Apple engineer fired over daughter's iPhone X YouTube video

midian182

Staff member

Despite the controversy over Face ID and the handset’s high price, a lot of people can’t wait to get hold of an iPhone X. Which is why last week's YouTube video showing off the device went viral. The vlogger responsible, Brooke Amelia Peterson, was able to get the hands-on footage because her father was an engineer at the company—but not anymore. Apple has been forced to fire him over the incident.

In the video, Peterson visits her father at the Caffè Macs restaurant on Apple's campus, where she films herself briefly using his iPhone X. Not surprisingly, the clip brought her channel a lot of attention, but it was soon removed at Apple’s request. Being the internet, it had already spread (you can see a copy here).

In a new video posted to her channel on Saturday, Peterson explains that Apple was forced to fire her father over the iPhone X clip. While the offending item lasted less than a minute and didn’t seem like something that would warrant a dismissal, Apple has a strict no filming rule on its premises. The fact she was also documenting an unreleased product likely played a part in the decision.

Another issue for Apple is that at one point the video shows a Notes app running on the iPhone X. That might not sound too bad, but it appears to be filled with codenames for unreleased Apple products. The device also contained employee QR codes and internal software.

Peterson said her father took full responsibility for the incident, and that Apple’s rules are in place for the happiness and safety of workers. She added that her family holds no grudges against the company.

"At the end of the day, when you work for Apple, it doesn't matter how good of a person you are, if you break a rule they just have no tolerance," she said.

According to the Verge, Peterson senior had worked at Apple for four years, building the iPhone RF and wireless circuit design.

Permalink to story.

....but poor daddy willing handed over his iPhone X while his daughter was in the midst of recording for her vlog. ALL while on the Apple Campus at that. He's more to blame than the daughter..
completely agree. Imagine I work at a 'sensitive' workplace with my security clearance. On a Tour day I bring my daughter. Looking over, I notice she has her phone out and is taping and videoing all kinds of stuff. Either I or another employee is going to confiscate that phone and remove the offending data. If I handed over the goods to her that she is filming, then I am the guilty party. This is pretty much the case here, she didn't conceal her video effort and he gave her a phone with confidential data. Black and white case IMHO, he gets fired

I absolutely hate zero-tolerance policies toward those that had little to no intent. Everyone should have the opportunity to prevent mistakes from happening again. Apple basically made yet another example of how they care for no one.

You think Apple cares for you as a consumer, when they treat their personnel this way? Think again if you do.

I absolutely hate zero-tolerance policies toward those that had little to no intent. Everyone should have the opportunity to prevent mistakes from happening again. Apple basically made yet another example of how they care for no one.

You think Apple cares for you as a consumer, when they treat their personnel this way? Think again if you do.
I don't like Apple, but I completely disagree. Let one person walk all over the rules, and others will follow.

@m4a4 I didn't say forget it happened. There are ways of dealing without job termination.

God our society is so twisted. People can be so black and white when they should have shades of grey. And then they use that to present shades of grey, where they should be black and white.

This is not a case where someone was hiding their identity, because they knew they were doing wrong. This family is being persecuted for being just that, a family.

Every time Apple gives me a reason to like them, they give me two reasons to hate them.

It's the price the father had to pay for increasing trends of fame seekers in social media. All these new generation users care about is how many likes they get, and to see how many comment with oooh-aaaaah.....

No matter how harsh it may sound, what the girl did was completely against the company rules. The daughter's greed for social media fame, eclipsed the love the father had in showing his daughter the first hands-on experience of the device.

I'm never a fan of Apple, but too many beans have been spilled because of her. Apple has the right to protect it's development of it's devices.

Last edited:
@m4a4 I didn't say forget it happened. There are ways of dealing without job termination.

God our society is so twisted. People can be so black and white when they should have shades of grey. And then they use that to present shades of grey, where they should be black and white.

This is not a case where someone was hiding their identity, because they knew they were doing wrong. This family is being persecuted for being just that, a family.

Every time Apple gives me a reason to like them, they give me two reasons to hate them.
If she secretly recorded the video, then I could agree with you. But he handed his daughter the phone knowing full well that she was recording AND was recording for her vlog.

The NDA he broke would be black and white in this situation. And thus, him being fired is 100% expected, no blame for Apple.

Billions of dollars at stake winning the smartphone market. There's a line you can't cross for some things. It's not like he took 5 min more on his toilet break. It's not like they didn't have a freaking campus wide ban to make it obvious it's a no-go zone. You've got to not screw some things up - it's expected you put on your big boy pants and just don't break the rule.

A lot of people have really bad discipline and can't understand why they can't poke the bear or jump in the lion enclosure.

Apple said "You are going to cost us a tremendous amount by doing this. So we're making it a terminal offence." Pretty simple.

Did you know you'll probably get fired for pissing on your boss at his desk? Well it might surprise you. They didn't even write that one down! You even would get fired for pissing on him when he's not at his desk. Crazy right? Again not written down. And you think the written rules are bad...

Don't mind me I'm just taking the piss...

Billions of dollars at stake winning the smartphone market. There's a line you can't cross for some things. It's not like he took 5 min more on his toilet break. It's not like they didn't have a freaking campus wide ban to make it obvious it's a no-go zone. You've got to not screw some things up - it's expected you put on your big boy pants and just don't break the rule.

A lot of people have really bad discipline and can't understand why they can't poke the bear or jump in the lion enclosure.

Apple said "You are going to cost us a tremendous amount by doing this. So we're making it a terminal offence." Pretty simple.

Did you know you'll probably get fired for pissing on your boss at his desk? Well it might surprise you. They didn't even write that one down! You even would get fired for pissing on him when he's not at his desk. Crazy right? Again not written down. And you think the written rules are bad...

Don't mind me I'm just taking the piss...

Well said. We don't need to pamper the daddy. Apple or not, its all about rules and etiquette. For example, If you're late and your boss is cool about it then 90% you will not take punctuality very seriously. I know, Ive done it and my boss is really cool about it. :p

You're kidding right?

Walk into any corporate or office environment with your kid vlogging about unreleased company products/information on display. See how fast you're terminated.

You know, any smarting Marketing Rep would call this "advanced release to build interest and excitement". I am guessing that this engineer was not considered a KEY individual and they were making an example of him to the rest of their employee's. Apple does require all employee's to sign non-release / confidential statements as a part of their employment so they have done nothing legally wrong ..... unless you consider putting a man out on the street that has a wife and kid(s) to support ......

Back