Apple board of directors reportedly concerned with pace of innovation

Shawn Knight

Staff member

report apple board concerned pace innovation apple tim cook board

Apple’s board of directors is reportedly concerned with the pace at which Apple is innovating following the death of co-founder Steve Jobs. The group recently met with CEO Tim Cook to discuss the fact that Cupertino hasn’t released a game-changing product since the iPad in early 2010 according to Fox Business’ Charlie Gasparino.

Cook has repeatedly said that Apple has plenty of new and innovative products in the works but aside from the iPad mini, we’ve yet to see the alleged fruits of their labor. At least a few of those products are scheduled to appear in the second half of this year, likely as the iPhone 5S and a cheaper, plastic version dubbed the iPhone 5C.

Are a few new iPhones enough to keep the board happy for another year or will it take an entirely new product like the rumored iWatch or the mythical iTV that Steve Jobs once described to get things moving in the right directly? Only time will tell.

The Fox correspondent said the concern is manifesting into pressure for Cook to innovate, and to do something fast. Furthermore, Gasparino said every time he hears that a board is concerned, it’s always the starting point for asking if the current CEO is the right guy for the job.

It’s worth mentioning that Cook’s job isn’t at risk but there is some serious concern according to Gasparino’s unnamed sources. Either way, the ball appears to be in Tim Cook’s court. What will he do with it next?

Permalink to story.

Only advice I will give Apple is don't rush into inventing something that is majorly flawed and sending it to market anyway. Then you would've pushed out a product that either will crash and burn or the people aren't quite ready for it.

Has apple done anything innovative since they put out the ipad? I can't think of anything.

Yahoo had a story about this titled "Apple's Ultimate Sin: It's Boring"

The board needs to get their heads out of the clouds. Apple hasn't any game-changing products since 2010?! Most companies would be happy with one huge product ever! The iPhone was a once-in-a-lifetime innovation and it shot them up to the most valuable company in the world. They only possible place Apple could have gone was down a little.

I bet someone is gonna come up with a cheap and easy way to create holograms and Apple will pay them millions for it and market it as "an innovation".

to discuss the fact that Cupertino hasn?t released a game-changing product since the iPad in early 2010
And how about the new Mac Pro? It's official launch is in September, but everyone already knows the look and feel of that trash can, and it is a good one at that.

And how about the new Mac Pro? It's official lunch is in September, but everyone already knows the look and feel of that trash can, and it is a good one at that.

It is interesting how they fit it into that small factor. There arent any dual Xeon motherboards on the market now in a mini-iTX form factor.

I wish Apple would innovate a new naming convention for their products... Putting an "I" in front of everything has been old, and boring for years. How about actually using different types of... wait for it... apples in their product line up?

They already had iHats on "Meet the Robinson's" , they did not work so good. the iHats tried to take over the world.

I was really bummed when they chose Retina display, whicg has little to do with retina's.

They could have chosen the Apple Crisp display instead. Sounds so much better.

People expect too much out of Apple... IMO the iPhone is the latest "big innovation" they made, the iPad was just a natural evolution of it. Truth is, Apple is just like Microsoft or Google, it's not infallible, it's not some magical company that can keep producing hits without fail.

I wish Apple would innovate a new naming convention for their products... Putting an "I" in front of everything has been old, and boring for years. How about actually using different types of... wait for it... apples in their product line up?
HAHA LMAO

That would be a game change! They would negotiate and settle for aForbiddenFruit, just to piss off Russian Orthodox Christians. lol

Perhaps other companies could use that so-called trash can to dump their so-called innovations.

iSocks. When combined with the iHat it offers portability and comfort. Make it out of a fabric that can build an electric charge while walking and charge the iHat wirelessly. Cash in the bank.

Or iPants. Rub your groin to wirelessly charge your iHat Or rub your groin onto something else. Works well on packed subway trains.

Back