Asus U56E laptop

Got mine in June and it started doing the same thing about a month after I got it. I'm self-employed and use it every day and can't afford to be without it, but something has got to give. It's gone from once or twice a day to four or five. I have tried running it without the battery. I changed a setting in the Startup and Recovery window that does an automatic restart.
It has a fan, but it does it the most after the pc has sat idle for a few hours, but by no means is the only time. Every person I"m finding on the internets who says it's fixed says they had to send it back to Asus for a new motherboard. That's fine if you have a backup pc which I don't. I'd love to hear if there was a solution to this problem found.

Read more: ASUS U56E will occassionally re-boot unexpectedly. Any cur - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/computer/64rgz-asus-u56e-will-occassionally-re-boot-unexpectedly-cur.html#ixzz2CM4GHm7v

Yep, from the little bit of reading I did, it seems like the issue could be a power issue at the motherboard, but we're not even close to saying it's time to return the laptop for service yet. I wanted to first wanted to see if the computer was overheating. If the computer turns off and then when immediately turned back on it won't stay on for more than a minute or so then it could be overheating. There could be memory or even hard drive issues, but the OP seems to have eliminated that with their first post.

Anyone else got a response like this? And keep in mind, this is in response to my inquiry where I specifically said, "I do not game on this computer, and the computer barely, if ever, even feels warm to touch."

[FONT=Verdana]Dear valued customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

For this issue, please load BIOS default first: restart the laptop, press F2 to enter bios-->go to the exit tab and restore factory defaults-->press F10. Meanwhile please check if you current BIOS version is the latest. If not, I suggest you use the winflash utility to update the BIOS in the windows mode. Please firstly download the winflash utility and the latest BIOS, install the winflash utility, run it and then set the path to the BIOS, then flash. You can download the utility and the BIOS from the following website:http://support.asus.com.cn/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=U56E&hashedid=6KBv9FLOCOczEXLJ

For the overheat problem, I suggest you to plug in the AC adapter when you are playing games or other softwares, because the power of game is too large. Then you had better download the NB_Probe to test your temperature of your computer.Please enter the link:http://support.asus.com.cn/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=NB_Probe&hashedid=n/a
If the temperature is really too high,please register the RMA or call the number 888-678-3688 for help. Please enter the following page which is the link of RMA: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx

If you have another problem, please get contact with us ASAP.

Best Regards,
Carol
ASUS Customer Service
[/FONT]

I received the the above response to this inquiry below. This is going to be a nightmare dealing with these people.

[FONT=Verdana][Problem Description]
The computer randomly restarts several times per day for absolutely no reason. It
happens most often after it has been idle. Once I start using it again, it will run for 15
-20 seconds or so, make a click sound and reboot. However, this is by no means the
only time it restarts itself. Often, I will be in the middle of working in Microsoft Word or
Excel, and it will restart.

I run an external fan underneath the computer, and I do not play games on it. About
the only activities I do on my computer is run internet explorer, work on Microsoft
Word, and watch videos on windows media player. The computer hardly ever feels
warm to the touch.

The computer started this probably less than a month after I bought it, but in the last
two months, it has gotten to the point that it is affecting my work productivity, and
about to make me crazy. I am a self-employed one man shop, and this computer is
the most important part of my business. Please advise. [/FONT]

Unknown9122, honestly, I have no idea what that means. I appreciate the response though. I got so mad at the above exchange followed by and equally frustrating exchange with on the phone that I went out and joined the mobs at Walmart trying to get a new computer. Came back empty handed.

I wonder what part of the world this originates from:

[FONT=Verdana]Dear valued customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

Sorry, I think you have 2 problems before. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes to you.

Now for your request, please load BIOS default first: restart the laptop, press F2 to enter bios-->go to the exit tab and restore factory defaults-->press F10. Meanwhile please check if you current BIOS version is the latest. If not, I suggest you use the winflash utility to update the BIOS in the windows mode. Please firstly download the winflash utility and the latest BIOS, install the winflash utility, run it and then set the path to the BIOS, then flash. You can download the utility and the BIOS from the following website:http://support.asus.com.cn/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=U56E&hashedid=6KBv9FLOCOczEXLJ

If still, I suggest you to backup your files and then reinstall the OS for a try.
Please turn on the notebook. Press F9 as soon as you see the ASUS logo, and then choose the [Recover Windows to first partition only].
This option will delete only the first partition, allowing you to keep other partitions(D drive), and create a new system partition as drive “C”.
The restore function would delete all the files in first partition. Please remember to backup the important data before you do the recovery.
Or insert the Recovery CD Disk1. Restart your notebook. Press ESC when you see the ASUS logo, and then choose to boot with ODD to restore, as the mention install Disk 2 to finish restoring.

If you have another problem, please get contact with us ASAP.

Best Regards,
Carol
ASUS Customer Service
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]So I have to go through all of this to eventually get a return ticket to mail this P.O.S. back to them so they can keep it for a month and still not fix it. I wish I had the money to just cut my losses and move on. [/FONT]

Boohower, you have effectively hijacked the original thread in which you posted. Your posts have been separated into their own thread.

Just now saw your post. Thanks for that. I'll try that as soon as I back up all my work stuff and baby videos that my wife would kill me over if I were to lose. Gonna have to go out and buy another hard drive. Yet more frustration with this machine.

I had the same problem on my Asus U56 .. Sadly my warrantee ran out last month. I even did a YouTube video showing the issue

Second video

Back