operator is complying with the European Union's new Digital Markets Act, which requires key platform holders to maintain a certain degree of openness and interoperability in their products. Apple had previously expanded payment processing options in some European countries, but the new changes could fundamentally alter how users interact with Apple devices.

Apple's wording makes it clear that the company still considers sideloading unsafe and believes it should be the sole judge of security on iOS. As Apple is only begrudgingly enabling sideloading due to new regulations, users likely won't gain access to the feature globally until lawmakers in the United States and other regions enact similar legislation.

Alternate app stores can be downloaded from developer websites and aren't subject to Apple's content restrictions, but must still pass the company's certification process to ensure basic functionality, security, and privacy. Moreover, Apple has reduced, but not eliminated, its commission fee for software from third-party distributors.

Epic Games wasted no time announcing the return of the iOS-native version of Fortnite through an independent launcher. However, CEO Tim Sweeney blasted the Cupertino giant's new rules, claiming they give Apple excessive power over which distribution platforms succeed. Installing and using a third-party launcher requires the user's consent, and users can stop alternate stores from downloading or updating software at any time.

Web browsers won't be forced to use Apple's WebKit anymore, but they will require similar permissions. This change likely means that numerous Chromium browsers will soon appear on iOS in Europe, and Firefox on iPhones will gain more of its desktop functionality. More powerful browsers could reduce users' reliance on apps.

Meanwhile, developers worldwide can now submit iOS apps that can stream entire catalogs of games. Services like Xbox Cloud Gaming, GeForce Now, and PlayStation Plus no longer need Safari to stream games to subscribers on iOS. Furthermore, apps can now include mini-apps, mini-games, chatbots, and plugins as in-app purchases.

Permalink to story.

All good steps forward (especially the incredibly stupid webkit restriction), but a long way to go still.

Sounds like Apple might even be it's own worst enemy here as they maliciously comply (and more broader rules have to be made to counter it).

I love Apple products, but there are some nonsenses... One of them is the webkite engine and Apple decision to block other browsers engines on iOS.

All good steps forward (especially the incredibly stupid webkit restriction), but a long way to go still.

Sounds like Apple might even be it's own worst enemy here as they maliciously comply (and more broader rules have to be made to counter it).

The reason I use Apple phones is mainly due to security, I know that every app has to have its code checked and validated as fitting specifications before an App is allowed to go on to the store. Side loading and other stores wont be happening on my devices as I work in the financial security sector. And yet you think that the loss of that security is a good thing, can you explain why please? And having Webkit is a massive bonus to security and tracking, so again I'm a little bit confused to why that's also a bad thing to have as default.

The reason I use Apple phones is mainly due to security, I know that every app has to have its code checked and validated as fitting specifications before an App is allowed to go on to the store. Side loading and other stores wont be happening on my devices as I work in the financial security sector. And yet you think that the loss of that security is a good thing, can you explain why please? And having Webkit is a massive bonus to security and tracking, so again I'm a little bit confused to why that's also a bad thing to have as default.
If you're that paranoid about losing the illusion of "security", don't use sideloading, and don't use anything other than Safari. You people need to stop pretending that other people shouldn't have freedoms to use their purchased device however they want just because you don't want it.

And besides, Apple's securities aren't perfect, and are 100% motivated by profit (as in, they don't have your best interests at heart). So lets not pretend that something can't happen either way. Desktop OS's have survived just fine without a walled garden...

Funny, I work in software security and there is absolutely nothing wrong in having sideloading, multiple stores and so on to how secure your device are.
And webkit... massive bonus to security?:) https://www.darkreading.com/cyberattacks-data-breaches/apple-zero-day-actively-exploited-iphone-15
Years of actively exploited vulnerabilities?: https://www.news18.com/tech/major-i...ted-for-years-heres-what-we-know-8722158.html
so... yeah.

If I desire to use an app that Apple decides is verboten for whatever reason, I now have the capability to do so, as I should when buying a $1000+ device. Others have already pointed out proper extensions for firefox will now be possible. You can also load a PROPER full system adblocker, none of that pansy safari stuff (and a proper adblocker is crucial for internet security in 2024). You are not losing security by installing trusted software, see every desktop ever! There have been several instances of malware making it past apple's checks before.

Webkit is also not a panacea. It does just as much spying as chrome or firefox engines, and it's security is no better. Being on a locked down platform with little outside input does not make something secure. FFS safari doesnt even have site settings controls in browser, something that has existed on android, windows, ece since forever.

Let me ask you this, as this store is entirely optional, and you dont have to use it, why do you care if other people can sideload software? It doesnt affect you or your security at all. So, why shouldnt people have the option?

Should be MY phone, I'll use it how I want to, but, in today's world of software, everything is becoming a walled garden.

Being able to use an adblocker and other similar tools on my iPad will mean I might actually browse the net on it. As it stands, its a pretty terrible browser compared to a proper laptop or PC. I swear the net is almost unusable without adblockers.

Download Microsoft Edge on your iPad today and enjoy the installed extension AdBlock with it. It allows some ads by default, so if you don't want ads on YouTube go to Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Block Ads -> Allow Acceptable Ads -> OFF

The check of the security is a mytth. Apple check functionality and designs before publishing. Nobody is giving Apple the source which value is counts hundreds of thousands dollars.

And I'm not sure about design and functionality check, because there are so many full of ads games on the App store.

Back