Apple's Ping offers Twitter integration

Emil

Staff

Twitter has announced it will link its service with Apple's Ping. More than 175 million registered Twitter users can now connect their accounts to iTunes. The linking occurs from within Ping: iTunes users today are being greeted with a new banner telling them to add their Twitter accounts. "iTunes song previews are available on Twitter.com in the 23 countries where the iTunes Store offers music," the company said in a statement.

Once the accounts are linked, whenever you Post, Like, Review, or tell your friends why you purchased a song or album on Ping, your Twitter will be notified. Song previews and links to buy music from the iTunes store are included in the messages. Clicking on a link shared through Ping from Twitter's website shows song details and the song preview right there on the site. The integration is also meant to help Ping users more easily find their Twitter friends on the service.

Twitter's deal comes after Apple failed to strike a Ping partnership with Facebook, which has more than 500 million users. Apple launched the Ping social network two months ago. It works within iTunes to let users follow artists and recommend songs to their chosen circle of friends. The company originally held talks with Facebook, but the discussions did not result in an agreement.

Permalink to story.

This whole Ping thing looks useless to me...I mean, everyone who wants to use social networks has already joined one, facebook, twitter, myspace, Ping just came too late in my opinion, and no kind of cooperation or integration will significantly change it

Useless is a strong word, which I wouldn't use with iTune's Ping. In a general sense, Ping caters to a narrower demographic, i.e. those consumers who enjoy many facets of music more so than the average consumer. Since many of those consumers are probably pretty tech savvy as well as regular users of social networks, Ping would work great as a go-between. Unfortunately, Apple and Facebook couldn't work out their differences... a loss for both parties.

Ping just seems like an attempt to increase value for the reliable itunes fan base. It doesn't really offer much now, but i imagine it will get bigger with time.

Apple Ping: "Look we have one too!"

Another useless networking site, with even more useless ties into the Apple music store.

i dont see the point in the integration. let's face it, it's new but its useless. well im not really one to predict but even if they strike a partnership with facebook it wouldnt do so much of a difference. they;re just riding with twitter or facebook's popularity. this wont be a hit anytime soon

Back