ASML CEO says some companies are ripping out chips from washing machines

nanoguy

Staff member
The big picture: Chip tool makers like ASML are more than happy about the semiconductor industry's rush to expand manufacturing capacity. However, the rippling effects of material and component shortages also apply to them, affecting their ability to meet the demand for manufacturing equipment. Some companies are now ripping out the chips they need from existing retail products.

The availability of GPUs has improved a lot over the past few months. It's been enough pressure to drive prices down much closer to MSRP than a year ago. That said, multiple industry leaders believe they'll continue to deal with a chip shortage until 2023 or even 2024, despite the best efforts of foundries to add more capacity.

For lithography equipment supplier ASML, the added demand from foundries looking to fast-track their expansion is a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, the Dutch company is eager to deliver more advanced EUV machines to its customers. On the other, it has to contend with its own supply issues.

During an investor call, ASML CEO Peter Wennink said he expects the chip shortage to last well into 2023, mainly because his company can't supply the kind of volume needed by customers across the globe right now. This problem also affects other specialized chip tool manufacturers such as Applied Materials, KLA, and Lam Research. It all translates into longer delivery times stretching beyond 18 months.

Wennink explained that ASML could, at best, cover around 60 percent of the demand for advanced lithography machines. Furthermore, he noted that some companies — including a major industrial conglomerate he won't name — have recently started buying washing machines to extract the chips and repurpose them for their needs. This unorthodox recycling cuts the time and money cost of qualifying alternate chips making it more attractive than cutting back production or buying the necessary parts from resellers.

Last year, TSMC chairman Mark Liu said various distributors and go-betweens had been stockpiling chips throughout the pandemic. Liu also didn't mention names, but both TSMC and ASML are close with an extensive network of partners and customers. They have long warned that geopolitical instability and sanctions imposed on countries like China and Russia would push companies to create even more chaos in the tech supply chain.

Lam Research CEO Timothy Archer echoed Wennink's remark that supply-related delays will affect how much factory equipment can be manufactured in the coming months. Even if companies like TSMC, Samsung, and Intel could somehow secure enough tooling for their new factories, major wafer suppliers won't be able to keep up with demand until 2024.

Different industry sectors will be affected to varying degrees, and automakers are still dealing with the effects of canceling chip orders early on in the pandemic. Now that they're scrambling to compete in the EV market, some like Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe believe the chip shortage will look like a "small appetizer" compared to the coming undersupply of Lithium-ion batteries.

Permalink to story.

If ever there was an argument for not adding unnecessary electronics to consumer devices...

Our 25-year old Maytag didn't have a single digital anything and outlasted two newer machines that didn't wash as well. Bring the manufacturing back to the west and eliminate reliance on ICs whenever possible. Any repair professional will tell you that ICs are the first thing to fail on mechanical devices.

Last edited:
If ever there was an argument for not adding unnecessary electronics to consumer devices...

Our 25-year old Maytag didn't have a single digital anything and outlasted two newer machines that didn't wash as well. Bring the manufacturing back to the west and eliminate reliance on ICs whenever possible. Any repair professional will tell you that ICs are the first thing to fail on mechanical devices.
I gave my Maytag's to charities when I sold my business - The dryers just went and went - except the fins got broken - when guests wanted to dry their boots etc . Replaced a motor or 2 on Washing machines - they also got hammered .
Senses also fail on a lot of devices - most electric jugs elements don't fail now - a protecting sensor fails.
Saying that the Maytag washing machine is a water hog - =think newer ones may be better.
I say to staff on leaving - those sheets just need another 3 or 4 minutes drying - I know many times the forget and let the dryer go full cycle .
So we do need those IC boards - I know on Miele what F16 means - hey boss it's not working - it's showing F16 - The drain blockage code is useful as well ( maybe F4 from memory ) - as why empty pockets of hairclips , tiny nails , wire etc etc

Buy a dish washer , washing machine - that does not have too many polycarbonate locking parts - ie one that can be opened and closed 1 million times with super carelessness . As for fridges - polycarbonate held side shelfs fail when add more containers in , jam them in - In communal areas

I got a samsung washer with a full color TFT display with languages option. it was nice but it was unnecessary. also the I had to replace the mainboard on 5th year because it randomly throw 3E motor error message.

so yeah... manufacturers need to stop putting too much chips inside a washing machine. the latest samsung washer no longer has TFT screen but it has wifi. wonder why people would need wifi in their washing machine. yeah u can set time but didn't you need to put your clothes in first anyway?

This unorthodox recycling cuts the time and money cost of qualifying alternate chips making it more attractive than cutting back production or buying the necessary parts from resellers.
Personally, I would call this cannibalization rather than recycling.

I gave my Maytag's to charities when I sold my business - The dryers just went and went - except the fins got broken - when guests wanted to dry their boots etc . Replaced a motor or 2 on Washing machines - they also got hammered .
Senses also fail on a lot of devices - most electric jugs elements don't fail now - a protecting sensor fails.
Saying that the Maytag washing machine is a water hog - =think newer ones may be better.
I say to staff on leaving - those sheets just need another 3 or 4 minutes drying - I know many times the forget and let the dryer go full cycle .
So we do need those IC boards - I know on Miele what F16 means - hey boss it's not working - it's showing F16 - The drain blockage code is useful as well ( maybe F4 from memory ) - as why empty pockets of hairclips , tiny nails , wire etc etc

Maytags, from checking Consumer Reports ratings', are not what they used to be - they are now rated near the bottom of reliability ratings. At one time, their advertising may have been accurate, but now it seems that their ads are simply marketing.

My wife did a significant amount of research a few years back when we were in the market for a new dryer, first, then a new washing machine. We settled on Speed Queen and have had absolutely no problems with them - I bet they do have chips in them, but they are not loaded with stupid stuff that is not needed, IMO, like LCD Displays, wifi control and other unneeded crap. Speed Queen actually makes their stuff in the US, and it would seem that unlike some US Manufacturers, they actually do care about quality rather than just using it as a marketing ploy. We had Frigidaire before that, and they were totally mechanical, however on the dryer, the overtemp sensor kept failing - even after I replaced it a few times.

EDIT: I've also heard that some are doing this with furnaces, too, however, it sounds like they order the parts that they have cannibalized, and when those parts come in, replace them and then sell the furnaces.

Last edited:
3E
I got a samsung washer with a full color TFT display with languages option. it was nice but it was unnecessary. also the I had to replace the mainboard on 5th year because it randomly throw 3E motor error message.

so yeah... manufacturers need to stop putting too much chips inside a washing machine. the latest samsung washer no longer has TFT screen but it has wifi. wonder why people would need wifi in their washing machine. yeah u can set time but didn't you need to put your clothes in first anyway?

I fixed mine myself, which also issued E3 errors. plus other fixes

First it was catalytic converters...now, they'll start breaking into your house to steal your washing machine. LOL
See what happens when you SHUT DOWN the global economy? You just can't put the key in and start it up again. Especially when MOST of the crap comes from CHINA and they are still locking things down.
I hope, but I won't hold my breath waiting, that the corporations around the world MOVE most of their production OUT of China.

Contact India, they probably have more chips than they need. The poor saps have been getting electronic waste for decades.

Couldn't agree more. My washer and dryer are only a few years old now, but there isn't a digital anything in them. All mechanical.

I personally prefer aesthetic features over computer complexity.
I recently bought a full Samsung suite and I was more focused on having glass doors on the Washer and Dryer than having the most advanced computer or any SMART functions which realistically are USELESS when you aren't home in proximity to the machines.

Chip production is what we all should be investing in.

The importance of Taiwan the island of Formosa has become strategic to china and protective to America, because Integrated Circuitry manufacturing technology know how in Taiwan is very advanced.
most Lithium ion batteries will be coming from south korea and they have the worst knowledge of IC advanced manufacturing hence the warnings of not parking your hyundai & kia in the garage or to close to the house.

Last edited:
I personally prefer aesthetic features over computer complexity.
I recently bought a full Samsung suite and I was more focused on having glass doors on the Washer and Dryer than having the most advanced computer or any SMART functions which realistically are USELESS when you aren't home in proximity to the machines.

Chip production is what we all should be investing in.
I also bought full samsung appliances for pretty much this same reason, aesthetics, and they had larger capacity. Plus pretty much every piece of electronics in my house is samsung so I might be biased.

First it was catalytic converters...now, they'll start breaking into your house to steal your washing machine. LOL
See what happens when you SHUT DOWN the global economy? You just can't put the key in and start it up again. Especially when MOST of the crap comes from CHINA and they are still locking things down.
I hope, but I won't hold my breath waiting, that the corporations around the world MOVE most of their production OUT of China.
These are all the consequences of human greed and hoarding money/resources: the shortages, the market speculations, the inflation, everything.

Back