Asus Mars II (GTX 480X2)

dividebyzero

Just when you thought Asus had reached the heights of epeen with the Ares, along comes...
Asus_Mars_II.jpg

Orginal article here
While the idea seems completely mental, I think if Techspot ran a competition to win one I would probably enter!
525 watts lordy!

Seriously? That photo looks fabricated to me, but let's suppose it's not... where are you supposed to go with a dual GTX 480 card at this point?

GF104 already proved Fermi could be done much more efficiently, so instead of using two GTX 480 cores, I'd slap two highly overclocked GTX 460 cores or something of that nature and sell the card for $450.

If the pics have been 'shopped, they're good ones. The other two (close ups) on the TPU site look pretty authentic.
Agreed on the lack of rationale behind the concept (performance, cooling, power draw, price etc.), but I don't think Asus are using the same metric as most right-minded people- hence the original Mars and the Ares. And you just know this is a PR stunt like the previous two...$1k+ , limited edition 1,000 made, >>>Ladeeeeeeeesss and gentleman, roll up, roll up and see the amaaaazing Marrrrrrrs 2. It's bling, It's king, It'll make your ears ring!<<<

Somehow I doubt this will be done for anything other than an "Asus has proved that it can be done" moment, not volume production or economic sense.

From a performance level it would kill a GTX 460 SLI setup, or pretty much any other multi-GPU setup -possibly excepting a CrossfireX HD 5970 , thanks to SLI scaling and the onboard NF200 chip as opposed to the bandwidth limitation imposed by SLI and Crossfire connectors.
Could be the first card that would actually be constrained by the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 spec.

It still makes no sense to 99.9999% of PC component buyers obviously, and like the Mars and Ares is guaranteed an exceedingly short reign as the ultimate desktop card. The GTX 460X2 is obviously "do-able", I think will be released and if priced accordingly could sell in a reasonable (for enthusiast cards) volume.
I would think it's still going to suffer from the 256Mb frame buffer in comparison with the 384 and 320 of the GF100 cards at very high res with a heavy tesselation/AO/AA workload.

From what I can see, both chips seem to have to same number printed on them.
And it lacks a cooler, if photoshopped, it would be opportune not to try and come up with a cooling solution!

what is that random white square... lol

if it's a photoshop it's a pretty clever one but if this thing is actually for real, expect a price tag of around or in excess of $1k

@hk
I think you'll find that the numbers are batch/date/fab/gpu stepping codes (for example 1015A3 corresponds with 2010 ,15th week, A3 stepping)

@EXCellR8
From it's placement it, and judging by the 2nd TPU picture it looks like a button of some sort or a voltage read point possibly.

***EDIT*** The story seems to have originated from Slashgear and they state the info comes from Asus, so it would seem legitimate.

oh my.... I think mental was an understatement. That thing needs its own power supply. Heck, give it its own case.

Back