Asrock DeskMini Z370 GTX 1060 Review

Interesting idea, but the lack of upgrade-ability (because you know nobody will bother offering newer GPUs in this format) kills it for me. Way too much money for something that will be outdated in a few years. Learned that lesson the hard way already.

So these things come in dead last in every benchmark except for power consumption and physical volume, but yet offer "good performance".

I'm curious what would constitute "poor performance" for this review.

So these things come in dead last in every benchmark except for power consumption and physical volume, but yet offer "good performance".

You have to keep form factor in mind, no one was expecting an MXM card with a compact cooler to beat or even match a large graphics card. The fact that it was so close to true desktop performance is very impressive. You see these things in laptops and they are often 20% or more behind the desktop versions.

For any non-game - CAD, Video Editing, Design, Content creation, Photo Editing - this is going to have performance so similar to the full meal deal they won't notice the lack of a few calories. If they then plan to take down a squad in ghost recon, they are toast. Will wait a few months and see if I can pick one up. As long as mining prices Video Cards into the stratosphere, I don't think I will be looking to handle a 1080 upgrade.

Interesting idea, but the lack of upgrade-ability (because you know nobody will bother offering newer GPUs in this format) kills it for me. Way too much money for something that will be outdated in a few years. Learned that lesson the hard way already.

Assume then that if your criteria is not to buy something that is "outdated in a few years" you are buying .... nothing. We are talking computers - they are outdated in 12 months. The really sad thing is that now that cars have so much proprietary telematics in them - they are outdated every couple of years - despite no changes to engines, body style etc.

For me we have the core upgrade from MXM 1060 to MXM 1080 - and my hope is that the Bitcoin mining craze dims enough to return these cards to an affordable realm. In the meantime, I will just buy a new house. At least it appreciates.

Back