Apple is selling separate Mac Pro wheel kits for $700

Polycount

Staff
In context: Apple has been known to make expensive products, but typically, the cost can be justified due to the excellent software and (usually) high-quality materials packed into the devices the company ships. However, even Apple faithfuls were shocked when the company unveiled its $1,000 Pro Display XDR monitor stand.

If you thought that somewhat outlandishly-priced stand was a one-off thing for Apple, think again. Apple has begun to sell a $700 "Wheels Kit" for its powerful Mac Pro device, in addition to a cheaper $300 "Feet Kit." As you might expect, the kits are designed to fit underneath your Mac Pro, with one offering greater mobility while the other grants stability

You could already configure your Mac Pro with either of these options, but now, they're being sold separately if you need a bit more versatility.

The wheels and the feet are all stainless steel, and both kits ship with four of their respective attachments -- four wheels, four feet. They don't appear to be particularly complex to install, but Apple does say you'll need "additional tools" to attach them, so make sure you have a screwdriver handy.

Obviously, there will likely be some understandable debate surrounding the pricing for these two kits. Sure, they look fancy, with the same chrome finish that the Mac Pro itself has in some areas, but is that really worth the $300 or $700 price of admission?

That's for each individual customer to decide, but in our opinion, the value proposition is shaky at best. With that said, if you've already paid thousands of dollars for your own Mac Pro, perhaps a few hundred extra dollars won't mean much to you. If that's the case, you can find the product page for the Mac Pro Wheels Kit right here. The Mac Pro Feet Kit can be purchased here.

Permalink to story.

'Apple does say you'll need "additional tools" to attach them'

Presumably they will sell you the official Apple branded phillips head screwdriver for $500

*Returns Mac to apple service centre for repair*

Sorry, this machine had its wheels attached with a non Apple certified screwdriver. Warranty void.

If you don't want to pay their prices...then don't buy them.

The reality is, anyone spending "apple money" on a computer like this will either not be bothered, not notice or not care about the cost of the wheels.

The monitor stand alone was $999. That should have been your first clue that Apple was in this to make a no holds barred attack on your wallet.

Just ditch final cut pro and use windows based video editing software.
Only people coding mac and ios apps really needs mac which cheapest mac mini is very sufficient

Suckers will buy anything just because of the name.

There are rich people who spend wisely.

Have you heard of the two equally rich travellers flying? - One took the first class and another took the economy class, and after reaching the destination, which they departed and arrived together at the same time, left the one who took the first class poorer by the very temporary, minor, "luxury" difference? The one bought the economy class invested the difference and improved.

And there are rich I-diots who spend just because they can spend, and these are the suckers who loose dearly at the end.

And Apple is enjoying thanks to these suckers who spend mindlessly.

'Apple does say you'll need "additional tools" to attach them'

Presumably they will sell you the official Apple branded phillips head screwdriver for $500

*Returns Mac to apple service centre for repair*

Sorry, this machine had its wheels attached with a non Apple certified screwdriver. Warranty void.

Let's not forget the Apple branded screws themselves, that Apple might sell, if given the opportunity.

I know everyone's seen it, but I just can't help but think about the old "Does more, costs less" motto whenever I see an article like this. :(

domorecostless.jpg

Apple are very smart. They stick obscene prices on certain niche products that they don’t expect to actually sell in and kind of meaningful volume.

However, Every journalist out there writes a story about how expensive these parts are. It’s free marketing worth literally billions. Techspot Had this article on the front of their page with Apple in the headline. I wonder how much sponsors pay for advertising in the same space?

It’s not the first time either, a monitor stand for $999. And there was that book, wasn’t it $300 or something? News outlets were furiously pumping out articles about these rather boring products simply because of the price tag.

Either way, there’s a reason Apple are the richest company on the planet. They know exactly what they are doing.

Suckers will buy anything just because of the name.

There are rich people who spend wisely.

Have you heard of the two equally rich travellers flying? - One took the first class and another took the economy class, and after reaching the destination, which they departed and arrived together at the same time, left the one who took the first class poorer by the very temporary, minor, "luxury" difference? The one bought the economy class invested the difference and improved.

And there are rich I-diots who spend just because they can spend, and these are the suckers who loose dearly at the end.

And Apple is enjoying thanks to these suckers who spend mindlessly.
You forgot actually low or middle income people just faking it with apple on loan.

You forgot actually low or middle income people just faking it with apple on loan.
What is the interest rate on an Apple credit card these days? 30% maybe?

Perhaps I'n being too hard on Apple. Samsung's financing is (allegedly), "interest free". The only hitch is, if you miss paying off your purchase in full by the end of the finance period, the interest rate jumps to 29.99%and it's retroactive for the full amount of the purchase. So, "miss by a penny, and get billed for the whole pound".

Last edited:
I should buy those $700 wheels, mount them on my $500 PC, sit on it and drive it around apple store. Or straight to lunatic asylum to join all the others that actually shell out 700 frikkin' bucks on a pair of wheels for a frikkin' computer.

Good to see in these times of austerity and hardship for everyone Apple raising it's hand to help out with a set of $1000 chrome wheels. God bless them all!

Good to see in these times of austerity and hardship for everyone Apple raising it's hand to help out with a set of $1000 chrome wheels. God bless them all!
In all fairness to them, they have just released a new phone for $399. And whilst it’s small and has bezels, it runs rings round a Samsung Galaxy S20 ultra in terms of performance and that costs 3x as much.

Of course this product is designed to get a reaction. I doubt they will sell many.

In all fairness to them, they have just released a new phone for $399. And whilst it’s small and has bezels,...[ ]...
Here I thought bezels were damned near "the end of the world", to true aficionados of the smart phone. :confused:

I can just imagine the scorn and ostracism that would occur if you pulled out a phone with a bezel, among a crowd of your contemporaries sporting iPhone 10s

Here I thought bezels were damned near "the end of the world", to true aficionados of the smart phone. :confused:

I can just imagine the scorn and ostracism that would occur if you pulled out a phone with a bezel, among a crowd of your contemporaries sporting iPhone 10s
An iPhone 10S!? That’s so last year mate!

An iPhone 10S!? That’s so last year mate!
My bad! I don't even own a smart phone, beings as I'm a solitary old fart, so how could I possibly know what "the latest, greatest, iPhone", is called?

Funny story, I bought a bargain basement Android tablet. I fired it up, and when I found out I couldn't even load and show photos on it without Google's help, I threw it away.

I mean really, when you need a specific "app", to order coffee from Dunkin' Donuts, what's the point of having one.

If M$ wanted me to have the ability to buy coffee, I'm sure they'd roll it out as, "an exiting new feature", in Windows 10. (Which BTW, I don't have either).

Last edited:
Back