AVG Antivirus..

Status
Not open for further replies.

raadeekaa

Hai,
I downlaoded AVG Antivirus free trial and updated it regularly.. but after the trial period expired, i downlaoded new trial and installed it.. but it says, the trial period has expired.. how can i rectify this.. The same thing happened with Spysweeper..
Plz help me to clear this problem..
Thanx,
Radhika

:wave: Yep that's the way to do It I started off with The free version becaue my Norton Antivirus Full system scan will not work

Excellent advice realblackstuff EXCELLENT

I us AVG and Norton.. Avg has found things that norton didn't including a virus i had on a cd-r from 3 years ago that i didn't know i had. AVG is the way to go!!!

raadeekaa said:
Hai,
I downlaoded AVG Antivirus free trial and updated it regularly.. but after the trial period expired, i downlaoded new trial and installed it.. but it says, the trial period has expired.. how can i rectify this.. The same thing happened with Spysweeper..
Plz help me to clear this problem..
Thanx,
Radhika

hey radhika i

check out digit they have that almost every month it is cheaper than using dial up for download,but check before getting digit they have a listing in the cover.

you can get a free copy of anti virus programs from the US government. I'll try to send you one.

I emailed you a copy of Norton corporate anti-virus. It's fully legal.

AVG Antivirus

I think you must purchase a AVG 7 single professional edition which help you to have latest virus encyclopedia and removal tools and with additional features. It is the cheapest solution in the market these days just Rs. 2200/- (INR) and LICENCE IS VALID FOR 2 (TWO) YEARS from htt://welcome4solutions.com or email them at avg@welcome4solutions.com.

They will provide you full support for the software.

Why pay when you can get it (legally) for free?
Unless you co to all sorts of pr0n and warez websites, there is no need for that pro-version.

I totally agree with Bipolar_Gargoyl. I use both as well. I have a licensed copy of Norton's. But the "free" AVG seems to find more stuff. I doubt I will renew Norton's this year!

Also, RealBlackStuff. I downloaded spysweeper from that link you gave. It downloaded as a trial version.

Spyweeper FREE VERSION

Realblackstuff, is there anymore FREE spysweeper version for download?

and yeah, i also followed the link you post, but i got the trial version only and yet its not even the newest version/build, coz it detected that i already have the newest trial version installed... the site must not yet been updated i think..

so, do they still offer the real free version?

big thanks! you're a great help to all of us.. :) :grinthumb

realblackstuff said:
I hate to admit it, but the M$ beta-tool does a better job for free.

Hells bells RBS, never thought I would see the day.

Microsofts share price has just gone up lol

Only kidding mate.

Regards Howard :haha: :haha:

I use both as well, I agree that avg finds viruses that norton doesn't, but believe it or not, i've had norton find a virus that avg couldnt find. Anti-virus programs seem to be getting like anti-spyware programs, can't kill everything with just one.

Has anyone had trouble with AVG free version lately? What I mean is, when I try to download the latest updates, they'll download, but won't install. I get some message about the file being corrupted. I've tried it several times from the grisoft free site and also by clicking on the icon below and clicking "update". Just wondering if anyone else has had this trouble.

Shane

I updated my AVG free today without any problems.

Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the programme?

Regards Howard :grinthumb

I personally haven't tried it, but a guy on another message board had the very same trouble, uninstalled AVG, removed registry references, then tried to reinstall. He got a message that he couldn't install because a previous version of AVG was on his computer--though he could find no references to it anywhere. So, I guess I'm afraid to try because I may lose the program all together.

Shane

I have had 1 glitch only with them. A downloaded copy (2-3 weeks old) would not install on 2 different PCs. I made a fresh download, and all went well.
Sometimes they introduce a bug of some kind, but it gets sorted real quick.
Do a fresh download from maybe a day later and all should be well.

jimflint1 said:
I personally haven't tried it, but a guy on another message board had the very same trouble, uninstalled AVG, removed registry references, then tried to reinstall. He got a message that he couldn't install because a previous version of AVG was on his computer--though he could find no references to it anywhere. So, I guess I'm afraid to try because I may lose the program all together.

Shane

Gotta change something to fix the problem and reinstalling the program is usually a good place to start. Antivirus software is basically useless without updates anyway, so if you "Lost" it you wouldn't be loosing much

Well, I did it. I went into safe mode, unintalled avg, then re-downloaded it from their site. It came downloaded as needing updates, so I clicked on the update button and the updates downloaded, but once again, I got the corrupt file error message. Any ideas?

Shane

AVG Download

Just uninstall the old version of AVG using Control Panell/Add remove programs.
Download new AVG Personal (Classic) and install. Restart computer (to be sure), then run AVG Internet Update. Everything should be cool from then on. If you can't update, you have a firewall installed blocking your access (ZoneAlarm?) to these sites. Down load and use M$ Beta SpyWare Blocker as default. Then try to update. When M$ Window appears ALLOW.

BTW Guinness is good for you?

I found this just cruising around google. It looks like others besides me are having the same problem:

Problems Downloading AVG Updates?
from the May 2005 Newsletter

AVG from Grisoft is probably the most popular free anti-virus program. Over the years many have switched it from their paid-for anti-virus program with good results. However, lately the Actrix Help Desk has reported that quite a few customers have noticed a problem with downloading the weekly virus definition updates.

The problem would appear to be something to do with the capacity of the servers AVG has devoted to updates for their Free Edition software. Hopefully they will get the problem fixed sometime soon, but at the moment we aren't sure whether they are looking into it. Some of the more cynical have suggested that it might be a deliberate attempt to force users to change to a paid version of the software. Some customers have said that downloading the latest version of the AVG program has fixed the problem for them. If you would like to try this the latest version is available from: http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php.

Alternately you can download the AVG updates manually from: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Updates/lng/us/tpl/tpl01.

To do this just go to the above address and download the update files listed to a folder on your computer such as the desktop. Once the downloads have completed you will need to follow these steps to install the update(s):

Open the AVG Control Centre, (double click on the AVG icon by the clock on the bottom right of your screen).
Click on Update Manager.
Click the Update button.
Click the Folder button.
Browse to the folder you saved the files to, single left-click to select it and then click 'Ok'.
Click 'Yes' to install the update(s) and then 'Ok' when the process is complete.
Unfortunately if AVG does not fix the automatic update service you will want to do this at least once a week to ensure AVG is kept up to date.

Otherwise there are other free anti-virus programs available such as:

- Avast, from: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html. This one seems to be a good alternative to AVG but we are still testing Avast to determine how good the free edition is.

- Antivir, from: http://www.free-av.com/. Antivir does not provide as comprehensive protection as AVG and is not as user-friendly, but it is certainly better than having no virus protection at all.

-ClamWin, from http://www.clamwin.net/. ClamWin is used by a few Actrix staff who report that it seems to do a great job. It is very unobtrusive (you don't know it's there) and downloads updates automatically by default.

Feel free to experiment with these programs If you install one and don't like it, they are usually easy to remove (Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs).

I'm sure you'll find full instructions for removal on their site. If it was to easy to remove a trojan could do it for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back