AT&T's WarnerMedia to launch new streaming service to compete with Netflix

David Matthews

Staff member
Why it matters: The streaming media landscape continues to grow as WarnerMedia will throw its hat into the ring. The new streaming service will combine content from across HBO and Warner properties, potentially making it into a formidable streaming service.

WarnerMedia, the subsidiary created from the AT&T/Time Warner merger, is reportedly launching a new streaming media service. In an internal memo published by CNN, CEO John Stankey laid out the vision for the service:

"Our service will start with HBO and the genre defining programming that viewers crave. On top of that we will package content from Turner and Warner Bros. with their deep brand connections that touch both diverse interests and mass audiences".

The service will apparently gather the enormous content library across HBO and Warner Bros (which includes DC superhero content). This means that subscribers could binge Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, and the DCEU films all on one service. The sheer amount of content will certainly put this new service in contention with Netflix, Amazon, and Disney's upcoming streaming service.

It's not just movies and premium shows like Game of Thrones that may be on the service. Some of the TV shows produced by Warner such as The Big Bang Theory are also in negotiations to be added to the new streaming service. WarnerMedia will have to somehow strike deals with existing distributors like Comcast and networks that regularly host the TV shows such as CBS. Ironically, negotiating terms with CBS would give WarnerMedia a distinct advantage over CBS's own All Access streaming platform.

"While going direct-to-consumer gives us an additional opportunity to reach audiences that aren't part of a traditional subscription service, our wholesale relationships will continue to be an important distribution channel," Stankey said. "So, it will be a priority to work with our partners to deliver a compelling and competitive product that will complement our wholesale distribution, allowing us to reach the largest number of viewers."

WarnerMedia's new streaming service is slated to launch in fourth quarter of 2019. No pricing information has been announced nor the actual name of the streaming service.

Permalink to story.

Another poor service with nothing to watch? I received few emails after I helped one of my relatives to connect to Comcast. Free streaming! We have free streaming! So I went and tried to find A N Ything at all I could watch.
Why do you advertise your garbage? you don't need people to know your have free poo. You are embarrassing yourself. I imagine if the mayor of my city announced the city planning to have a football team when what he meant was his front yard as the infrastructure and his 3 and 6 year old children playing there after school as the team.

Another one to bite the dust, just like YouTube Red... the only companies that can threat Netflix are Warner Studios, Disney and Fox, and that ONLY if they do a Joint Venture with ONE streaming service. and that if they can match the prices and PULL their content off Netflix.

Let's not forget this is AT&T. They don't have to compete with content. With Net Neutrality gone, they can just make other services like Netflix (etc.) barely watchable with throttling, while their stream service magically plays HD content buttery smooth. I'm sure they'll start with a data exemption on their service, as well.

Let's not forget this is AT&T. They don't have to compete with content. With Net Neutrality gone, they can just make other services like Netflix (etc.) barely watchable with throttling, while their stream service magically plays HD content buttery smooth. I'm sure they'll start with a data exemption on their service, as well.

We have a winner here, folks. We're about to enter the dark age of video content. The coming wars between pirates and the media monoliths will be the stuff of bardic sagas.

Perhaps netflix shouldnt have gone gung ho on VPNs, that would have solved this little problem.

Back