Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, and Asrock offer gamers a glimmer of hope for better GPU prices

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Some of Nvidia's and AMD’s AIB partners are running promotions on their GPUs, which is good news for gamers everywhere. While we don’t know when we’ll be able to buy graphics cards at decent prices, improved availability and developments such as this raise hope that the market will continue to improve in the coming months.

Between the chip shortage, scalpers, and cryptocurrency miners with an appetite for industrial GPU mining, it's been two long years since we've seen mid-range and high-end graphics cards anywhere close to their manufacturer suggested retail price. Things have been improving as of late, albeit at a pace that makes everyone long for a time when MSRP was more than an arbitrary number that's thrown around in marketing materials.

Availability is much better today than it was a year ago, and prices for both AMD's and Nvidia's GPUs are generally hovering at around 40 percent over MSRP. In some parts of Europe, lower end models like the Radeon RX 6500 XT and the GeForce RTX 3050 can be found for surprisingly low prices in what is still a heated GPU market.

As noted by Chris Szewczyk over at PC Gamer, select manufacturers have started offering discounts on some RTX 3000 series graphics cards. For instance, those of you that live in Australia may find the Strix and TUF variants of the RTX 3080 10GB selling for as low as $1,399.99 at retailers like Scorptec, PC Case Gear, and PLE. This was a significant price drop, as most units sold out quickly over the course of a few hours.

For people who like to scout for GPUs on eBay, things are not quite as rosy, but Tom's Hardware writes that prices for most current generation graphics cards have seen an average drop of around nine percent since February. That said, Newegg prices for some GPUs are even better, with Gigabyte's RTX 3080 12 GB going for $1,249.99, the RTX 3070 Ti going for $899.99, and the Aorus RTX 3070 priced at $859.99.

The situation with AMD's RDNA 2 cards looks quite similar. The Asrock RX 6900 XT now sells for $1,299.99, the RX 6800 can be found at $979.99, the RX 6700 XT can be had for $599.99, and the RX 6600 XT is only $499.99. Amazon prices are still a mess as of writing, but with improved availability in several other places, it won't be long before they'll align with the same downward trend.

EVGA is also listing the RTX 3080 12GB XC3 Ultra Gaming and the RTX 3080 12GB FTW3 Ultra Gaming models for 1,249.99 and 1,299.99, respectively. It should go without saying that stock for these will probably evaporate soon, but they're yet another positive sign for the troubled GPU market.

Of course, there's still a lot of room left for improvement and the downward price trend could reverse due to a variety of factors, such as factory lockdowns in Shenzhen, power outages in Taiwan, and a dwindling supply of certain materials and gases due to the ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine. Intel's much-awaited Arc A-series GPUs aren't immune from some of these developments, but we can only hope the increased competition for Nvidia and AMD will drive down prices a little more.

Permalink to story.

If right now, Nvidia did a ship directly from factory-to-site on the 3090 and sold it at $1499 MSRP, there'd be scores of people lined up to get it.

But the reality is, most people are going to pay way more than that $1400 just to get a 3080Ti ($1900 at least) and they'll just be happy that it was in stock.

If right now, Nvidia did a ship directly from factory-to-site on the 3090 and sold it at $1499 MSRP, there'd be scores of people lined up to get it.

But the reality is, most people are going to pay way more than that $1400 just to get a 3080Ti ($1900 at least) and they'll just be happy that it was in stock.
3090? just let me get a 3060ti for msrp, thats all.

these articles are dumb, dont sugarcoat it and just say you're still f***ed.

most of the dudes on this site are probably using cards that dont even need to be replaced, theyre just used to buying whatever the newest of the new is every year for bragging rights.

3090? just let me get a 3060ti for msrp, thats all.

these articles are dumb, dont sugarcoat it and just say you're still f***ed.

most of the dudes on this site are probably using cards that dont even need to be replaced, theyre just used to buying whatever the newest of the new is every year for bragging rights.

I hear you, and I share in your frustration regarding GPU prices. I've been using a Vega 64 for years, can't even remember the day I bought it. Personally, I want an RX 6700 XT that's no more than $500, so I can finally play Cyberpunk 2077 and Assassin's Creed: Valhalla.

I hear you, and I share in your frustration regarding GPU prices. I've been using a Vega 64 for years, can't even remember the day I bought it. Personally, I want an RX 6700 XT that's no more than $500, so I can finally play Cyberpunk 2077 and Assassin's Creed: Valhalla.

I would have been willing to take a 6700XT if they were sold at their MSRP range. I really wanted a 6800 or a 3070 when they initially came out, but that didn't happen. Once the GPUs started flying off the shelves and appearing on ebay for 2-3x MSRP I knew it would be a long while before I might find something.

The 6700XT was announced and it would be a good replacement for my 980Ti....but same crap, different day. Eventually stock on them became easily available at Micro Center, but the fact that the 6700XT cards were retailing for almost $1k meant I wasn't getting one of those, either. They're down to the $700-900 range at Micro Center now and they've always got stock. But with the availability of just as good or better Nvidia cards at the same price range or lower, no one has been buying AMD cards much. When you can now easily pick up a 3070 Ti that's 10-20% faster than a 6700XT in the same price bracket ($800-900), why would you spend the same amount of money for less performance?

The AMD prices need to drop and drop fast to the MSRP range and undercut Nvidia if AMD really wants their cards to start selling better. It's really stupid that they've been so overpriced and just sitting on shelves for the past year or more.

It's not $500, but Newegg did have some 6700XT's yesterday for $550 if you used their mobile app to order it.

Even with price drops, the pricing is still far from ideal to me. However given how fluid the situation is since COVID happened, I feel if you need a GPU, just get one and forget about checking out GPU prices for a few years. I downgraded my GPU late last year with the anticipation of the next gen GPUs from AMD and Nvidia later this year, and since I’ve completed the games that I wanted to play. However, I snapped up a RTX 3080 just a couple of weeks back (at a decent price) because with everything that’s happening around us in the world, I am skeptical that prices of next gen GPUs will be attractive. I could be wrong, but I’ve decided to bite the bullet and take a good long break from worrying about when I can get a good GPU or how much I will need to pay for a good GPU.

You know….you can still play those games with a Vega 64….

No way, creators and miners want the 3090.

3080 should be max for gamers as the upgrade price/performance is beyond stupid for a 3080ti or 3090. People need to pull their head out if their ***.

Check steam stats. Most real gamers want an affordable card at msrp. The 3050 at $250 is an incredible value. THAT card and a 3060ti are the cards people would be lining up to get their hands on. No doubt

The question is: do I buy now, when the price is the best it's been for a long time, or do I keep waiting? I almost bought a GPU last week because it had dropped dramatically, but prices dropped once more this week. Anything could happen to the prices during the current economic climate. Who knows, shipping costs might skyrocket due to oil prices.

The the prices here in AU seem to be getting cheaper by the day. Umart has 3070 for A$1019 and PC Case Gear 3070 Ti for $1099. Its getting tempting to get one, even that I'm happy with 5700 I got for most stuff I play.

I am amazed by how many people on this site think $1000+ for a graphics card is no big deal. Maybe the posters on this site are high end users that don't need to watch how much they spend. I have to believe that these are the one-percenters.

I think the broader gaming community is not willing to spend more than $250-$500 for a GPU. Once you get above that level, it seems more practical to buy a PS5 or Xbox.

I am still chugging along with my 1070Ti I bought several years ago. It has about the same capability as a new RX 6600 XT, except that costs $500 and I paid less than $400 4 years ago. I sure would like something better, but not at these prices.

The question is: do I buy now, when the price is the best it's been for a long time, or do I keep waiting? I almost bought a GPU last week because it had dropped dramatically, but prices dropped once more this week. Anything could happen to the prices during the current economic climate. Who knows, shipping costs might skyrocket due to oil prices.

Or you could be all set to buy because you waited a few extra weeks hoping more price drops would happen, only to find out that the inventory that was on the shelf is now out of stock again. You waited too long and missed your chance!

Or you could buy today and find out a week or two later the prices dropped again.

Or you could buy today and find out a week or two later that the prices stayed the same.

Or you could buy today and find out a week or two later that the prices increased.

You have to make the decision to buy or not to buy. If you keep playing the "what if" game you'll never make a decision.

It's not $500, but Newegg did have some 6700XT's yesterday for $550 if you used their mobile app to order it.

It seems that $550 6700 XT is by XFX (today it's listed at $699).

XFX, according to some websites, has been repackaging and selling USED GPUs that have been mined almost to death as new!!

People should be aware of that before buying.

Back