Apple unveils its first iPhones worthy of the "Pro" moniker

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple’s latest iPhones are powered by the new A13 Bionic SoC built on a second-generation 7nm manufacturing process. The CPU features 8.5 billion transistors and packs in four efficiency cores that are 20 percent faster and use 40 percent less power than before alongside two performance cores that are 20 percent faster and use 30 percent less power. The CPU, GPU and neural engine are all optimized for machine learning, Apple said.

Apple during a press gathering at the Steve Jobs Theater on Tuesday announced a swarm of new products including two high-end iPhones.

The iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max feature 5.8-inch (2,436 x 1,125 resolution) and 6.4-inch (2,688 x 1,242 resolution) Super Retina XDR OLED displays, respectively – both with 458 pixels per inch. Apple said the screens afford a 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio, HDR and more, yet are 15 percent more energy efficient than before. It’s the brightest display ever in an iPhone at 1,200 nits of peak brightness.

They’re manufactured out of surgical grade stainless steel with a matte textured finish in four colors – midnight green, space grey, silver and gold – and are backed by an IP68 rating.

Arguably the biggest addition to the iPhone 11 Pro series is the rear-facing triple camera array. This square camera hump packs in a 12-megapixel wide-angle camera (26mm, f/1.8) with optical image stabilization, a 12-megapixel telephoto camera (52mm, f/2.0) with OIS and focus pixels and a 12-megapixel ultra-wide camera (13mm, f/2.4) with a 120-degree field of view. Across the range of cameras, you effectively get 4x optical zoom.

Each of the rear cameras can also shoot 4K 60 FPS video with extended dynamic range and video stabilization. The audio zoom feature is said to match the audio to the video framing for more dynamic sound.

Apple also briefly touched on a new camera feature called Deep Fusion that takes the best pixels from nine images and fuses them together into a single photo. It is due out later this fall via software update, we’re told.

As for battery life, the new iPhone 11 Pro delivers up to four hours more battery life than the iPhone Xs while the iPhone 11 Pro Max can run for up to five hours longer than the iPhone Xs Max.

Other noteworthy features include support for Dolby Atmos, Gigabit-class LTE at speeds up to 1.6Gbps and Wi-Fi 6 as well as Dual SIM and eSIM support. Face ID, meanwhile, now works 30 percent faster and boasts improved performance at varying distances.

The new iPhone 11 Pro models will be available to pre-order starting at 5 a.m. Pacific on Friday, September 13. They launch a week later on September 20 starting at $999 for the iPhone 11 Pro and $1,099 for the iPhone 11 Pro Max in capacities of 64GB. Models with 256GB and 512GB of local storage are also available.

The iPhone XR and iPhone 8 are also sticking around for another cycle with lowered prices starting at $599 and $499, respectively.

Permalink to story.

700 is too expensive for a cheap Iphone. At least rename it to expensive iphone for a slight price increase to 800.

The pricing is not much different than the XS Max. I looked specifically at the largest 512GB model and at 1449 it's most likely gonna cost the same $1567 I paid for my XS Max.

I agree with those saying it brings nothing "new" to the table and I'm betting they're gonna have a problem moving these as well as they moved iPhone XS/Max.

All I wanted was 1TB of Storage.

I guess I won't get that till next year :(

I had my Apple Card all warmed up and ready to buy.

The pricing is not much different than the XS Max. I looked specifically at the largest 512GB model and at 1449 it's most likely gonna cost the same $1567 I paid for my XS Max.

I agree with those saying it brings nothing "new" to the table and I'm betting they're gonna have a problem moving these as well as they moved iPhone XS/Max.

All I wanted was 1TB of Storage.

I guess I won't get that till next year :(

I had my Apple Card all warmed up and ready to buy.
I don't think Apple will ever sell you a 1TB device without asking for a kidney in return.

You should go to Android, at least with the Note10+ you get 256GB plus the ability to install an SD card with up to 1TB of storage for less than that XS max, not to mention hella better battery life.

Gone are the days when people actually cared about CPU/GPU speed. Last year's iPhones were faster than this yea'r androids and this year's iPhones are crazy faster than the counterparts, but all you hear are "nothing new to the table". Screens, well, "virtually indistinguishable from reality" is just that, and has been for years. Even if this year's iPhones sport almost reference display specs. Cameras, it's all in the software and DSP now, so we'll have to wait. I mean there are still clowns out there who say the Pixel has better cameras (that, when spec for spec there is no magic in the Pixel) - no it's the software, stupid, the Pixels have some incredivbly good software for low light among other things. Time will tell how machine learning amongst the majors compares.

I don't think Apple will ever sell you a 1TB device without asking for a kidney in return.

You should go to Android,

I absolutely don't want Android or anything currently on the market running Android.

I want a 1TB iPhone.

I've got a $10,000 limit on my Apple Card and enough cash to repay it immediately so I get my points.

No kidney transplants required.

LOL, you have to wonder if the so called iSheep, are starting to wake up from their sleep about buying a over expensive phone every couple years. Every time they come out with a new phone, I'm still reminded of this old video, lDIOTS - iPhone Parody, and, it goes for some Android users as well ;)

LOL, you have to wonder if the so called iSheep, are starting to wake up from their sleep about buying a over expensive phone every couple years. Every time they come out with a new phone, I'm still reminded of this old video, lDIOTS - iPhone Parody, and, it goes for some Android users as well ;)

Apple is the epitome of Capitalism and they produce a product people want.

Pro models may move slow but 11’s - just like XR models - will move just fine.

Galaxy Fold and Hua Wei Mate X on the other hand...

When it comes to creativity with names, it seems tech companies (especially the big ones!) are really, really not creative.

"Pro"...Seriously?? What does that mean, the 6, 8, 10 IPhones are amateur-ish and the new "Pro" is professional??
How many times have we seen soft and hardware companies slap "Pro" on their new versions? Pathetic!!

Hire somebody creative whose job is to end this "Pro" misery, sheesh!!

You should go to Android,

I absolutely don't want Android or anything currently on the market running Android.

I want a 1TB iPhone.

I've got a $10,000 limit on my Apple Card and enough cash to repay it immediately so I get my points.

Nobody cares what you want. Just bend over for Apple and take it like a good little fanboy. :)

There seems to be an unwritten rule that every phone manufacturer needs to release a new model every year. They can do it every three years while providing more support for the existing model. It would actually be a brave thing to try.

There seems to be an unwritten rule that every phone manufacturer needs to release a new model every year. They can do it every three years while providing more support for the existing model. It would actually be a brave thing to try.
Because then they would be behind their competitors. In fact Huawei, Samsung, Oppo, Xiaomi all release TWO phones each year. S and Note, P and Mate, 7 and 7T, Mi 9 and Mi Mix 4, Reno Zoom and Reno Zoom 2. All with incremental update, with S+ is now so big it's bigger than smaller Note there is less distinguishable features between them (S Pen).

Won't be long before Apple do the same as their sale go down yet again. More models = hopefully more unit sales.

... Galaxy Fold and Hua Wei Mate X on the other hand...

Those are attempts at innovation, a mere creative exercise if you will.

Give apple some time, and if those foldable phones are here to stay, you might be able to see an apple branded one in three or five years.

I mean, it took them almost six years to get quick charge and five-ish for wireless charging.

I want a 1TB iPhone.

I think you misunderstood, Apple will NEVER give you a 1TB phone.

I think you misunderstood, Apple will NEVER give you a 1TB phone.

Wrong... they usually do it exactly like this. They introduce a new storage size and keep it for 2 years before introducing the next.

iPhone 7 introduced 256GB.
iPhone 8 kept 256GB.
iPhone X was released with iPhone 8 and kept 256GB.
iPhone XS Max introduced 512GB.
iPhone Pro kept the 512GB.
iPhone 12 will offer 1TB.

The real problem is that 4K recording chews up storage space in a way that 1080p didn't. So long as storage space increases while 4K 60FPS video remains the standard, I get far more usable space for making, editing and finalizing videos on the phone. If they move to a higher standard like 8K which I doubt will happen, then that 1TB iPhone will be a necessity.

Thing is: social media downgrades my videos from 4K to 720p in most cases and downgrades picture files as well.

Even if they had an 8K camera and a 2TB storage right now I really wouldn't see any benefits from it unless I had astronomically priced equipment to watch products on.

Just watch a year from now and you can come back here and tell me I was right.

Last edited:
Those are attempts at innovation, a mere creative exercise if you will.

Give apple some time, and if those foldable phones are here to stay, you might be able to see an apple branded one in three or five years.

I mean, it took them almost six years to get quick charge and five-ish for wireless charging.

Quick Charging and wireless charging both cause the phones to heat up.

Heat is an enemy of battery life and longevity.

Apple doesn't rush into these things like its opposition which does. Sure with those silly Android phones and their plastic backs you can just peel them off and insert a new cheap Shen Zhen-made battery, but apple doesn't do things like that till they've perfected it.

Back