AU Optronics is planning a 540Hz Esports display

Daniel Sims

Staff
Can it be done? Panel manufacturer AU Optronics recently unveiled a 500Hz esports gaming monitor in cooperation with Asus and Nvidia. In case that's not enough for some players, reports indicate AUO is pushing that refresh rate even higher. However, some question whether current consumer graphics cards can reach those framerates.

According to a report from TFT Central, an internal roadmap from AU Optronics highlights a few upcoming high-resolution, high-refresh-rate monitor panels. With one of them, the company is trying to reach 540Hz but is yet unsure if it can get there.

The panel marked as M241HTN01.0 may be the same powering the ROG Swift 500Hz display that was unveiled by Asus, Nvidia and AUO in May during Computex. Like the Swift, this panel is meant to power a 24" 1080p display. AUO pegs its latency at "below 3 milliseconds G2G" and "2ms on/off."

TFT calculates that it will need to get under 1.85ms to attain 540Hz. The panel's specs also include HDR, which is not mentioned in the Swift announcement (though it could be "fake" HDR).

Even in esports titles optimized for high frame rates, 540 FPS is a tall order, though features like Nvidia's DLSS could put it within reach of flagship graphics cards. Nvidia's tests show Rainbow Six Siege can hit 281 fps at 4K with DLSS Performance mode (1080p internal resolution). A Reddit post has an RTX 3080 in 1440p DLSS Quality mode (also internally 1080p) managing an average of 372fps and a maximum of 428.

AUO plans to start producing the new panel in Q1 2023, by which time Nvidia RTX 4000 and AMD RX 7000 graphics cards should be here. Perhaps one of them can achieve 500 or higher FPS. CPU power also becomes a key factor in delivering performance at resolutions that low and framerates that high.

The other panels coming from AUO feature more attainable but still high refresh rates at higher resolutions. The roadmap mentions several 4K and ultrawide screens with refresh rates up to 165Hz, an 8K 60Hz panel, and a 1440p 360Hz display. The company also showed off 480Hz monitors earlier this year.

Permalink to story.

I highly doubt if you see any difference in between 240Hz and 560Hz.

Shroud tested that. The FPS past 240Hz does'nt make any sense. Yes you'll notice the jump from 60Hz to 144Hz or 240Hz for example, but anything beyond that is just a waste of power and resources. I mean our human eye cant proces any more quicker.

Shroud tested that. The FPS past 240Hz does'nt make any sense. Yes you'll notice the jump from 60Hz to 144Hz or 240Hz for example, but anything beyond that is just a waste of power and resources. I mean our human eye cant proces any more quicker.
I saw that LTT video too. Optimum Tech on YT (a really good competitive gamer) downgraded from 360Hz back to 240Hz, because he said he didn't get anything from it. Battlenonsense on YT also showed almost nothing is gained beyond 240Hz.

I have 165Hz now and don't see myself going beyond 240Hz unless something changes that in the next 3-5 years mostly because I'd rather cap my frame rate to an fps my card can maintain at all times in certain titles I play for consistent frame times, than try to brute force better perf from a 360Hz+ monitor. 360Hz over 240Hz is under 2ms difference and 99.9% won't notice that. I would try an 8000dpi mouse before I'd buy a 360Hz monitor, and even that polling rate still doesn't work with all games. Valorant being one I believe.

Last edited:
It's not about noticing a difference. You might not see a difference in the blind test (which monitor is 240 and which 540), but your body might still react quicker to 540 rate.

It's not about noticing a difference. You might not see a difference in the blind test (which monitor is 240 and which 540), but your body might still react quicker to 540 rate.
Keyword: might
And notice is the same as feel. If you notice a difference, you'll feel a difference.
Kinda hard to argue against source material with - "MIGHT still react quicker to 540 rate."

Of course it makes sense, but not for the users, but the for manufacturers. Otherwise, how can they
1. Charge you more for common display technology,
2. Segregate themselves from a sea of competitors?

This is no different from the camera megapixel race. Is there any benefit going for very high megapixels? Yes of course. But how many people actually will find it meaningful? May be 0.1%? Depending on the price (which I think they will charge ridiculous amount for it), most people may be better off buying a QD OLED monitor for that kind of money.

Keyword: might
And notice is the same as feel. If you notice a difference, you'll feel a difference.
Kinda hard to argue against source material with - "MIGHT still react quicker to 540 rate."
I didn't mean to argue with you or to pretend that I have better knowledge (I don't). I just merely pointed out that if someone doesn't notice a difference, it doesn't mean there is no difference.

This is niche, expensive equipment. Typically people who buy this stuff know what they are doing. So maybe there is an relevant use case where such refresh rate could benefit a player. I would like to see more in-depth tests.

I didn't mean to argue with you or to pretend that I have better knowledge (I don't). I just merely pointed out that if someone doesn't notice a difference, it doesn't mean there is no difference.

This is niche, expensive equipment. Typically people who buy this stuff know what they are doing. So maybe there is an relevant use case where such refresh rate could benefit a player. I would like to see more in-depth tests.
Linus Tech Tips - Live test w/Shroud and another known competitive gamer (Grim?) and 1 or 2 others.
battle(non)sense - (Best in the biz. Has close ties with AMD and NVIDIA) Hardware tests and comparisons.
Optimum Tech - (Competitive gamer) Hardware tests and comparisons

All on youtube. I'm too lazy to find the videos, but if you want to see them they are there.

Linus Tech Tips - Live test w/Shroud and another known competitive gamer (Grim?) and 1 or 2 others.
battle(non)sense - (Best in the biz. Has close ties with AMD and NVIDIA) Hardware tests and comparisons.
Optimum Tech - (Competitive gamer) Hardware tests and comparisons

All on youtube. I'm too lazy to find the videos, but if you want to see them they are there.
I just watched the first one. It looks like there is almost consistent difference between 144 and 240 in synthetic tests but it doesn't translate into the real game competition. If we eliminate other bottlenecks (like input lag, GPU frame rate), I would expect to see a difference between 240 and 540 as well.

So this is exactly what my first comment was about. Player might seem there is no difference, whereas in reality there is a tiny difference but player's skills vastly outweigh that difference.

I just watched the first one. It looks like there is almost consistent difference between 144 and 240 in synthetic tests but it doesn't translate into the real game competition. If we eliminate other bottlenecks (like input lag, GPU frame rate), I would expect to see a difference between 240 and 540 as well.

So this is exactly what my first comment was about. Player might seem there is no difference, whereas in reality there is a tiny difference but player's skills vastly outweigh that difference.
So you watched one out of three videos and you're still using the word "might."
If you can't be bothered to watch the other two videos, then I can't be bothered with continuing this conversation.

Last edited:
Here's my thinking: Given that there is a difference in synthetic tests, there should be at least potential scenario where someone would benefit from that refresh rate. Let's wait say 10 years for further improves in frame rates and input lag and then re-examine the situation.

Edit: I used word "might" because I don't know preferences of all the gamers. Thus I wanted to avoid general statements.

Last edited:
This is no different from the camera megapixel race. Is there any benefit going for very high megapixels? Yes of course. But how many people actually will find it meaningful? May be 0.1%? Depending on the price (which I think they will charge ridiculous amount for it), most people may be better off buying a QD OLED monitor for that kind of money.
Not really, its quite opposite. Higher refresh rates enable better motion blur reduction technologies as black frame insertation to lower blur and strobing and make image motion crystal clear even on 60 fps. It will be future in getting perfect image Old technology though, doable from 240hz, but they still charge it expensive AF still.

After you reach 120hz the response time and input lag is even more important, while higher refresh rate monitors might naturally do that I personally believe the resources spent to reach 550 hz would be better spent on a higher resolution monitor ( like 4k ) with a lower refresh rate at 120hz minimum ( 240 hz more ideal)
If todays qd oled ( 144 to 170hz) and W oled ( 120 hz) displays are more competitive than any other display when it comes to response times and compete with led monitors with 240 hz and higher. So all high refresh rate monitors do not automatically make you a better Marksman, After reaching 120hz minimum the response times and input lag are equally important to help you improve your odds.
That said I am more excited about dp 2.0 full 80 Gps bandwidth on a qd oled or w oled 4k 240hz to improve on their gaming competitiveness and picture quality for the amount of resources wasted!

Back