AT&T brings its 5G network to six more cities, including NYC, Washington DC, and Las Vegas

Polycount

Staff
Bottom line: Like its competitors, AT&T is rushing to expand its new 5G network as much as possible before the end of 2019. So far, the company has performed reasonably well (by modern network provider standards, that is). Earlier this month, they brought the technology to ten US cities, and now, that number has grown even further.

With under a week left in the year, AT&T has successfully rolled out its low-band, wide-range 850MHz 5G network to users in New York City, Baltimore, Detroit, Washington DC, Las Vegas, and Philadelphia.

Based on coverage maps of these areas, it seems like sizable urban portions of each city will have access to AT&T's particular brand of 5G. Still, there are plenty of areas within these locations where 5G hasn't rolled out yet, so expect some spotty coverage while moving around your city.

All in all, AT&T has brought 5G connectivity to just under 20 cities, though precise coverage obviously varies from place to place. It's wise for AT&T to target bigger cities like NYC and Washington DC with its early 5G efforts, but it's unfortunate that so many of the company's users still don't have access yet.

That's likely to change over the next year or two, of course, and given that there isn't exactly a plethora of accessible 5G-ready phones on the market, perhaps it's not too big of an issue for now.

Still, if you want to future-proof yourself for the day when the smartphone market is saturated with 5G devices, both AT&T's Unlimited Elite and Unlimited Extra plans offer 5G connectivity. They'll run you $85 and $75 per month, respectively, with the usual limitations (such as soft data caps) that come along with subscribing to an ''unlimited" plan.

Permalink to story.

Great news for Europe. By the time we get 5G, we will know for sure if it is harmful to one's health or not, like if we hear people in the US start losing hair or something...

Is there a way for AT&T users to tell the difference (on their phones) via a real 5G network vs. AT&T's bogus "5G" that is really just re-branded 4th Gen?

Maybe they're just counting on most consumers not having heard of this marketing stunt, but for those who have like me, the flip side is now that they've cried wolf once, I'm not sure when I should start believing them again.

Is there a way for AT&T users to tell the difference (on their phones) via a real 5G network vs. AT&T's bogus "5G" that is really just re-branded 4th Gen?

Maybe they're just counting on most consumers not having heard of this marketing stunt, but for those who have like me, the flip side is now that they've cried wolf once, I'm not sure when I should start believing them again.

Gotta love how my "5Ge" on AT&T goes completely dead on the Southern State Parkway and some areas in Long Island while they threaten to throttle me if I pass 25GB of Data for the month.

Great news for Europe. By the time we get 5G, we will know for sure if it is harmful to one's health or not, like if we hear people in the US start losing hair or something...

Unfortunately it won't be something simple. Injuries from high energy devices tend to go to cancer in the nearest organs that next to the affected areas .... which in this case will be everything in the area of the head and brain. It will probably take years to develop but I would predict there will be a rash of them and of course the big boys will claim it's not their fault and that dismantlement of their networks will bankrupt them.

How about AT&T spending more time getting their 4G systems to work in these cities. I cant get any more than one bar in the heart of DC.

Back