Avg Virus Scanner- Do I Have A Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmAsHeR

I have been using AVG virus protection from Grisoft for some time now but i have a problem with it. It keeps telling me that i have the virus Dropper.Small.4.AG. I searched google and found that the virus only get detected by AVG Virus Scanning. Is it a virus or is it a glitch from AVG?

AVG has a great heurstical scanner. For virus software, heuristic algorithms are "smart software" which detects new and unknown viruses.

It could either be an uknown virus, or a spyware. "Dropper" could very well stand for spyware, which AVG often detects as unknown viral bodies. So it may be relatively harmless.

And not all... Any, I mean... virus scanners are perfect. This could be a mistake too. Kavsperksy also has a great heuristical scanner and will detect many spyware / adware related programs as potential threats. But about 99% of the time, you'll find it is best to remove these things anyway.

I don't know what it is because when i tried to remove it, my computer started acting kind of funny. I would restart my computer and my icons would quit working after a while. the computer would not lock up, just the problem with the icons. i put the virus back and everything works fine now. i just keep getting those annoying virus detected warnings.

this is from my virus scanner log

24BF2115D284}\RP34\A0015216.EXE Trojan horse Dropper.Small.4.AG
C:\WINDOWS\INETPAL\M3TSP8.EXE Trojan horse Dropper.Small.4.AG
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.LOG Cannot open; not checked!

Test finished, duration 00:50:31.4 s
46587 objects tested, 2 found infected

:confused: puke: :confused:

Those are NOT real system files and I'm absolutely sure they are some sort of virus / trojan.

Perhaps try removing the virus in safe mode.

I would get spyware/adaware and run those, as well as update AVG to the most recent definitions. In addition to AVG, I'd run TrendMicrosystem's online scanner (housecall) or another virus scanner in addition to AVG (as scanners frequently pick up different sets of viruses, and have different cleaning abilities.)

Either way, with a trojan, I usually recommend backing up the data and reinstalling the operating system as soon as possible.

INetPal Trojan Horse Dropper

I ran into this same trojan this morning while downloading a screensaver. I ran my AVG anti-virus, moved it to the vault, and removed it. All is well now. Can't understand why your AVG didn't remove it right. But I know absolute crapola about most things like this.

But I have become proficient in removing viruses, after having used Kazaa for a while (damn people spreading viruses through "supposed" music files).

For the record... "Dropper" is a generic term AVG uses for certain heuristical patterns. It means that AVG is nearly certain this is a true virus, just it has no record on file for the specific pattern that it sees.

The Inetpal file mentioned above still gives high credibility to spyware/adware.

AVG Checking outgoing E-mails

I downloaded the latest version 7.0.289 yesterday and it's driving me crazy! It checks outgoing mail with attachments. I'm trying to send one photo and it has already taken 28 minutes and the AVG E-mail Scanner window says it is 46% complete. I thought I had disabled "check outgoing mail" and I rebotted the computer, but it's still doing it.

Avg

Everytime I try to get to the site to download AVG, it tells me that i cannot connect to grisoft, is there any where else I can go to download avg?

now that I have AVG...when i open it to scan, it automatically closes itself?, I can't get it to stay open for more then like 5 seconds at a time :dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back