Asus' latest monitor accessory bends light to eliminate unsightly bezels

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I’ve long been a proponent of multi-monitor setups due to the productivity implications. In my line of work, being able to have several windows open and visible at once is invaluable.

Operating multiple screens isn’t a flawless solution, however, as you still have to contend with ugly screen bezels. Advancements in technology over the years have slimmed bezels down considerably but Asus’ latest product looks to eliminate the eyesore entirely.

The Asus ROG Bezel-Free Monitor Kit uses thin lenses constructed of PMMA, a type of transparent thermoplastic that is much more durable than glass. The lenses, which contain optical micro-structures that reflect light, are placed along the seams where screens meet and bend the light to create an “optical camouflage” that hides the bezels underneath.

Asus says the material lets 90 percent of light from the monitors shine through. This makes the picture under the lenses slightly dimmer than the rest of the screen but less distracting than the opaque seams created when two bezels are pushed up against each other. Using glass lenses would reduce the dimming but according to Asus, they’d then be too fragile for mass production (and probably much more expensive).

The kit on display at CES fits the ROG Swift PG258Q and Strix XG258Q but the concept can be adapted to work with other displays, we’re told. It has been designed to work at an angle of 130 degrees which offered the best balance of conform and immersion during testing.

Asus certainly has an intriguing concept on its hands and one that solves a real problem. The fact that it’s an optical solution is nice as it won’t require any additional wires or software. What’s more, if it could easily be adapted to non-Asus monitors, it’d be even more attractive. Then again, this is a very niche product that may never make it past the concept phase.

Ultimately, it’ll all come down to how the effect looks in person. Or, you could simply ditch that multi-monitor setup and go with a single, large-screen 4K television to use as your desktop monitor.

Permalink to story.

I've always been a proponent of using a TV as a monitor for productivity. However, if you are going to use a 4k TV as a monitor make sure you get one with a curve. You'll never why you need to thank me and that's precisely you should do it. You only notice something when it goes wrong or creates an inconvenience. a large, flat screen creates an incredible inconvenience

Been tinkering with this for a couple of months. Glad someone figured it out. Makes DUAL screen gaming possible - now crosshairs can be on the median.

Ultimately, it’ll all come down to how the effect looks in person. Or, you could simply ditch that multi-monitor setup and go with a single, large-screen 4K television to use as your desktop monitor.

I sure as hell hope that article addresses input lag and options how to enable "Gaming Mode"

I sure as hell hope that article addresses input lag and options how to enable "Gaming Mode"
input lag is negligible in everything but fast-pace FPS's. The thing about game modes is that they reduce input lag at the expense of image quality. It's not just post processing, images are grainy and I think many of them go from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 or worse.

For me, at least, the 15 ms response time is negligible. At 60hz that's 1 frame so it's you have to be a real snob to think you notice. I have a bigger problem with ghosting. I don't really game anymore so it's of minor concern to me. When I do game it really isn't a problem for me. I don't know if I've gotten out of gaming because new games suck or that I'm getting older, lol.

input lag is negligible in everything but fast-pace FPS's. The thing about game modes is that they reduce input lag at the expense of image quality. It's not just post processing, images are grainy and I think many of them go from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 or worse.

For me, at least, the 15 ms response time is negligible. At 60hz that's 1 frame so it's you have to be a real snob to think you notice. I have a bigger problem with ghosting. I don't really game anymore so it's of minor concern to me. When I do game it really isn't a problem for me. I don't know if I've gotten out of gaming because new games suck or that I'm getting older, lol.

My main point is during gaming. With the processing times most TVs add on. "Gaming Mode" only minimizes that. Call me a snob, but I want a 165hz monitor with 1ms response time. It's impossible to compete well (in PC gaming) on a TV. I would not game on anything over 5ms response time, at lease any competitive gaming. I've gotten to try out a few of these fancy new gaming monitors. I sure as hell can tell a different between 60hz and 165hz, but I digress. Back to the point, if what you are saying is true, 15 ms, of course I can notice, I'm not sure how you couldnt. Assuming this is with "gaming mode" enabled, because without it... it's got to be muuuuuch more than 15ms on TVs.

For anything other than gaming, sure a TV might work for you.

Edit: Of course, I havent tried out every single TV out there. Maybe some are better than others, but with the handful I've tested... NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Edit2: I'd also like to note, that I am more about performance than fancy visuals. I'll lower my settings for a higher frame rate. I don't care as much about image quality as I do speed and performance.

Well that makes sense, given that at 60 Hz, the screen is refreshed every 16.6ms. In order to enjoy the benefits of sub 16ms response times, a 120 or higher refresh rate monitor would definitely help.

Typically the cheaper gaming monitors will cheap out on image quality for better gaming performance but you can purchase monitors with image quality and gaming performance if you have the cash ($400+).

My main point is during gaming. With the processing times most TVs add on. "Gaming Mode" only minimizes that. Call me a snob, but I want a 165hz monitor with 1ms response time. It's impossible to compete well (in PC gaming) on a TV. I would not game on anything over 5ms response time, at lease any competitive gaming. I've gotten to try out a few of these fancy new gaming monitors. I sure as hell can tell a different between 60hz and 165hz, but I digress. Back to the point, if what you are saying is true, 15 ms, of course I can notice, I'm not sure how you couldnt. Assuming this is with "gaming mode" enabled, because without it... it's got to be muuuuuch more than 15ms on TVs.

Well I don't game anywhere near competitively so it's not important for me at all. I'm saying that for what I use my TV for 15ms response time is unnoticable. I have several settings other than game mode that my TV came with and they range anywhere between 27ms and 42ms. The other settings are great for movies and TV shows but I keep it in game mode 90% of the time. I still score well when I do play an FPS.

But the other settings are so bad that I have to run the audio through my TV to my hometheater because when I'm watching moves the sound delay from my computer is noticable at 42ms.

BTW, I didn't test what my numbers are, it's just what I've been able to online

Or just get a ultra wide curved monitor.... or VR. Both are better than doing this in my opinion.

Is there a reason we are talking response time, in an article about a product that has no lag?
because this is an alternative to a single large display which often has response time issues. You can either deal with this "bandaid" of a solution for multimonitor bezel issues or you can buy a TV which is going to have response time issues. Both are a trade off and application specific

This prism isn't magically creating new pixels... so how is it not doing anything other than stretching the edge pixels.. should look horrible.

Back