Baldur's Gate 3's first patch is so big, the notes exceeded Steam's text limit

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Baldur's Gate 3 developer Larian Studios has published the game's first major patch, and it's a doozy. According to the studio, the update is so extensive that the changelog actually exceeded Steam's text limit.

Patch #1 fixes more than 1,000 bugs and addresses balancing, flow issues, and much more. Among the many issues that have been resolved include a glitch where NPCs can sometimes spot you when they shouldn't be able to, randomly floating props like newspapers and mugs, and a bug where Shadowheart's romance scene doesn't trigger for some players.

The update additionally takes care of a handful of visual bugs and applies some more post-launch polish, Larian Studios said.

The full list of fixes is available over on Larian Studios' website. The developer said it will continue to iron out any remaining bugs and encourages players to reach out with problems they may encounter in the game.

An unfinished version of Baldur's Gate 3 was released in early access format way back on October 6, 2020, but the full version only dropped on August 3 of this year for Windows. A proper release for macOS and PlayStation 5 is slated for September 6, and we are told that an Xbox Series release will happen sometime before the end of the year.

Related reading: Baldur's Gate 3 tops charts as highest-rated PC game ever on Metacritic, best overall game ever on OpenCritic

Pricing starts at $59.99 for the base game over on Steam (tack on another $9.99 if you want the digital deluxe edition DLC). The PlayStation 5 version will set you back $69.99 for the base game or $79.99 for the digital deluxe edition. It's worth noting that the PS5 digital deluxe edition will put the game in your hands four days early, if that sort of thing matters to you. No word yet on how much the Xbox Series version will sell for.

Have you had a chance to play the game yet and if so, what are your thoughts?

Permalink to story.

Only Larian game I've ever played is Divinity Original Sin 2 and it was among the best rpg type games I've ever played. Might pick this up.

4.5GB patch.

I've put about 2 hours into the game, just getting the feel for things and so far it kind of reminds me of a mashup of Divinity Original Sin games and Neverwinter Night games.
Steam shows the patch as 2.2GB for me. It loaded at around 10am today.

I'm at the end of act 1 and so far the game is incredible. I played BG1 & 2 back when they first released and didn't think Larian could match them. I was wrong. There are now hundreds of mods to tailor you experience.

Looks like an unfinished game, released too soon, and patching up after release. If you need to release a patch THIS big, that says something. This is one reason I never buy games on Day 1 of release. As usual, I'll wait for the Gold/GOTY/Ultimate version next year or so, and when on sale. I'll let the Day 1 and "pre-purchase" suckers/paying beta testers buyers buy first.

Looks like an unfinished game, released too soon, and patching up after release. If you need to release a patch THIS big, that says something. This is one reason I never buy games on Day 1 of release. As usual, I'll wait for the Gold/GOTY/Ultimate version next year or so, and when on sale. I'll let the Day 1 and "pre-purchase" suckers/paying beta testers buyers buy first.
You want a game that's still unfinished, go play Dying Light 2. That was a train wreck and still is. It's only been out about 1.5 years now and they still can't fix things on it. Compared to that POS, BG3 is a masterpiece.

You want a game that's still unfinished, go play Dying Light 2. That was a train wreck and still is. It's only been out about 1.5 years now and they still can't fix things on it. Compared to that POS, BG3 is a masterpiece.
I'm a fan of Larian Studios since the days of Divine Divinity, and I have completed it many times.

And I was glad BG3 is finally going turn-based, since I detested Black Isle Studios' real-time combat. I still prefer the combat in the SSI's Gold Box series games.

I'm also waiting to play BG3, but not at the full price, and especially not at the current state. It has become a trend for companies to release unfinished games and give excuse in the name of patches.

I will get BG3 later, when it is released on sale and fully completed with all add-ons.

And I'm in no hurry to play it now, and not compulsed to purchase it at full price now since I have other games that keep me occupied.

Masterpiece or not, it's still unfinished.

I'm a fan of Larian Studios since the days of Divine Divinity, and I have completed it many times.

And I was glad BG3 is finally going turn-based, since I detested Black Isle Studios' real-time combat. I still prefer the combat in the SSI's Gold Box series games.

I'm also waiting to play BG3, but not at the full price, and especially not at the current state. It has become a trend for companies to release unfinished games and give excuse in the name of patches.

I will get BG3 later, when it is released on sale and fully completed with all add-ons.

And I'm in no hurry to play it now, and not compulsed to purchase it at full price now since I have other games that keep me occupied.

Masterpiece or not, it's still unfinished.

But that statement is like a given. All software these days is unfinished. It's just assumed that bugs will be squashed or found later. This is a given, expected, the norm. The fact that this game got glowing reviews from the launch is amazing. And the bug squashing just gives more proof of how incredible it is.

All software is unfinished in the sense that it more than likely contains bugs. But if the developers released the game they set out to release then on that level it is complete.

I will simply add this, I played this since the early access launch over 2 years ago, and I can tell you the amount of work and polish Larian put into this title is unheard of. I love the early access model when it is done right, which is to develop and polish as much as possible before main release. It gives them access to hundreds of play testers that other studios don't get to leverage. Lets be clear, this isn't a day one patch. The game came out over 3 weeks ago. Almost every other AAA Title is doing day 1 or week one major patches. Anyone play cyberpunk, fallout 76, all pretty much unplayable at launch. With the exception of a few issues that would cause major issues (Although most of those were solved by reloading), the patch is continuing to polish the game, and flesh out some logic, which with the number of different ways this game can be played is not surprising.

Back