Asus is reportedly increasing the price of its graphics cards, again

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: With demand for graphics cards through the roof and the worldwide chip shortage showing no signs of ending, AIB partners are selling Nvidia/AMD products at prices much higher than their MSRP. Asus has already raised pricing across its GPU and motherboard line-up. Now, the company looks set to do it again.

Back in January, Asus blamed the increasing costs of components, operations, and logistical activities, along with the "continuation of import tariffs," for its actions. The firm said it had done all it could to "minimize price increases" through discussions with its supply and logistic partners, but the cards still became more expensive. MSI did the same thing in March when it raised the prices of its products.

According to a report by Tom's Hardware, Asus is considering hiking its card prices for a second time. The rising cost of sourcing components is being passed on to the consumer, while the unprecedented demand has also played a part in the decision. Expect to see its motherboards increase in price, too.

Asus recently revealed a mini version of the RTX 3060 perfect from small form-factor PCs, which will no doubt cost way more than the MSRP.

The sad reality is that other card manufacturers will likely follow in Asus' footsteps and raise their hardware's price tags.

It does appear that we're moving in the right direction when it comes to addressing the global chip shortage problem, at least in the long-term: TSMC is spending $100 billion on more fabs and R&D, GlobalFoundries is doubling its expansion budget to $1.5 billion, and the Biden administration is getting involved. There's still the drought problem in Taiwan, though.

Demand is another issue. On rare occasions when cards become available, gamers often battle scalpers and miners in a race to buy. At least Nvidia has its CMP line to ease the latter issue. There are also rumors that it will create the world's fastest mining card—a speculated 210 MH/s—using the first-ever Ampere GPU: the A100 designed for AI, HPC workloads, and cloud computing.

Permalink to story.

I know someone who just paid $900 for an RTX 3060. No, not a Ti. Very much against my strongly worded advice.

They asked me to install it for them and said I could keep the old card, a venerable GTX 970. I just shrugged and said ok.

Looked at absurd used prices for them, closing in on $250. Put it up for $180 because I just wanted rid and caused a feeding frenzy of messages. Was probably worse than listing it at 'true' current value! Made sure it went to a gamer in need and still felt bad about taking his money :confused:

Well these are likely not gonna go to gamers except the ones that are rich enough that can pay 500 or 5000 for a GPU without even noticing a difference on their bank accounts.

With that out of the way, most of these stories should be followed up with "We reached out for Nvidia and AMD for comment" and just keep pressuring them to answer some difficult questions: Asus is a big enough company that basically spit on the face of Nvidia but in an ideal world Nvidia would punish Asus for basically not sticking to what they want.

Or if you see it on a different light, Nvidia shouldn't be allowed to keep quoting MSRP if no "Manufactured" actually listens to the "Suggested" price and instead just be honest and saw "Price? We just don't know it costs what it costs" instead.

Vidya: I'm the most popular hobby on earth, yay me!

Ruling class: Vidya is far too accessible, anything truly worthwhile should only be available to us!

Rando gamer: Guess I can't has. :(

I know someone who just paid $900 for an RTX 3060. No, not a Ti. Very much against my strongly worded advice.

They asked me to install it for them and said I could keep the old card, a venerable GTX 970. I just shrugged and said ok.

Looked at absurd used prices for them, closing in on $250. Put it up for $180 because I just wanted rid and caused a feeding frenzy of messages. Was probably worse than listing it at 'true' current value! Made sure it went to a gamer in need and still felt bad about taking his money :confused:
Never feel bad for someone willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money, that's on them not you. Kudos to you for selling at a reasonable price but if someone says here's $300, well, that is solely up to you.

After last "required" price hike Asus' 3090EK (I was interested in) jumped in price by (equivalent of) 750$. Right now it's 3900$ & out of stock since forever. Sure increase prices even more. Love you guys.

Frakkers.

Well these are likely not gonna go to gamers except the ones that are rich enough that can pay 500 or 5000 for a GPU without even noticing a difference on their bank accounts.

With that out of the way, most of these stories should be followed up with "We reached out for Nvidia and AMD for comment" and just keep pressuring them to answer some difficult questions: Asus is a big enough company that basically spit on the face of Nvidia but in an ideal world Nvidia would punish Asus for basically not sticking to what they want.

Or if you see it on a different light, Nvidia shouldn't be allowed to keep quoting MSRP if no "Manufactured" actually listens to the "Suggested" price and instead just be honest and saw "Price? We just don't know it costs what it costs" instead.

Why are you specifically saying NVIDIA? The MSRP is a recommendation and not a law that can't be broken. Also all, but EVGA, as far as I know, is selling video cards well above MSRP. It has nothing to do with NVIDIA or AMD it is a sellers market and they wouldn't raise prices if they didn't sell everything before it hit a shelf.

Asus prices are still ludicrous for little to zero performance difference; I'm not paying $1700 for an Asus 3080Ti when I can get one just as good from EVGA for $500 less. I mean that is just insane off-the rails pricing by Asus; and I hope it bites them in the arse big time.

I just thank goodness my means are as modest as my "needs". (read "wants", "addictions"). I bought an Asus "Tuff" GTX-1650, (Turing GDDR6 version), for $220.00 last night. Newegg actually wanted more ($230.) for the GDDR5 "Phoenix fan" edition.

No RTX? So what..! The GDDR6 bumps the memory bandwidth up to 192 GBs from 128, (not much better than a GTX 1050 ti (111 GBs).

I haven't actually had the fans start running on my 1050, so I think I can expect the same or better from this card.

No "Cyberpunk 2077" for me, you say? I know right. Maybe I'll have to see a therapist about that. (or not). :rolleyes:

In other news, my GT-710 just thermaled out while hunting "erotic art". Not sure if there were too many images, or it git hot because they were simply too durty for it to handle. 🤣

Last edited:
Back