Autoplay video ads will start invading Facebook Messenger users starting Monday

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: Most people do not like autoplay videos in general. The fact that most major browsers now either mute or block these annoyances by default attests to this claim. Despite their unpopularity, Facebook is going forward with autoplay video ads within its mobile Messenger app.

As if autoplay videos on websites were not enough to annoy the average user, Facebook is now planning on implementing autoplay video ads within its Messenger app. Now, as you have a chat with your buddy, you can be introduced to the “best adult game on the internet” with full pictures and sound.

Apparently, the social media titan is running out of places to put advertising now that it can’t sell your data as easily as it once could. According to ReCode, it has already implemented static ads within Instagram Stories and Facebook Marketplace. It has also been testing static ads in Messenger and video ads in Facebook videos that are more than 20 seconds long. Now it feels that Messenger is a great place for video advertising as well.

A Facebook spokesperson painted quite a rosy picture of the move telling Quartz, “We will be rolling out video ads gradually and thoughtfully. People that use Messenger each month are our top priority, and they will remain in control of their experience.”

"When we tested basic ads, didn’t show any changes with how people used the platform or how many messages they send."

This gradual rollout is scheduled to start on Monday, June 25 with a small batch of users. Presumably, Facebook wants to start small to see how the public reacts. I would suspect that it is not going to go over too well. However, Facebook is optimistic.

“Top priority for us is user experience,” said Messenger’s head of ad business Stefanos Loukakos. “So we don’t know yet [if these will work]. However, signs until now, when we tested basic ads, didn’t show any changes with how people used the platform or how many messages they send. Video might be a bit different, but we don’t believe so.”

Usage of the messaging app may not have changed, but that does not necessarily mean that users were happy with the “basic ads.” When asked about feedback received during the prior testing period, the Facebook spokesperson declined to comment.

Permalink to story.

I do not even have their worthless messenger app anyway - they have horrific privacy issues with it.

Any bets they are getting kickbacks from cell companies on the extra data usage?

Just a month ago Facebook was apologizing and promising to get back to what made Facebook good in the first place...I didn't realize that meant intrusive ad's.
I think it means that they'll go back to finding new ways take advantage of user date to sell ads. Watch for targeted ads based on what is being discussed. Facebook has the least integrity of all the big tech companies, IMO.

I disabled (why can't I delete) the Facebook app from my android phone about a month ago as it would not stop sending me notifications even when I had them turned off. I now just log onto the web once and awhile to check it. I do have messenger and it's a good way to communicate with people but I will be deleting it if there are ads. I'll go back to texting like when I had a flip phone or go back further to straight up just calling people if I have to.

Their messenger app always lies and says you have a new message just to get clicks and or to try to get you to reinstall it. Facebooks msger autoplay video ads are just another nail in their coffen.

In my opinion this company is run by chimps and every day it is becoming more frustrating to use. I too deleted messenger and no longer use it. With the amount of rubbish on Facebook these days I am sure it won't be long before I delete it as well.

Back