Australia passes surveillance bill that lets police take over accounts, alter, and delete...

Daniel Sims

Staff
What just happened? The Australian Senate passed a new surveillance bill that grants police sweeping authority over online data this past week. Presumably, law enforcement will only use the law to combat serious crimes hidden on the dark web, but critics are taking serious issue with how broad the new powers seem.

The Surveillance Legislation Amendment (Identify and Disrupt) Bill 2020 gives the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) powers to modify, add to, copy, or delete data to "frustrate the commission of serious offenses online." To gather evidence of suspected criminal activity, they also have the power to take over online accounts.

The Australian Greens Party's website warns that police can do this without formally accusing a person of a crime. "The Richardson review concluded that this bill enables the AFP and ACIC to be 'judge, jury, and executioner.' That's not how we deliver justice in this country." said Greens senator Lidia Thorpe.

The bill was first introduced late last year and passed both houses on August 25. Now it's just waiting for Royal Assent—that is, final approval by the governor general. The law is designed to tackle severe cyber-related crimes like organized crime and child exploitation.

Last August, former home affairs minister Peter Dutton asserted that police would only use this new law against things like drug trafficking, terrorism, and child exploitation on the dark web. Regarding people who commit those crimes, Dutton said the powers would apply "to those people and those people only."

Australia's Human Rights Law Centre was able to call for specific safeguards to prevent police from using the law against journalists and whistleblowers. However, the HRLC doesn't think the precautions go far enough.

"While the safeguards for journalists and whistleblowers are welcome, they highlight the lack of wider entrenched safeguards for press freedom and free speech in Australia," HRLC senior lawyer Kieran Pender wrote in a statement on the law center's website. "By enacting wide-ranging surveillance and secrecy laws in the absence of federal human rights laws, successive governments have put the cart before the horse." In the end, the HRLC estimates that parliament adopted only about half of the changes it recommended.

The HRLC also criticized the speed of the law's passage through parliament. "It is alarming that, instead of accepting the [parliamentary joint committee on intelligence and security's] recommendations and allowing time for scrutiny of subsequent amendments, the Morrison Government rushed these laws through Parliament in less than 24 hours," Pender said.

Permalink to story.

In other words, they can do what they want to people online, and we're just supposed to believe they are targeting to worst of the worst.

Nothing stopping them from fabricating evidence and jailing anyone opposing the New World Order.

This has NOTHING to do with justice.

Lets just wait until the people who passed this bill are being abused by it. Imagine the damage a hacker could do by getting into and abusing police systems.

Imagine police offers going to jail from other police officers investigating them. This will be imteresting to watch for sure.

Lets just wait until the people who passed this bill are being abused by it. Imagine the damage a hacker could do by getting into and abusing police systems.

Imagine police offers going to jail from other police officers investigating them. This will be imteresting to watch for sure.

We can hope, but by looking at how conveniently the nsa, cia, fbi and whoever else is there, never seems to find anything against those in power, I dare saying they have some kind of protection that will cover them.

As an Australian, first hearing about this bill a) after it has already passed, and b) on an American tech news website, is pretty concerning. Absolutely none of our local major media outlets have reported anything whatsoever regarding this bill, with the sole exception of Sky News. Zip else. This is clearly being suppressed by local media outlets

We can hope, but by looking at how conveniently the nsa, cia, fbi and whoever else is there, never seems to find anything against those in power, I dare saying they have some kind of protection that will cover them.
NSA, CIA, FBI, and all of the other alphabet-agencies would have all kinds of **** on politicians and decision makers, that's precisely how they continue to get their way on everything

I feel confident that police and intellligence "services" have been doing this for a long time on a big scale, with or without just cause. The only difference is that now evidence gathered in this manner can be used in a court. Before, they had to find some other charges before they could formally take someone to court...

As an Australian, first hearing about this bill a) after it has already passed, and b) on an American tech news website, is pretty concerning. Absolutely none of our local major media outlets have reported anything whatsoever regarding this bill, with the sole exception of Sky News. Zip else. This is clearly being suppressed by local media outlets
You can say that again. I feel the same way. I consider myself quite active across the space and this is the first time I've heard of it also. All part of the plan I'm sure.

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but they will ONLY do it if you've committed a crime. They will not do it for no reason.

Silly claim --->>> "The law is designed to tackle severe cyber-related crimes like organized crime and child exploitation."

No it's not. Everyone knows that the Leftist elite doesn't care about organized crime and child exploitation. They will use this to root around in the accounts of private citizens. Just like Apple has been doing in iPhones. Get real.

This is to suppress regular people. It's part of the New World Order and the Great Reset. It's coming down on your heads at the speed of light.

Yep. They operate in the dark. That's how you know it's Satanic.

Folks, we're in the last day. Line up to get your mark of the beast. Without it you will not be able to buy, sell or live any kind of meaningful life. That's if they even let you live.

Read the last book in the Bible, The Revelation of John.

Welcome to the new Soviet Union\Nazi state of Australia. For letting your government get this far out of control, you deserve the results.

Folks, we're in the last day. Line up to get your mark of the beast. Without it you will not be able to buy, sell or live any kind of meaningful life. That's if they even let you live.
I thought that's what the covid vaccine was for, so you could see the "mark of the beast", under UV light. No? You know, so you can get in and out of hell without paying another cover charge.

Last edited:
Read the last book in the Bible, The Revelation of John.
Some people like to claim, "why the church would fall down if I walked in there". I don't possess that much self confidence. But, I bet I could peel some paint off the walls if I really put my mind to it.

That being said, the last days may indeed, be upon us. However, don't blame it on "god", or credit it to the devil. All these plagues we're experiencing, we've visited upon ourselves.

Besides, if there's any book more annoying to try and read than "The Complete works of William Shakespeare", it's gotta be the Bible.

The question is... WHY?

If they know who these people are, why do you have to play with their data...? Just take it down and arrest them. You dont pass a wide-sweeping law/bill that includes everyone with no safe.guards like subpoena, etc.

FWIW: Punishment is not harsh enough for predators. Just to catch a few criminals. Just make a mockery of them and execute these traffickers on National TV and show them that YOUR SOCIETY abhors filth.

Australia has goen full police state over the last year and a half, using COVID as an excuse.
The question is... WHY?

If they know who these people are, why do you have to play with their data...? Just take it down and arrest them. You dont pass a wide-sweeping law/bill that includes everyone with no safe.guards like subpoena, etc.

FWIW: Punishment is not harsh enough for predators. Just to catch a few criminals. Just make a mockery of them and execute these traffickers on National TV and show them that YOUR SOCIETY abhors filth.
Why? Simple. When they find someone that says a naughty about the government being totalitarian, they can *legally* change anythign that person said, take control of their account, ece.

This has nothing to do with "muh children" and everything to do with controling people. If this were China everyone would be in an uproar, but since it's a five eyes country people give the benefit of the doubt to the government, which is the WORST thing you can do.

Wow. Scary

Yeah, no. Australia's government is right-wing and known to be in the Murdoch's pocket.
While they're 'right wing' in the sense of being to the right of the only other major party and they tend to sometimes be in favour of lowering taxes, the whole party is basically equivalent to RINOs in the US.

They're conservative in an economic sense only, and are otherwise completely trigger happy in implementing federal power grabs, expanding the surveillance/police state, reducing civil liberties and not giving a stuff about citizens' rights or freedoms

There is no bill of rights in Australia, and citizens have no protection from the boot of government other than by way of laws that can be changed at any moment by that very same government.....

This is EXACTLY what you get when people expect the government to solve all of the problems, because in Australia that's what both sides of politics have always done. The LNP in Australia have been no less predisposed to push for big-daddy-government solutions to things than Labor are

Back