Apple's new iPhone 12 has a smaller battery than the iPhone 11

Joe White

Something to look forward to: Apple unveiled the new iPhone 12 lineup this week, and details about the devices' internal batteries have now been revealed. The iPhone 12 has a smaller battery than last year’s iPhone 11, but Apple’s battery life estimates remain consistent across both devices. As you might expect, the smaller-sized iPhone 12 mini has an even smaller battery and a shorter battery life.

Information concerning the new devices' batteries surfaced in documentation published by ANATEL (Brazil’s equivalent of the FCC) and shared by Tecnoblog. According to the documents, Apple’s iPhone 12 has a 2,815 mAh battery, which is slightly smaller than the 3,110 mAh internal battery in last year’s iPhone 11. However, Apple notes that the iPhone 12 can manage the same 17 hours of video playback as its predecessor. Likely the result of efficiency gains in Apple's new SoC and further software refinement.

Apple’s iPhone 12 mini has a smaller battery, as you might expect. According to the documentation, the iPhone 12 mini’s battery has a capacity of 2,227mAh. The somewhat retro $400 2020 iPhone SE, on the other hand, has a capacity of 1,821 mAh.

Details concerning the battery capacity of the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max haven't been revealed yet, however Apple has listed the iPhone 12 Pro’s battery life to clock in at 17 hours of video playback, which is one hour less than last year’s model. The bigger 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max offers the best battery life of any iPhone: Apple notes that it can deliver 20 hours of video playback—the same as last year’s 11 Pro Max.

The same documentation from ANATEL notes that Apple’s new iPhones are being manufactured at Foxconn sites in Brazil and India, as well as China. Preorders for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro launched on October 16, while preorders for the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max open on November 6. The first devices are due to reach customers next week.

Permalink to story.

Imagine is apple wasn't focused on efficiency.

Or obsessed with thinness.

If Apple would produce a Phone with a 4000 mAh battery and a gigantic camera sensor with optical zoom... no one would care how thick it was and they'd buy it.

So that's why they didn't mention the battery life on the stream, because it's worse than last years. If it was the same, they'd have said, they always did the past, "All with the same great battery life as the iPhoneXX" is what they normally say. This time, absolute silence, so it's definitely worse then.

Imagine is apple wasn't focused on efficiency.

Or obsessed with thinness.

If Apple would produce a Phone with a 4000 mAh battery and a gigantic camera sensor with optical zoom... no one would care how thick it was and they'd buy it.

No matter what size or specs people will still be loyale to the brand and like the ecosystem, which is fair enough.

When all the Android phones like Samsung were getting large screens, I knew quite few Apple fanboys who would knock it for the "phablet" look and what do you know, now everyone has big phones.

No matter what size or specs people will still be loyale to the brand and like the ecosystem, which is fair enough.

When all the Android phones like Samsung were getting large screens, I knew quite few Apple fanboys who would knock it for the "phablet" look and what do you know, now everyone has big phones.

Android phones went wild with screen sizes. Apple iOS is a one handed, one thumb operation. Having a gigantic display was initially thought to be problematic. Now it's normalized, but now there's also a retreat back to smaller phone sizes.

I do agree with you however on ecosystem. I have no intention of leaving Apple. It just works so well and I love it. I HATE using Android.

Last edited:
Android phones went wild with screen sizes. Apple iOS is a one handed, one thumb operation. Having a gigantic display was initially thought to be problematic. Now it's normalized, but now there's also a retreat back to smaller phone sizes.

I do agree with you however on ecosystem. I have no intention of leaving Apple. It just works so well and I love it. I HATE using Android.

So are Android phones, the screen sizes are essentially similar across the manufactures depending which tier of the phone you go for. I sometimes have problem using My Note 20 Ultra (my old 9 even) with one hand so sometimes I have to stretch but the size and quality of the screen is just impeccable for on-the-go media consumption.

Indeed once you are in either it's hard to leave. I would go with iPhone but prefer the evil Google OS than evil Apple iOS. Just comes down to preference I suppose. These days "they all just work".

So that's why they didn't mention the battery life on the stream, because it's worse than last years. If it was the same, they'd have said, they always did the past, "All with the same great battery life as the iPhoneXX" is what they normally say. This time, absolute silence, so it's definitely worse then.
Right in the article, as well as on the Apple site it says the battery life is the same as last year’s iPhone. So given that, where do you get the information you use to arrive at your conclusion?

So are Android phones, the screen sizes are essentially similar across the manufactures depending which tier of the phone you go for. I sometimes have problem using My Note 20 Ultra (my old 9 even) with one hand so sometimes I have to stretch but the size and quality of the screen is just impeccable for on-the-go media consumption.

Indeed once you are in either it's hard to leave. I would go with iPhone but prefer the evil Google OS than evil Apple iOS. Just comes down to preference I suppose. These days "they all just work".
Not quite. Google steals your privacy and I’s far less secure. Also, no one integrates across a platform as well as Apple, not even close. Mac-phone - watch-HomePod-appletv-headphones

True, and hahaha no headphone jack said the robobois and now, no headphone jacks. Soon no redundant chargers too. So your point?

Not quite. Google steals your privacy and I’s far less secure.

And Apple tends to throw their weight around more with developers, requiring them to submit to the App Store tax. At least there are optional storefronts and the ability to side load on Android. However, neither is the perfect environment.

Right in the article, as well as on the Apple site it says the battery life is the same as last year’s iPhone. So given that, where do you get the information you use to arrive at your conclusion?
I watched the Stream? Just like I said in my comment? If it was the same, they would have proudly announced it on the Stream, they always have. They didn't, which means they don't want battery life as a talking point, ergo, it's worse on battery life.

Probably not by a huge amount with all the other changes included but it's definitely worse. Either that or they got soo wrapped up on talking about 5G, they just forgot the important stuff like battery life?

Not quite. Google steals your privacy and I’s far less secure. Also, no one integrates across a platform as well as Apple, not even close. Mac-phone - watch-HomePod-appletv-headphones

You were in such a rush to comment - that your comment doe not make sense . Mr K said once you were in a system - if was hard to leave . Your comment suggests that if MR K changed his android phone to apple he would have integration - Integration with what his PC , his google TV , his chromecast , his synced chrome and google docs . Basically you JUST RE-ENFORCED his argument .
I had to buy an IPAD for my son for school , next couple of years I will have to buy a chromebook . Why would I want to get stuck in a company like Apple - because Google STEALS my data -so it can target adverts at me - Because Apple is more safe ?? - Do you know how much fear I had on my android phone with it's beautiful SD card ( yes a SD card - that I can use with no fear ) - None - no fear - I have unlimited data - so no wifi contact - only turn on NFC/BT as needed - I don't surf weird websites, I install 1 well known app. a year - I keep it on my possession.
I read various tech forums and I see irrational fear about how insecure PC/phones are - yet it is extremely rare to read about Bank A/cs being stripped - most from scammer getting folks from phone calls to install remote viewers etc . Banks happily reimbursing credit card frauds- they don't seem too concerned .
My take is most data stealing is from websites folks visit - and Apple Safari is probably no better than Chrome for protection for someone scrapping passwords etc

And Apple tends to throw their weight around more with developers, requiring them to submit to the App Store tax. At least there are optional storefronts and the ability to side load on Android. However, neither is the perfect environment.
If you properly research the subject, you will find that you are only partially correct. Yes on Apple developers must submit to App Store, primarily for privacy and security compliance, largely explains why iOS is so much better at this. But developers are not required to pay “ “developer tax”, they can clearly create their own payment model outside the App Store. Much like selling on the Amazon site, customers who buy on the site, pay the fees, but customers who go to the develops web site to sign up and pay, download the apps for free. It’s so much like Amazon it can’t be ignored

I’s far less secure. Also, no one integrates across a platform as well as Apple, not even close. Mac-phone - watch-HomePod-appletv-headphones

1) Hate to break it to you but all services "steal" your privacy, whatever "privacy" means. Sure Google might have more access due to Maps for instance but your carriers which have your phone pinged back and forth between cell towers also know where you are. Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, it's all relatively the same. GEO loc data is sent out, time online and so forth. All of these companies also make it very difficult for your data to be fully erased, after all, data is what's todays gold.

2) Sure the ecosystem that Apple has is fairly strong, but it's exclusive to Apple. However Google ecosystem integrates in Apple operating systems, Linux, TVs, watches, cars etc. Sure if you are talking about devices and how well they work with each other, Apple will most likely take the "crown".

True, and hahaha no headphone jack said the robobois and now, no headphone jacks. Soon no redundant chargers too. So your point?

My point is being hypocrisy in that specific scenario I've mentioned? Sure Headphone jacks are leaving and quite frankly I do not miss them. That said, there will always be a niche for analog just as there is a niche for removable batteries.

You were in such a rush to comment - that your comment doe not make sense . Mr K said once you were in a system - if was hard to leave . Your comment suggests that if MR K changed his android phone to apple he would have integration - Integration with what his PC , his google TV , his chromecast , his synced chrome and google docs . Basically you JUST RE-ENFORCED his argument .
I had to buy an IPAD for my son for school , next couple of years I will have to buy a chromebook . Why would I want to get stuck in a company like Apple - because Google STEALS my data -so it can target adverts at me - Because Apple is more safe ?? - Do you know how much fear I had on my android phone with it's beautiful SD card ( yes a SD card - that I can use with no fear ) - None - no fear - I have unlimited data - so no wifi contact - only turn on NFC/BT as needed - I don't surf weird websites, I install 1 well known app. a year - I keep it on my possession.
I read various tech forums and I see irrational fear about how insecure PC/phones are - yet it is extremely rare to read about Bank A/cs being stripped

and if you do get your bank account stripped the process of getting your finances back is fairly easy although can be tiresome depending on the situation.

People have this "privacy" fear, well just chuck your phone away and live in the woods. It is fair to have genuine concerns for instance the whole Facebook shitstorm but there is no such thing as "privacy" online. Sure you can take precautions but it gets to a point of how hard will you try and be anonymous before it becoming a real nuisance upkeeping the anonymity.

VPN helps with websites/services like Techspot, Steam, Reddit. But ISPs, Cell Towers will always know your whereabouts. Additionally a lot of data is gathered through apps where VPNs won't do ****.

1) Hate to break it to you but all services "steal" your privacy, whatever "privacy" means. Sure Google might have more access due to Maps for instance but your carriers which have your phone pinged back and forth between cell towers also know where you are. Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, it's all relatively the same. GEO loc data is sent out, time online and so forth. All of these companies also make it very difficult for your data to be fully erased, after all, data is what's todays gold.

2) Sure the ecosystem that Apple has is fairly strong, but it's exclusive to Apple. However Google ecosystem integrates in Apple operating systems, Linux, TVs, watches, cars etc. Sure if you are talking about devices and how well they work with each other, Apple will most likely take the "crown".
1) hate to break it to you, Google actually does sell your data to advertisers, that is there very business model. Apple does not, never, ever.
2) Not sure where your going with this. iCloud can be used on Windows, android, linux, ..... Apple Music runs on a variety of platforms. same for iWork. so perhaps you saying you can run android apps in macOS/iOS (well there is a simulator)? Or google search? Safari for Windows vs chrome - got that. oh, oh, it s google maps! I think you are right, not sure Apple Maps runs on anything but apple.

1) hate to break it to you, Google actually does sell your data to advertisers, that is there very business model. Apple does not, never, ever.
2) Not sure where your going with this. iCloud can be used on Windows, android, linux, ..... Apple Music runs on a variety of platforms. same for iWork. so perhaps you saying you can run android apps in macOS/iOS (well there is a simulator)? Or google search? Safari for Windows vs chrome - got that. oh, oh, it s google maps! I think you are right, not sure Apple Maps runs on anything but apple.

That is besides the point, I am not discussing the monetary stance on data but just the basics of a "privacy". Google runs a different business model to Apple. Where Apple primarily focuses on Hardware with iOS and OSX as a bolton. Google makes huge margins via PPC which I am totally fine with (soz SEO boiz). Again the point is, no matter how you look at it, THEY ARE ALL SPYING ON YOU. Reading comprehension, please, use it.

Apple Music is essentially a service of its own. Safari is redundant on Windows enfact its a POS product making developer lives more difficult. By using Safari (why even would you?) as well as Apple Music and iCloud (I know 0 people who use iCloud without an Apple device) is hardly Apple ecosystem. Again anyone can install Chromium, Android (OEMs) however OSX and iOS (ecosystem at its root) are exclusive to Apple. Oh and no, Hackintosh does not count.

To answer your question "I am not sure where you are going with this"
Also, no one integrates across a platform as well as Apple, not even close.

Again, Google clearly does, as a whole.

Last edited:

Of course I know google target with me with adverts - so what . I do not care.

If you truely think Apple does not have a profile on you - then you are very naïve- They have to data collect just to streamline and provide better service and if a story comes out be the future that not only Apple targets you - but they give preferential help to others - I would not be in the least bit surprise .
Apple are very good at distorting peoples reality fields .
That Apple cares about workers , environment, that it created the smart phone.
If was the first to put a camera on a phone . That you are special and creative if you buy one . That their products just work and if not it's your fault. That they are more intuitive . That your data is safe in their cloud and your ITunes data will not be lost .
Yes they make good products , design great chips - But they do not care about us - They only care about money . They have been caught abusing their workers in America and overseas multiple times - They destroy developers who have done nothing wrong on on a whim with no re-course so they can make more money .
Don't think they are not like Google or Facebook - that is exactly like they are - no some plucky little guy fighting for the poor and oppressed ( another reality distortion field Apple fans believe ).

TBF this is no exactly your argument - but Apple want to control everything about you -to use their payment system - like the other big 3 they are researching all the things to control your life - I would not be surprised if Apple tried to take a cut of medical insurance with all the data they collect on you.

So Google sending me Adverts is small beer

Back